• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Awesome books, Jimbo and Jayman!!! That Suspense #14 has always been a personal fave :headbang:

Here's a solid Everett cover that's been tucked away in the collection (honestly, forgot I had it until recently. Shame on me (tsk) ).

IMG_2853_zpsmlftsxhk.jpg

:takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit:

Awesome books, Jimbo and Jayman!!! That Suspense #14 has always been a personal fave :headbang:

Here's a solid Everett cover that's been tucked away in the collection (honestly, forgot I had it until recently. Shame on me (tsk) ).

IMG_2853_zpsmlftsxhk.jpg

Fantabulous!

I love my copy too.

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds18.jpg

I posted this in the pre-code thread, but should have posted this here first:

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Notably they basically all have standout/iconic covers:

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

(You could swap the books in the middle around, tough to rank those really)

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Strange Tales 25 (sentimental favorite)

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

I would certainly put Astonishing #30 in the top 10. It's not only a standout, iconic Atlas book, it's also a very iconic book in the PCH genre, and if any high grade copies popped up at auction, I'm sure it would command a premium. I might also put Men's Adventures #25 in the top 10 of iconic Atlas horror covers, and I'd possibly throw AIWW #3 on the honorable mention list.

My "sleeper" iconic Atlas cover would be AIWW #24. It's got a bad- Anderson "hypodermic needle, dude being split in half" cover. Whoever ended up with the CGC 6.5 copy in the Comic Link Auction last Fall, got it for an absolute steal IMHO.

Let's be frank though, we could probably easily come up with a top 50 iconic Atlas cover list, along with 50 honorable mentions in the blink of an eye.

I might receive a little flack for this one, but I don't see Strange Tales #1 as an iconic cover (or at least on par with a couple of the other books in your top ten, such as Venus #19, & Menace #5). Yes, ST #1 is a very tough and important key issue to a long running title that spanned from the days of PCH through the Bronze Age of super heroes, and it does command a very solid price in all grades, but the cover art doesn't stand out to me any differently than the first few issues of Mystic, Adventures Into Terror #4, or Journey Into Unknown Worlds #5. Are those all very cool Atlas books and covers, absolutely (!!!), but they all seem to have a similar "Atlas house style" vibe that a big chunk of their horror covers had in '50, '51, & early '52, and that makes it tough for me to distinguish one from the other, except for the hefty price tag that goes with Strange Tales #1.

Sorry for the long rant/essay. That's just my 2c , but you have some incredible books on your list, and it's a fun topic to bring up, especially with how the demand has recently fluctuated due to the increased interest in certain Atlas covers.

Cheers :)

Been mulling this over and here is my list of what I believe to be the top ten most valuable Atlas PCH books based on my monitoring of the market since the 'shift' you reference.

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

Let me know what I may have missed or what others you think might make the top ten.

I would certainly put Astonishing #30 in the top 10. It's not only a standout, iconic Atlas book, it's also a very iconic book in the PCH genre, and if any high grade copies popped up at auction, I'm sure it would command a premium. I might also put Men's Adventures #25 in the top 10 of iconic Atlas horror covers, and I'd possibly throw AIWW #3 on the honorable mention list.

My "sleeper" iconic Atlas cover would be AIWW #24. It's got a bad- Anderson "hypodermic needle, dude being split in half" cover. Whoever ended up with the CGC 6.5 copy in the Comic Link Auction last Fall, got it for an absolute steal IMHO.

Let's be frank though, we could probably easily come up with a top 50 iconic Atlas cover list, along with 50 honorable mentions in the blink of an eye.

I might receive a little flack for this one, but I don't see Strange Tales #1 as an iconic cover (or at least on par with a couple of the other books in your top ten, such as Venus #19, & Menace #5). Yes, ST #1 is a very tough and important key issue to a long running title that spanned from the days of PCH through the Bronze Age of super heroes, and it does command a very solid price in all grades, but the cover art doesn't stand out to me any differently than the first few issues of Mystic, Adventures Into Terror #4, or Journey Into Unknown Worlds #5. Are those all very cool Atlas books and covers, absolutely (!!!), but they all seem to have a similar "Atlas house style" vibe, that a big chunk of their horror covers had in '50, '51, & early '52, and that makes it tough for me to distinguish one from the other, except for the hefty price tag that goes with Strange Tales #1.

