• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Issue #82 of MAD is a key solely because of it's cover.......1763607132_DSCN4931-Edited.thumb.jpg.0411632ef9abc172ec441f2649165ae1.jpg

seems to sell for $25 it doesnt quite cut the mustard.

8 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

a person would be lucky to get $5 for any other issue within a year of this one going in both directions....

I know i just cant justify calling a $25 book a 'key book'.

6 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Anyone mention the Moon Knight Splatt covers yet?

I wouldn’t pay the $40 or more some do but I’ve found em in dollar bins :)

image.jpeg.d22a7c7b2a502b6bea04ce559f25dc89.jpeg

image.jpeg.148cba349f9542ae504f24e48ff2b88e.jpeg

You posted pics of the wrong issues. The Platt Moon Knights are also about the interior art, except for the two issues (58 & 59) for which he only did the covers that are coincidentally (NOT!) the cheapest of the six-issue run.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:34 AM, 1950's war comics said:

Issue #82 of MAD is a key solely because of it's cover.......1763607132_DSCN4931-Edited.thumb.jpg.0411632ef9abc172ec441f2649165ae1.jpg

I love that cover!

But isn't #166 more on topic?

"1st comic appearance of the middle finger" .... needed an origin story to be key though...

Speaking about Tec' 880... I just love talking 'Tec 880... I can't help myself... Firstly:

image.png.17548a917e2a5a5fcd2fa94f84be465b.png

This made me laugh my off. It's true, I can completely understand why people would hate it. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. But Secondly, this:

On 4/23/2020 at 7:56 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

It transcends the standard monthly comic cover. I love that it's disturbing, risky and surreal. It's also a contemporary, striking and original realization which perfectly complements the character. Honestly, you shouldn't want to look at the Joker: He represents madness, cruelty, murder -- the worst of humanity. Yet this image has the power to draw you in because you really have to get into the detail of it, going against the viewer's (most likely) initial reaction to be somewhat repulsed. From there, it provokes further thought about his relationship with the Bat. Is it pleasing to look at? Perhaps no, but I think it is one of the best, most faithful interpretations of the crazy, psychopathic Joker I've ever seen.

Is such a poetic and accurate summary of what makes this cover so intriguing. The cover articulates the Joker's obsession of Batman so vividly. It captures insanity in 1 faithful image. 

What I love most about 'Tec 880 though, aside from the fact that we got one of my favourite Batman covers of all time, is exactly this: It's the penultimate issue of an amazing story (and an amazing comic run! 880 issues, I mean, come on):

On 4/23/2020 at 1:57 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Again, I wouldn't say cover alone drives the value as the OP requested:

• A Joker appearance will already cause at least a modest bump in almost any Batman issue.
  • It had a low print run relative to the rest of the series. 
  • It's both the penultimate issue from a writer/story that is held in very high regard by fans and of the original 'Tec run itself.

No doubt the cover is most of the recognition, but these other factors have substance beyond the eye candy and all come together for this one book which helped justify the higher price as it began to escalate.

It's a recommend read for sure for anyone who truly loves crime noir books. Francesco Francavilla should not be overlooked and is amazingly juxtaposed with Jock's work. 'Tec 880 is both a blessing and a curse. People collect 880 because of the cover, and overshadows such a visceral story. 880 also gives Black Mirror a chance to stand the test of time, if we are so lucky for people to actually read the books that they buy...

Sorry, just wanted to post my appreciation for posts that resemble my affinity for one of my favourite stories, and cover, of all time.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:00 PM, kav said:

The whole idea of Joker bugs me.  I have dealt with actual insane people.  They do not make good masterminds about anything.  They tend to get apprehended quickly, for one thing.

Please define “insane people”....

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Please define “insane people”....

I dont think it is possible but I have just dealt with people that were committed or when i was a kid going with my mom who was a social worker to halfway houses.  Them guys acted nothin like the Joker.

There's no real way to define it I guess but if someone talks to themselves about aliens putting computer chips in their brain or as one guy said he invented a shark attack protection hat-one half filled with sand the other half with water.
Insane.

Or the girl I knew who would slice her nose with a razor once a week to 'let the blood out' so her face wouldnt puff up and she couldnt go to heaven-and who used to come around asking if i had seen my sister who was dead.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I dont think it is possible but I have just dealt with people that were committed or when i was a kid going with my mom who was a social worker to halfway houses.  Them guys acted nothin like the Joker.

Prove it

1 minute ago, kav said:

I guess the Joker was just the right kind of crazy...