• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Ten bucks on eBay about a dozen years ago or so. It would easily be VF, but the cover had neatly been cut off, so I *choke* taped it from the inside. The narrow white vertical line is where the cut was.

2elyw5i.jpg

Nice save! You have a great looking copy, and it doesn't even count as restoration ;)

And remember "Tape is not a defect".

Mystic18.jpg

I'm amazed - astounding.

So thankful some of these survived in this condition, so we can at least imagine what it would be like to pick one up off the newsstand.

Thanks for posting that stunning copy.

And a fairly large sig by Everett as you've pointed out before as on Spellbound 17, seems to indicate an Everett favorite also!

JIM 5 must have been a favorite - no surprise why.

Ten bucks on eBay about a dozen years ago or so. It would easily be VF, but the cover had neatly been cut off, so I *choke* taped it from the inside. The narrow white vertical line is where the cut was.

2elyw5i.jpg

Nice save! You have a great looking copy, and it doesn't even count as restoration ;)

And remember "Tape is not a defect".

Great copy Fifties! Cut/tape who cares a beautiful copy!

Everybody's got a Mystic 18 except me :sorry: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You wants to trade? I could accept a VG copy of Weird Mysteries 5 for it...;)

A rare opportunity for me to bump this thread. Great cover and book length story by Jerry Robinson. (And eat your heart out adamstrange, with your paltry 9.6!)

Battlefront%205%20CGC%206_zpsg1znbxnd.jpg

:golfclap:

...... it takes a while, but sooner or later we find that elusive Atlas. GOD BLESS...

A rare opportunity for me to bump this thread. Great cover and book length story by Jerry Robinson. (And eat your heart out adamstrange, with your paltry 9.6!)

Congratulations! :applause:

This is on my want last, as it's an unusual Atlas War with a femme fatale cover, and it's my understanding that it contains an equally unusual book length story. Sweet copy!

I'd be interested to know how people classify the Strange Tales run by age and when they see the transition from Atomic Age to Silver Age. In my mind I've divided it as follows:

Atomic Age

1-34 = Pre-Code Horror (this is obvious)

35-66 = Post-Code Suspense (I find that the tone of the covers and stories switch from horror to suspense after the code was introduced)

Silver Age Transition

67 = First Kirby and Ditko interior art

68-69 = First Kirby covers

Early Silver Age

70-99 = Monster issues

Super Hero Silver Age

101-168 = Super hero (this is also obvious)

I don't feel that issue 51 from October 1956 (same month as Showcase 4) can be considered the first silver age issue. I feel like either #67 (due to the first Kirby/Ditko interior art) or #70 (first monster cover) is the start of the SA for Strange Tales.

Mike

Edited by Monkeyman

I'd be interested to know how people classify the Strange Tales run by age and when they see the transition from Atomic Age to Silver Age. In my mind I've divided it as follows:

Atomic Age

35-66 = Post-Code Suspense (I find that the tone of the covers and stories switch from horror to suspense after the code was introduced)

Silver Age Transition

Early Silver Age

70-99 = Monster issues

Super Hero Silver Age

I don't feel that issue 51 from October 1956 (same month as Showcase 4) can be considered the first silver age issue. I feel like either #67 (due to the first Kirby/Ditko interior art) or #70 (first monster cover) is the start of the SA for Strange Tales.

Mike

I agree with this assessment. As has been discussed before, the arrival of the Silver Age was incremental over several years, so I would agree that the change at Atlas, or rather this specific title, was later than what occurred with Showcase.

Unusual also that the entire book from cover to inside art is all by one artist Jerry Robinson!

..... there are actually more than one full length Robinson story..... not sure of how many..... but I believe they were all in this title, and very well done. GOD BLESS...

..... and I, too, agree that the SA came later for Atlas..... they struggled on for a few more years with horror/ fantasy/ suspense before they embraced the need for change.

Atomic Age

Silver Age Transition

Early Silver Age

70-99 = Monster issues

Super Hero Silver Age

Mike

The only change I'd make is including 67-69 in Marvel's Silver Age, which I tend to think of as starting with the Jan 59 cover dates. They do have Kirby and Ditko stories , and starting with 68, Kirby covers. 35-66 are of greater interest to predominantly pre-code collectors than they are SA collectors, but SA fans of the Marvel Monster era are more likely to start with Kirby's work, even if the stories aren't monster themed.

Atomic Age

Silver Age Transition

Early Silver Age

70-99 = Monster issues

Super Hero Silver Age

Mike

The only change I'd make is including 67-69 in Marvel's Silver Age, which I tend to think of as starting with the Jan 59 cover dates. They do have Kirby and Ditko stories , and starting with 68, Kirby covers. 35-66 are of greater interest to predominantly pre-code collectors than they are SA collectors, but SA fans of the Marvel Monster era are more likely to start with Kirby's work, even if the stories aren't monster themed.

....this is just me...... but I don't consider anything by Atlas/Marvel to be SA until Kirby arrived. There were no Beatles before Lennon/McCartney ...........GOD BLESS...