• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

These are books that would break records regardless of pedigree..... due to grade/ demand factors. The 6 and 7 are just awesome cover books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So is that the driving force in the prices?

It's just rare to ever get the chance to buy a truly high grade copy of any early JIM, Strange Tales or Mystery Tales...they are rarely sold and in VF or better likely one of the best copies....buy it you might never get the chance again.

Edited by Johnny545

That 7 is a favorite..... I could see selling every one I have to snag that one..... SO iconic...... and it doesn't hurt that it was a 9.0 in an 8.0 holder..... GOD BLESS....

I don't know if anyone remembers this:

But a year or so ago, there was a 9.2 JIM 18 for sale on e-bay.

Pretty sure it was white pages, just a beautiful copy.

It was a 10 day auction but the book was quickly delisted.

I sent an e-mail to the seller to see if it was still available.

He told me that someone had called him and bought it for: $2500.

Said the guy kept telling him that he should jump on this great offer.

That it would never sell for that much on ebay.

Guy just kept at the it until the Seller agreed.

Seller said that as soon as he agreed to sell it...

He got another guy calling him and offering $3500.

I told him I thought it would have gone for way north of 5K....

if he just let it ride.

Pretty sure he thought I was nuts. lol

if he just let it ride.

I remember that book...the only true measure of some of these books is an auction.

Edited by Johnny545

if he just let it ride.

I remember that book...the only true measure of some of these books is an auction.

Always let it ride. My wife had an antique on ebay that she she figured was worth at least a couple grand, started at 999. she got a 3K offer the night it was listed. She declined and the item ended up going for 13K.

Whoa! Some of those precode JIM's just went for some crazy, silly prices, and my head's just spinning from watching them go, and go, and, go, and...... Is the high grade/nice presenting Atlas market trending towards those prices, or did it help that there were so many different precode issues of JIM in one auction that it caused a bit of a feeding frenzy? I also noticed that the Atlas JIM's were a main feature in the recent Comic Connect catalogue. Do ya'll think that advertising had something to do with the price push?

I still can't get over that the JIM 14 6.0 OW, w a front cover crease went for $2300?!?

I'm glad I have a clean CGC 6.5 OW/W of that book tucked away in my "keepsies" pile (think I paid about $90 for it raw once upon a time), because I would never be able to own a copy at this rate.

One thing...... if someone assembles a full run of JIM 1-82 in high grade it could likely be a unique achievement ...... some of these books are tougher in grade than almost all but the most scarce of mainstream GA. It wouldn't be the kind of set that one could assemble in a month with just a credit card and internet connection. Someone is going to be very stoked when they receive these.....and I'd wager they won't be seen at market again for a very LONG time. GOD BLESS...

I think we have been fooled for the last 12 months there have been lots of atlas in auctions - they've generally done well, in this instance extremely well, but can you guys remember 2012-2014 it was rare if ever to even see any decent atlas for sale in an auction maybe a lone high grade copy here or there.

We are headed back to that environment I believe.

I think we will look back and see how unique an opportunity this was to buy a high grade pedigree Atlas.

Edited by Johnny545

I think we have been fooled for the last 12 months there have been lots of atlas in auctions - they've generally done well, in this instance extremely well, but can you guys remember 2012-2014 it was rare if ever to even see any decent atlas for sale in an auction maybe a lone high grade copy here or there.

I think we will look back and see how unique an opportunity this was to buy a high grade pedigree Atlas.

Probably true. Less likely is that it will bring out lots of hidden collections.

Probably true. Less likely is that it will bring out lots of hidden collections.

Unlikely I think, this collection sat raw for the last 12-15 years, sold as a lot for purposes of being brought to auction.

There are just so few of these complete collections in high grade out there let alone ones stuffed with pedigree copies.

you may see odd copies here or there but not complete runs like this IMHO.