• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

....I could see that copy getting a 7.0 on another day.... plus white pages as icing on the cake........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was a very solid 6.0 and with the WP, again not too surprising this book has basically jumped into that Mystery Tales 19, Strange Tales 28 range - obviously the covercentric CGC world has picked winners and losers.

....I could see that copy getting a 7.0 on another day.... plus white pages as icing on the cake........ GOD BLESS....

It was a very solid 6.0 and with the WP, again not too surprising this book has basically jumped into that Mystery Tales 19, Strange Tales 28 range - obviously the covercentric CGC world has picked winners and losers.

I have to say while I can appreciate why the "top shelf" Atlas books have gotten there, it seems there are many equally cool covers that lag ( though are still way more in midgrade than they used to be). If the Atlas mania keeps up, I'm sure some new ones will join the club, but for now there still seem to be enough cool covers affordable in 5.0-6.0 to keep the budget minded Atlas collector happy.

I have to say while I can appreciate why the "top shelf" Atlas books have gotten there, it seems there are many equally cool covers that lag ( though are still way more in midgrade than they used to be). If the Atlas mania keeps up, I'm sure some new ones will join the club, but for now there still seem to be enough cool covers affordable in 5.0-6.0 to keep the budget minded Atlas collector happy.

..... The two Marvel Tales were a good example of that...... It seems to be a fairly stable market outside the Icon books...... the War books are still quite the bargain. I'm bummed I lost out on the Strange Tales of the Unusual 8..... I really wanted that one.... but I just can't go ballistic on bids right now, money's tight. That one has a favorite Kirby story in it......"Poker Face"......GOD BLESS...

I posted this in the pre-code thread, but should have posted this here first:

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Notably they basically all have standout/iconic covers:

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

(You could swap the books in the middle around, tough to rank those really)

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Strange Tales 25 (sentimental favorite)

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

Edited by Johnny545

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

Marvel Tales 130,Spellbound 14, Mystic 18, Spellbound 2, Suspense 26, Astonishing 30, and Menace 1 (...and several others) will also achieve significant premiums at 6.5 and above. GOD BLESS....

....one night not long ago..... I had not only failed to eat my vegetables, but was also up WAY past my bedtime..... and snagged this off of a Dale Roberts Sales Thread...... GOD BLESS...

819719102_o.jpg

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Marvel Tales 130,Spellbound 14, Mystic 18, Spellbound 2, Suspense 26, Astonishing 30, and Menace 1 (...and several others) will also achieve significant premiums at 6.5 and above. GOD BLESS....

I'm really waiting for this one to break out. I recently posted this in another thread and had forgotten how much I think this cover rocks! :headbang:

MysteryTales14-1.jpg

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

I'm really waiting for this one to break out. I recently posted this in another thread and had forgotten how much I think this cover rocks! :headbang:

MysteryTales14-1.jpg

Such a stunner, your right Jay it should have broken out by now.

Jim you are right Spellbound 14, Mystic 18, Spellbound 2, Marvel Tales 130 should all be in the honorable mentions.

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

I didn't know Spellbound #17 was that hot a book - though I'm not surprised given the cover. I imagine the order of the top 10 is fairly volatile, even if one uses prior sales, as the "value" of these books seems to be constantly shifting ( usually upwards), and it's frequently tough to extrapolate value in one grade over another. I thought that Venus #18 seems to fetch higher prices than #17 though, at least in low to mid grade.

As for the honorable mentions, I imagine every new auction produces a new contender, especially as there can sometimes be massive disconnects in realized value between a decent 4.5 copy and a 6.0 of the same book.