• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

I posted this in the pre-code thread, but should have posted this here first:

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Notably they basically all have standout/iconic covers:

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

(You could swap the books in the middle around, tough to rank those really)

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Strange Tales 25 (sentimental favorite)

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

I didn't know Spellbound #17 was that hot a book - though I'm not surprised given the cover. I imagine the order of the top 10 is fairly volatile, even if one uses prior sales, as the "value" of these books seems to be constantly shifting ( usually upwards), and it's frequently tough to extrapolate value in one grade over another. I thought that Venus #18 seems to fetch higher prices than #17 though, at least in low to mid grade.

As for the honorable mentions, I imagine every new auction produces a new contender, especially as there can sometimes be massive disconnects in realized value between a decent 4.5 copy and a 6.0 of the same book.

Spellbound 17 may not been known as an in demand "hot book" because one hasn't been for sale "publicly" in at least 3 years, probably longer.

If a HG copy came up now it would go for a mind blowing sum - guaranteed.

Here is one I would like back...

Menace5_zps9d9798a9.jpg

I can see why.

While I'm glad I bought my lower grade copies of books like Venus 19, Menace 5 and Mystic 18 when they were cheap, in retrospect I would have been quite wise to have upgraded when possible. Barring a dramatic change in finances, i don't think I'll be seeing a copy like that in collection any time soon.

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

Marvel Tales 130,Spellbound 14, Mystic 18, Spellbound 2, Suspense 26, Astonishing 30, and Menace 1 (...and several others) will also achieve significant premiums at 6.5 and above. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I assume you mean Spellbound 3, not 2, correct Jim?

Also, you can't have an Atlas cover discussion without Astonishing 4 IMO.

Actually, I did mean Spellbound 2..... cool Everett comic book publisher cover and a bear in grade...... but the Astonishing 4 is a massive oversight on my part..... as it was Everett Subby's and Marvel Boys that got me started on Atlas to begin with..... GOD BLESS...

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

I didn't know Spellbound #17 was that hot a book - though I'm not surprised given the cover. I imagine the order of the top 10 is fairly volatile, even if one uses prior sales, as the "value" of these books seems to be constantly shifting ( usually upwards), and it's frequently tough to extrapolate value in one grade over another. I thought that Venus #18 seems to fetch higher prices than #17 though, at least in low to mid grade.

As for the honorable mentions, I imagine every new auction produces a new contender, especially as there can sometimes be massive disconnects in realized value between a decent 4.5 copy and a 6.0 of the same book.

Spellbound 17 may not been known as an in demand "hot book" because one hasn't been for sale "publicly" in at least 3 years, probably longer.

If a HG copy came up now it would go for a mind blowing sum - guaranteed.

I'm assuming this holds true to the Mystery Tales 14 that I posted (and other MT books as well)!

This is the one that probably surprises me the most.... a 7.0 went at Heritage a while back at 600 or so, and it's every bit as cool to me as many of the "Top Pop" Atlas covers..... GOD BLESS...

AtlasBooks0001_zpsa7742bf6.jpg

I agree the short Menace run, Mystery Tales and the titles that ended up popular SA superhero titles (Strange Tales, JIM) seem to take the spotlight, while Suspense, Uncanny and even JIUW to an extent feel overlooked and can sometimes be bought at prices that may, down the road seem like a steal.

Though some recent high grade Suspense sales show people are not necessarily overlooking the rarity and value in any high grade Atlas PCH books.

I can't say that I have a permanent number one favorite Atlas..... but some days it's this one.... GOD BLESS...

Scan0006.jpg

I just bought one of these in solid midgrade raw - should arrive in the next couple of days. :banana:

Awesome books, Jimbo and Jayman!!! That Suspense #14 has always been a personal fave :headbang:

Here's a solid Everett cover that's been tucked away in the collection (honestly, forgot I had it until recently. Shame on me (tsk) ).

IMG_2853_zpsmlftsxhk.jpg