• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Arrived today from Metropolis (raw):

Tec44.jpg

Scans a little better than actually is. Back is relatively dirty.

But cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

hello all...

outstanding p/u G....I went with a lower grade 44 from Metro for price reasons (thank goodness for Metro...where else can you choose between 6 different copies of tec 44, ranging from vg to vf/nm!) , but I am happy you got that one...if I remember, off white pages, right?!

rick

Here's the Detective Comics 36 that I have. This scan in much better than the one that I posted earlier. It's a beater, but it is mine.

DetectiveComics36CGC.jpg

I'll more than likely have this one restored. I have the missing page.

Ahh very nice copy indeed. What matter to me in situations like this is the front cover. If it still shows most of the artwork, then I'll be fine with it. I'm definitely interested in a 36 when I can find one/

I think it's the only pre-Robin with Batman smiling on the cover.

These are getting expensive. The CGC .5 Incomplete was over $600.00. I think until things get better financially, this and the 37 will be my only pre-Robins.

I love the cover of the 37 as well.. There's just so much pre-Robin Tec books I need to get.. I may add a new addition to my collection soon smile.gif

I probably posted this one several months ago when I got it, but since we're on early pre-Batman Detectives, I'll post it again:

tec-10.jpg

Scott, I somehow missed this one when you posted it in this thread several days ago. It deserves a 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Looking at the face of the driver of the car, you can really see the skill and detail that Flessel brought to his work. You don't see work like this on a Batman Detective until decades later.

I probably posted this one several months ago when I got it, but since we're on early pre-Batman Detectives, I'll post it again:

Scott, I somehow missed this one when you posted it in this thread several days ago. It deserves a 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Looking at the face of the driver of the car, you can really see the skill and detail that Flessel brought to his work. You don't see work like this on a Batman Detective until decades later.

I totally agree. You and a few other guys were the ones who got me hooked on Flessel's work. I thank you for that. hail.gif

I think you may have commented on this book the first time I posted it several months ago. I got it from John Dolmayan at the Oakland show earlier this year. He gave me an amazing price on it -- 2/3 of GD 2.0 guide. foreheadslap.gif I wasn't even planning on buying anything at that show, but when he quoted me that price, I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't pick it up. It's definitely one of my favorite books in my collection. My first pre-Batman Detective. smile.gif

I got it from John Dolmayan at the Oakland show earlier this year. He gave me an amazing price on it -- 2/3 of GD 2.0 guide. foreheadslap.gif I wasn't even planning on buying anything at that show, but when he quoted me that price, I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't pick it up. It's definitely one of my favorite books in my collection. My first pre-Batman Detective. smile.gif

That is a truly remarkable price. I have been tracking the prices paid for pre-hero Detectives over the last couple of years, The low and mid-grade copies consistently sell for 1.5 to 2.0 Guide, and the high grades go for even more. Congrats!

I totally agree. You and a few other guys were the ones who got me hooked on Flessel's work. I thank you for that. hail.gif

I think you may have commented on this book the first time I posted it several months ago. I got it from John Dolmayan at the Oakland show earlier this year. He gave me an amazing price on it -- 2/3 of GD 2.0 guide. foreheadslap.gif I wasn't even planning on buying anything at that show, but when he quoted me that price, I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't pick it up. It's definitely one of my favorite books in my collection. My first pre-Batman Detective. smile.gif

that is a fabulous deal on a fabulous book. well done sir.

that is a fabulous deal on a fabulous book. well done sir.

It was purely a function of "right place, right time." I didn't even have to negotiate with him. I'd been chatting with him earlier that year at WonderCon about one of his band's early concerts that I went to and also about some of the big ticket books on his wall, and I think he just remembered that we'd had a good chat (he probably doesn't get a lot of the suit-and-tie crowd telling him how much they like his music wink.gif ). A fellow forumite (I think it was Jeff Li) saw the book in one of his boxes at the Oakland show a few months later and showed it to me. I asked "Hey John, how much do you want for this?" He says "$450." As soon as I put my eyeballs back in their sockets, I said "Done." 27_laughing.gif