• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Looks like CGC may have been a little vicious on the Mystery Tales 12..... looks nicer than the grade..... maybe it was getting close to the time for the graders to be fed and watered :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great books!

Gotta love that Men in Action with that catchy headline: War Action From the Thick of Battle!

I imagine titles like that really grabbed kids attention at the newsstand back in the day.

Great books!

Gotta love that Men in Action with that catchy headline: War Action From the Thick of Battle!

I imagine titles like that really grabbed kids attention at the newsstand back in the day.

Thanks Jayman and I know I would have bought that book when I was a kid (if my parents would have let me).

Three great covers!

I especially like the text on the Strange Tales, "Come on, now, confess!..." It's like they just got so tired of writing those blurbs that you can almost pick up a bit of sarcasm in this one!

The post code books have some of the best covers..... Everett was obviously having a lot of fun with the new challenges that censorship presented him. While some of the stories may be a bit more tame, some of them are down right weird. With a lot of Atlas books, it can be hit and miss to get one with a great cover and great stories.... but I find more of them than I expected. Like BOOT said, it's getting pricey, especially for Fine and up...... but I still see a lot of completed sales on eBay in the Good to Very Good range @ $ 9 to $ 30..... folks are definitely picking up solid readers..... and one thing about Atlas, if one likes a challenge, try putting together a 5 year run of one of the titles. GOD BLESS...

Agree with the weirdness factor. A lot of the post code covers have that "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone" feel about them which was more in line with what was currently on TV and the movies, (black and white 50's SciFi). :cloud9:

There are some decent stories in a number of the post code Atlas's, and I noticed a proliferation of 5 and 6 stories in them, as compared to the standard 4 stories in the pre-code books.

My personal criteria is that a book have at least one story that I consider worthwhile to re-read again, or I dump it unless it has a cover that by itself makes it worth keeping . That applies to all comics, pre and post code. Although my stash of post code is quite small compared to pre-code, very few get re-sold, so the story quality did carry on to a reasonable extent.

It looks like all Atla pre code horror and post code suspense have taken quite a jump in price since about a year ago or so. 1955-57 books in VG are starting to go for nose-bleed prices from this tightwad's point of view, eh eh.

I have been back from my vacation for less then a week and finally found some time to check out what I missed. There has been a lot going on here and there were a lot of amazing books and splashes posted here during my 5 week absence from the boards. It's good to be back. :)

Good to see you back.... and I was thinking maybe you'd been staying away to avoid temptation.... building a war chest for that Flash 105. It seems like Fifties approaches the books much like I do.... as a fellow "raw" collector, I, too, require a good cover AND good material inside. I have found a few Atlas books with covers that don't really grab me yet have 3 or 4 really top notch stories for which I will sometimes make exceptions. It may be that I just haven't seen enough examples..... but so far I've found a higher percentage of cover to cover classic issues in the Journey into Unknown Worlds title. Menace is another title that seems to have a good track record in that regard.... the Masterworks edition was greatly appreciated. GOD BLESS...

There sure is a sweet Spellbound 14 in the next Clink auction..... it sure would look nice at my house. GOD BLESS...

That book shot right up to $500 in the first 24 hours, Jimbo. See that?