• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Me neither, Jimbo ...... and I've probably been at this twice as long as you :preach:

...I have a question, Z, .......what exactly set you forth on the quest for the many beautiful Atlas books that you now have ? I know you've chased these since at least the 90's..... back when everyone else was mainstream superhero. I mean, was there a certain book that caught your eye, or a collector friend whose books intrigued you ..... and precipitated your descent into the Atlas maelstrom ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Hey, Jimbo. My first off-the-rack purchases were the Marvel pre-hero titles (AA, AAF, JIM, ST, TOS, TTA) and the DC sci-fi titles (MIS and Strange Adventures) in 1958/59. Space exploration and "creature feature" films were the rage in the 1950s and early 1960s, and I'm sure that influenced me. As a kid, I read anything and everything I could get my hands on -- Archie, Sad Sack, Spider-man, Superman, you name it. However, when the back issue bug bit me in the mid-1960s, I decided to focus on my first love: horror, sci-fi, and fantasy-type adventure.

I was never a high grade collector, so I feel blessed to be in the midst of folks who appreciate the beauty and scarcity of a lightly-handled and well-preserved FN. :foryou:(worship)

Now I know....... The Rest Of The Story :cloud9:......thanks,amigo. GOD BLESS....

Paul Harvey proposed to my grandmother. True story.

She turned him down and chose my grandfather instead.

Now I know....... The Rest Of The Story :cloud9:......thanks,amigo. GOD BLESS....

.....this is truly cool. GOD BLESS...

Harvey was too short?

Such a cool cover. Very pleased to have found this one!

4q4mc5.jpg

Beautiful. And such vivid colors too. :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Yeah, I really dig this one. I love the dark shading and dramatic color scheme, and the fact that (unusually, for an Atlas cover) the cover art goes fully from top to bottom, giving it more depth and room to breathe.

As a New Yorker, I also love the NYC setting of the cover scene. The skewed building behind the zombie looks like either the Flatiron Building or Times Square, where two avenues converge and create a thin triangle-shaped building. The wording wrapped around the building suggests "News of the World", which rings a distant bell for me but I can't place it... does anyone know which old building had that wording? (I feel like the NY Times building in Times Square would be the obvious culprit, but a bit of googling didn't turn anything up.)

Love that Battle Ground cover!

..... and pretty nice for a "reader"...... GOD BLESS...

That would make my entire Atlas War collection "readers", which since I have read them, maybe they are.

Love that Battle Ground cover!

..... and pretty nice for a "reader"...... GOD BLESS...

It is pretty nice for a reader, but I would love to get my hands on a higher grade one day though.