• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Latest Tec acquisition:

Tec #13 Blue label CGC 5.5 COW pages:

Tec13-1.jpg

George, it's just not fair :pullhair: .....you can't buy up all the sweet Tecs on the market, and leave the rest of us with scraps!

Steve

Unfortunately you and I came to the game later than the rest.

I'm just trying to catch up with the guys

I have never seen that cover before. Very nice :thumbsup:

That's a real beauty!

Thanks MK and DM. For some reason it is one of the lesser known pre-hero covers.

lesser known as lesser available - first one I've seen in over a year.

Great comic as always :applause:

Just going back to my (and previously Primetime's) Tec #31 -- It was graded by CGC as 1.8 "brittle pages" -- what do the experts think is a fair price to pay for this ?? Harley "unslabbed" it to realize a higher profit, but what if he hadn't done so -- what is fair ?? How much does the "brittleness" really affect the price of this key GA book ??

Curious FISH

Hey Fish.. I hope you didn't pay too much for the book. Since the book is low graded and brittle pages, I'd have to price it around $3-$4k.. I hope you didn't pay a premium for this book. Brittle pages can significantly lower ANY book's grade no matter how high the grade is. A lot of collectors, like me, keep away from brittle page books because as time progresses, the corners and pieces here and there may crumble from the book.

Hey Fish.. I hope you didn't pay too much for the book. Since the book is low graded and brittle pages, I'd have to price it around $3-$4k.. I hope you didn't pay a premium for this book. Brittle pages can significantly lower ANY book's grade no matter how high the grade is. A lot of collectors, like me, keep away from brittle page books because as time progresses, the corners and pieces here and there may crumble from the book.

Well, maybe a bit more than $3-$4k, not much more, though. Very much thanks for the insight -- anyone else want to chime in??

FISH

Well, maybe a bit more than $3-$4k, not much more, though. Very much thanks for the insight -- anyone else want to chime in??

FISH

As DK mentioned many won't buy britle pages (including myself), this makes valuation difficult.

Low grade pioces are very much dependent on how the front cover presents and how long you can wait till you need to realise a sale. There always seems to be a floor on keys of $1k re of condition (disregarding coverless).

Pros - your cover presents well.

Cons - brittle pages therefore big doubt on future condition

Price:

- firesale - $2 - 3k

- long term $3 - 3.5k

I viewed the book raw in chicago....the pages are "brittling" (is that a word)...but, they were supple enough to handle carefully...the edges and spine (lower, if I remember) will potentially become a big concern, as you can't make the pages "better" without some sort of restorative procedure. I considered buying the book (harley had it priced about 2x north of the estimates 1koko and DK quoted, but I am sure there was some room to push it down...I am guessing $6K retail?)...I am not sure what fish paid, the price was very attractive, but like many, I try to avoid brittle pages :(

my advice would be to restore/conserve this copy (try to hydrate the paper, if possible) and clean up the cover a little...won't really affect it's value, but will likely increase longevity of the book

rick

I viewed the book raw in chicago....the pages are "brittling" (is that a word)...but, they were supple enough to handle carefully...the edges and spine (lower, if I remember) will potentially become a big concern, as you can't make the pages "better" without some sort of restorative procedure. I considered buying the book (harley had it priced about 2x north of the estimates 1koko and DK quoted, but I am sure there was some room to push it down...I am guessing $6K retail?)...I am not sure what fish paid, the price was very attractive, but like many, I try to avoid brittle pages :(

my advice would be to restore/conserve this copy (try to hydrate the paper, if possible) and clean up the cover a little...won't really affect it's value, but will likely increase longevity of the book

rick

A very good point made by Rick. I think it's best to have the book restored to some extent to keep the book in better preservation as it is right now. Tec 31's don't come along often and restoring a book like this to keep for ages is I think a good idea too. I haven't seen the book personally, but by PT's reaction after he got it CGC'ed, he was very upset about the purchase due to the price he paid I and the brittle pages. I don't mind having a book that is 1.0, 1.5, etc. as long as the pages are supple and are far away from being brittle. But if you are happy with the purchase, than that's all that matters. Just my 2c.

rick

I agree. If it's not to late to arrest the brittlness, do it. Brittle is bad. I avoid brittle. The only time brittle is okay is if you're trying to dump a book. Most collectors in the know avoid brittle books.

As always, you guys are a wealth of knowledge for this relative newbie. I paid him $6k CDN. at the time, which was about $5700-$5800 USD. According to the experts, I obviously overpaid, but I can't help being somewhat satisfied that I actually OWN a Tec #31 -- the BEST cover for sure. But I definitely will be more discriminating in the future thanks to all your collective input.

FISH

I hope you don't feel any regret- you have an unrestored tec31! We have all overpaid for books from time to time; if you have overpaid it is not by much. Don't let your buyer's remorse get to you. Enjoy it!

jason

As always, you guys are a wealth of knowledge for this relative newbie. I paid him $6k CDN. at the time, which was about $5700-$5800 USD. According to the experts, I obviously overpaid, but I can't help being somewhat satisfied that I actually OWN a Tec #31 -- the BEST cover for sure. But I definitely will be more discriminating in the future thanks to all your collective input.

FISH

hey fish

you did great...I called it at $6K, so you did fine...restore it (costs about $500-700) and you should have a book worth your price :)

rick