• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder what hapen to all of the boardies and collectors who said they couldn't wait for prices to fall so that they could start buying again. (:

From my own personal POV, I find that most buyers want to buy into a rising market and actually not when the market is falling.  hm

Yup

Most who say they can’t wait for prices to drop so they can start buying again....won’t be buying on the way down.    Tough to throw money at books when your entire collection is taking a bath. 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s funny. Soothing, too!

Wouldn't it be nice to be young again and back in the day's of the 80's with that big mop of hair, and able to grab those wants of yours at 80's prices.  :takeit:

I've been selling some books on CL.

My quality stuff has still done well, but my "small potatoes" stuff has gotten pummeled.

Some examples..... all of these books are small potatoes, but still, I wanted to make more than they sold for.  I hope this trend levels off.

My Xmen 101 3.5 sold for $128 which is about HALF of the last sale a month ago.

My Xmen 100 5.0 sold for $77, which is about $35 less than the average.  

My New Teen Titans 1 9.4 sold for $88 which is $50 less than average

My Hulk 182 4.0 sold for $61 which is a laughable $94 LESS than the average. :pullhair:

My TMNT 6 9.0 sold for $31, which is less than half of the average (did I even pay for the slabbing cost on this one, lol?)

Last night my Conan 1 -5.5 sold for only $232.  Ugh! :facepalm: The last GPA for that one is $439.  Man.... I just want it back now.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, gadzukes said:

My quality stuff has still done well, but my "small potatoes" stuff has gotten pummeled.

My TMNT 6 9.0 sold for $31, which is less than half of the average (did I even pay for the slabbing cost on this one, lol?)

Well, the one big benefit going forward out of this is that the problem with both CCS's and CGC's turnaround times will eventually end up taking care of itself.  (thumbsu

On 7/10/2022 at 5:04 AM, gadzukes said:

Some examples..... all of these books are small potatoes, but still, I wanted to make more than they sold for.  I hope this trend levels off.

My Hulk 182 4.0 sold for $61 which is a laughable $94 LESS than the average. :pullhair:

Last night my Conan 1 -5.5 sold for only $232.  Ugh! :facepalm: The last GPA for that one is $439.  Man.... I just want it back now.

I think it will take some time for the market to bottom out.

Sellers won't sell, buyers will wait - stagnation period ahead.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:04 PM, gadzukes said:

Hate that for you. As a buyer I have bought Conan 1's in the last three CL auctions due to the prices.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:04 PM, gadzukes said:

I don't track Conan #1, but what was Conan #1 growth in the lead up / up to Marvel starting to print it again 2019?
Only asking because it was recently reported that Marvel have lost the licensing.
Again.
So, there may have been a spec 'push' with the thinking Disney may release a Conan movie...synergy and all that...

Edited by Troy Division

On 7/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, gadzukes said:

Same here on my CL auctions.  Most were dismal and a few were a disaster!! 
Not selling/listing on CL for a while. I'll just hang onto the books until the situation improves..provided it will.   

On 7/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Troy Division said:

I don't track Conan #1, but what was Conan #1 growth in the lead up / up to Marvel starting to print it again 2019?
Only asking because it was recently reported that Marvel have lost the licensing.
Again.
So, there may have been a spec 'push' with the thinking Disney may release a Conan movie...synergy and all that...

Conan 1 is Conan 1.  It's a great book to have.  A KEY.  I can't believe it fell thru the cracks.  Sad.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, JB123 said:

Heritage customer who bought on margin last year....................

IMG_20220710_125415185_HDR.jpg

Or it could also be CCS/CGC submittors who sent in their books last year hoping to cash into the crypto-like rising comic book marketplace only to see their books still stuck in long term storage while prices on some of these once red hot books have dropped by big double digit percentages in the interim and probably still further down by the time they actually get their books back either later this year or into next year.  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:  :censored:

I don't know but I've sold more comics since this supposed down than I ever have in my life. It's our biggest year ever in over forty years.

I don't get it? Maybe the fixed multi generational income crowd is bigger than we think?

Population is getting older in general etc....

Those people can pay for hundreds of lives with some of the retirement funds out there.

I've seen social security checks over three grand............

What's going on?