• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

A real professional investment manager is always selling something regardless of the market.

It's when you reposition for the next wave. 

They don't sit still and hope.

They actually do work. The real ones that are effective do.

The only thing that would hold that up is if you had an item that couldn't be replaced. It's truly rare. In that scenario they hold on usually if set up with other items that can be sold to play their game etc......

Further consider this. If everything has dropped and this crew is identifying what is not performing and why.......

Why not sell something at a low.price and then buy into another better performer at that low price?

It's a fair trade at moment but because of the traders sophistication it outperforms the traded off item in future.

That's how you stay active and keep.moving along.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:59 AM, JB123 said:

A real professional investment manager is always selling something regardless of the market.

It's when you reposition for the next wave. 

Why not sell something at a low.price and then buy into another better performer at that low price?

Thats the two big questions right now, who and what is going to be in the next wave....   In this wave we saw the usual GA, SA candidates, with early Avengers rising strongly.   But the big surprise was in the BA books, and even modern books, TMNT1 leading the race.   I think the big learning curve for me was around modern (30-40 year old books) joining the pack for collectibility.   Still a long way to go, and outside of the obvious MA keys, what will be sought after going forward.   

The other big issue is holding books that are desirable now.   If you're holding personal favourites, great.  But if your holding books with an eye to sell at a future time, which books, titles, characters, keys, will feature in the next wave.  

I'm noticing large price differences in keys with same grades and white pages v off-white.

Last example I saw was at mycomicshop for Dr strange number ones in 9.8.

The white page version was quite a bit more asking price.

Page quality is everything when collecting paper and in rough times it comes down to the very best which has the real value and moves forward.

It's the cherry.........

We had a local dealer who was buying cgc comics like a madman and he was touting he didn't care about page quality as long as it graded out? I was wondering when he said that awhile back if he was of sound mind?

I bet he's wondering now.....

On that note I have a brittle .5 SSS 6 for sale if anyone is interested. Decent front cover..............

I totally agree but............

As soon as a real doom movie with offshoot characters is announced the massive rush will be on.

After that a dedicated human torch movie complete with the android and more offshoot characters will seal the deal again.

Those two characters have never been done right and have massive potential.

Marvel.comics one would make a comeback.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, JB123 said:

I'm noticing large price differences in keys with same grades and white pages v off-white.

Last example I saw was at mycomicshop for Dr strange number ones in 9.8.

The white page version was quite a bit more asking price.

Asking prices mean nothing, so this story is pointless.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, JB123 said:

I totally agree but............

As soon as a real doom movie with offshoot characters is announced the massive rush will be on.

After that a dedicated human torch movie complete with the android and more offshoot characters will seal the deal again.

Those two characters have never been done right and have massive potential.

Marvel.comics one would make a comeback.

I love the FF and the family dynamic gives the franchise so much potential.  :wishluck:

On 7/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, szav said:

Some  people even seem less interested in the Marvel movies and TV shows.

When quality suffers, that'll happen. I predicted this a looooong time ago when Avengers 4 was highlighted as the end of the Infinity Saga. You can't just recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When quality suffers, that'll happen. I predicted this a looooong time ago when Avengers 4 was highlighted as the end of the Infinity Saga. You can't just recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, szav said:

I’m usually positive and bullish on the comic markets, but there are many ominous headwinds.  The souring economy is the biggest, tanking stock market, inflation, stagflation, recession, all ill  omens.

On top of that during this boom how many collectors who have been priced out of quality books are just losing interest?  The chatter on the boards has taken a decidedly negative turn.  Some  people even seem less interested in the Marvel movies and TV shows.  I personally no longer keep up with them, and am spending about 5% of what I did on comics pre pandemic, and haven’t made a CGC submission in about a year.

I agree there has been a lull recently with more lukewarm franchise, but just give it time.  Another Marvel franchise is about to take over soon, arguably bigger than  Avengers.

giphy.gif

On 7/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, Wolverinex said:

I agree there has been a lull recently with more lukewarm franchise, but just give it time.  Another Marvel franchise is about to take over soon, arguably bigger than  Avengers.

There will be excitement for the MCU's version of Fantastic Four, and X-Men, but beyond that they have not stuck the majority of landings for Phase Bore. Based on their treatment of characters in Multiverse of Madness, I find it foolish to expect otherwise in the future right now.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, szav said:

I’m usually positive and bullish on the comic markets, but there are many ominous headwinds.  The souring economy is the biggest, tanking stock market, inflation, stagflation, recession, all ill  omens.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:55 AM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, my desire to buy has certainly dampened in the last few months with the worsening gas prices, food prices, etc.  I have also noticed that ebay sales have slowed significantly too so this is not isolated.  Recession is coming if not already here.  

Makes me wonder what hapen to all of the boardies and collectors who said they couldn't wait for prices to fall so that they could start buying again. (:

From my own personal POV, I find that most buyers want to buy into a rising market and actually not when the market is falling.  hm

On 7/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder what hapen to all of the boardies and collectors who said they couldn't wait for prices to fall so that they could start buying again. (:

From my own personal POV, I find that most buyers want to buy into a rising market and actually not when the market is falling.  hm

Yeah, the problem with recession is there no asset is safe.  Everything tanks, so when your disposable income is evaporating away so it becomes much harder to buy an $$$ collectible when you need to focus on necessities.   For example, my Air conditioner is dying, so I rather save up for that than a Hulk 181. 

Edited by Wolverinex

On 7/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

I'm moving, so I haven't bought anything because I don't want to deal with, "will it get here before I move" or, "will my mail be forwarded correctly?"

On 7/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, lou_fine said:

I’m right here waiting…..nothing exciting in my GA world to report yet

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, lou_fine said:

If you’re on a very limited budget it’s a bit like the sliding scale system for therapy; keep sliding.

A really nice ASM 1 5.0 OW/W with no marvel chipping sold for 17k the other day on eBay.  That is the softest sale on a huge silver age key I have seen in a while.  Maybe the overall price drop in assets are starting to hit big collectibles.  

On 7/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, yogi_bear13 said:

A really nice ASM 1 5.0 OW/W with no marvel chipping sold for 17k the other day on eBay.  That is the softest sale on a huge silver age key I have seen in a while.  Maybe the overall price drop in assets are starting to hit big collectibles.  

whats crazy is another copy sold that same day for 20k over at heritage. it looks like around 20k is the right price for that book in general if you look back 16 months. outside of 2 crazy high sales last year, asm1 sales since last may have moved between 20-25k. as someone who still needs a nice asm1, i wouldnt mind a bit of softening on it. 

On 7/7/2022 at 10:07 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 7/7/2022 at 8:01 AM, lou_fine said:

I’m right here waiting…..nothing exciting in my GA world to report yet

Well, here's something to soothe your soul while you are waiting:  (thumbsu

Especially since it's going to be a long long wait, if ever, for prices to come down on the types of books which you want.  :cloud9:  :taptaptap: :taptaptap: