• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Atlas war books are hugely underrated and overlooked due to E.C. and DC's output from that era...

..and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's a cover by... John Severin? Thoughts?

bat62.jpg

Agreed on your comment...they're relatively cheap.

This cover is atypical for Atlas war...not one of Severin's best, though. Those word balloons are too intrusive.

It looks very much like a precursor to Sgt. Fury - that's what the code did to Atlas war books...made 'em lighter and more jokey...

The Severin Checklist in Squa Tront 11 does not show / list this as a Severin cover and I would tend to agree. The Atlas Tales website lists as a guess Joe Sinnott. [The GCD does not carry over that info though but I am leery of GCD info anyway]. I don't see it but at least you can look at it from a different perspective now.

GDust, I kinda like that cover. We could dispense with the balloons but for the time period - 1959 - that's a likeable cover.

The Severin Checklist in Squa Tront 11 does not show / list this as a Severin cover and I would tend to agree. The Atlas Tales website lists as a guess Joe Sinnott. [The GCD does not carry over that info though but I am leery of GCD info anyway]. I don't see it but at least you can look at it from a different perspective now.

GDust, I kinda like that cover. We could dispense with the balloons but for the time period - 1959 - that's a likeable cover.

At first I thought the statement was definitive as being Severin and I stared at it for a couple minutes because it didn't fit. I can't ever recall Sev drawing as awkward a pose as was shown for the GI on the right. Scrooge's Sinnot recommendation is pretty good, but I would really like to see the book in person

One more Heath cover for the road:

bat38.jpg

That's an absolutely outstanding cover by Heath. So much of his best work was done for the war and western comics that it has prevented him from getting the recognition he deserves.

The board's Mister Trent owns the OA to that piece. Not sure if the link will work but it's on his section of the Comic Art Fans site.

Health Cover

BTW, AtlasT, take a look at Spellbound 3's cover. Fairly similar positioning of the male figure to Spellbound 22. I know you were disinclined toward Heath, but I'm still wondering if it might not be him.

Adam:

The similarity of the poses on the covers of Spellbound 3 and 22 is, I believe, an astute observation on your part, but I still think the cover of Spellbound 22 is more likely Harry Anderson's work than Heath's. Pictured below are portions of the covers of Spellbound 22 and 3, Astonishing 35 and Mystery Tales 21. All but Spellbound 3 I attribute to Anderson. The monster on Astonishing 35 is similar to that on Spellbound 22, and unlike any work of Heath that I have seen. The pose of the startled man on Mystery Tales 21 is similar to the man on Spellbound 22; also, and perhaps most persuasive, in my estimation, is the lack of the dramatic shadowing that is one of Heath's hallmarks.

heath.jpg

What say you?

As an afterthought, I believe that argyle socks are typical of Anderson's work.

As an afterthought, I believe that argyle socks are typical of Anderson's work.

That was the clincher! 27_laughing.gif

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting. I was late to the awareness of Anderson and I don't have very many of his books. I think we can confidently say this is Anderson based on the evidence you've provided.

The "guest" on the Mys Tales 21 is a bit more "Powell-ish" than the Spellbound. Possibly he was swiping -- same possibility exists with the man held by the monster being a swipe of Spellbound 3.