Sorry for the long rant/essay. That's just my 2c , but you have some incredible books on your list, and it's a fun topic to bring up, especially with how the demand has recently fluctuated due to the increased interest in certain Atlas covers.

Great response and good points, just to be clear, my list was only for the "most valuable" 10 Atlas PCH books and those on the outer edges.

IMG_2853_zpsmlftsxhk.jpg

Fantabulous!

I love my copy too.

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds18.jpg

I shudder to think I may have sold you that copy Jay...tell me I didn't....AHAAHAHAH!

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

I might receive a little flack for this one, but I don't see Strange Tales #1 as an iconic cover (or at least on par with a couple of the other books in your top ten, such as Venus #19, & Menace #5). Yes, ST #1 is a very tough and important key issue to a long running title that spanned from the days of PCH through the Bronze Age of super heroes, and it does command a very solid price in all grades, but the cover art doesn't stand out to me any differently than the first few issues of Mystic, Adventures Into Terror #4, or Journey Into Unknown Worlds #5. Are those all very cool Atlas books and covers, absolutely (!!!), but they all seem to have a similar "Atlas house style" vibe, that a big chunk of their horror covers had in '50, '51, & early '52, and that makes it tough for me to distinguish one from the other, except for the hefty price tag that goes with Strange Tales #1.

Great response and good points, just to be clear, my list was only for the "most valuable" 10 Atlas PCH books and those on the outer edges.

Ooops, I see :)

If we're talking just monetary value, pretty much every high grade, pre-code issue of Mystery Tales would take over big chunks of both lists, based on what they've sold for over the last couple of years with sale prices ranging from $2300 to over $6K

.....and a high grade Astonishing #3 would probably knock it out of the park in auction as well

I shudder to think I may have sold you that copy Jay...tell me I didn't....AHAAHAHAH!

Yes you did, for only $35 I believe! :acclaim:

:jokealert:

No, I've had this copy for years! :grin:

Top 10 (in order)

JIM 1

Strange Tales 1

Menace 5

Venus 19

Strange Tales 28

Mystery Tales 19

Menace 1

JIM 6

Spellbound 17

Venus 17

Honorable Mention:

Venus 18

JIM 7

Menace 11

Spellbound 20

Spellbound 3

Strange Tales 8

Strange Tales 18 and 29

Marvel Tales 95

Mystery Tales 9-11

Mystery Tales 1

Mystic 28

JIM 14-16

I might receive a little flack for this one, but I don't see Strange Tales #1 as an iconic cover (or at least on par with a couple of the other books in your top ten, such as Venus #19, & Menace #5). Yes, ST #1 is a very tough and important key issue to a long running title that spanned from the days of PCH through the Bronze Age of super heroes, and it does command a very solid price in all grades, but the cover art doesn't stand out to me any differently than the first few issues of Mystic, Adventures Into Terror #4, or Journey Into Unknown Worlds #5. Are those all very cool Atlas books and covers, absolutely (!!!), but they all seem to have a similar "Atlas house style" vibe that a big chunk of their horror covers had in '50, '51, & early '52, and that makes it tough for me to distinguish one from the other, except for the hefty price tag that goes with Strange Tales #1.

I agree with what you say regarding ST 1, HTF issue but not an iconic cover by a long shot!

Regarding AIWW 24, there are very few books I keep doubles on and this is one of them. Unfortunately both are in about the same condition! I always thought this was Everett's work.

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds24_zpsf048b86e.jpg

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds242_zps42183819.jpg

Yes you did, for only $35 I believe! :acclaim:

:jokealert:

No, I've had this copy for years! :grin:

Wheww almost had a heart attack! I do think I sold a Fn- copy way too cheap within the last year...maybe hopefully I am dreaming that.

I'll join the 500 pages party with a few beauties.

Love the top 10-20 poll. Don't agree with some picks.

Certain Atlas covers are just smokin' in the market right now regardless of condition. More collectors seem to be coming in that are not completest,but are just picking out the best or iconic books for their collections. So the demand is exceeding supply of these great books.

Probably could add this to the list.

photo ADVT INTO WW 25_zpszaforfgc.jpg

I like this issue better than the MT 8 or 14

photo MTSTERY TALES 10_zpsepwv5hzv.jpg

photo SPELLBOUND 3_zpswp5f5woo.jpg

photo ASTONISHING 30_zpsuwjrhdgt.jpg