• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Interesting that the story is broken up between character chapters. Thanks for posting! What also is interesting is that I noticed those strange swirling brush marks (going through the title "Breakthrough" and some text below). I've seen them before in other books, I wonder what they are from, some sort of mechanical defect from the press? (shrug)

Not too clear in the scan, but if I recall correctly it is barbed wire.

I'm not so sure. Not that it couldn't be the case but it seems to knock-out the text and make it unreadable to some extent. Unless the drawn image of the barbed wire somehow shifted position on the sheet before press? I have seen these same marks in an Atlas PCH book too, now I'll have to see if I can remember which book! ???

Not too clear in the scan, but if I recall correctly it is barbed wire.

Red Tomato lol

I'm not so sure. Not that it couldn't be the case but it seems to knock-out the text and make it unreadable to some extent. Unless the drawn image of the barbed wire somehow shifted position on the sheet before press? I have seen these same marks in an Atlas PCH book too, now I'll have to see if I can remember which book! ???

Jayman is right rjpb. The Red Tomato is on me. I have a reading copy and just checked it out. When I look more carefully, I see that the spirals (that with a cursory inspection I had thought were designed) are in fact a printing defect, because they loop into the text underneath.

Well, a few months ago I decided to go after the 6 Atlas Marvel Boy issues and I'm halfway there. I notice the 2 Marvel Boys were published under Marvel Comics and then the Astonishing 3 is labeled Atlas. First Atlas comic - or at least the first month they published under their own brand?

IMG_2363.jpg

Great little series!

I notice the 2 Marvel Boys were published under Marvel Comics and then the Astonishing 3 is labeled Atlas. First Atlas comic - or at least the first month they published under their own brand?

The Atlas logo was first used back in the 40s and it was used inconsistently across different titles even while the Timely logo was also used.

Martin Goodman created many different companies, each of which published one or more titles. This complicated structure minimized the financial impact of a failed title since he could go to bankruptcy court with just the one company and not his whole conglomerate. This is at least a partial explanation for the variation in logos.

When Marie Severin was asked about her work at "Atlas" she replied that she never worked there -- she worked at Timely and then later Marvel. Basically, only the fans/collectors distinguish the time period as "Atlas."

thought I would wake this thread up a little.

I have tried for quite awhile to acquire Mystic 4 and 6, with a Wolverton story in each. Then bing-bang-boom, within one week, I was able to pickup each issue in excellent shape.

photo MYSTIC 4_zps4iq77wsm.jpg

photo MYSTIC 6_zpsd9ivppxi.jpg

Just outstanding FC colors on this copy that I just picked up.

photo MARVEL TALES 94_zpskjuw3cba.jpg

This is a newby, too. What a great cover. Perhaps, Burgos and Brodsky's best work.

photo STR TALES 29_zpsvxsnui6e.jpg

I have tried for quite awhile to acquire Mystic 4 and 6, with a Wolverton story in each. Then bing-bang-boom, within one week, I was able to pickup each issue in excellent shape.

photo MYSTIC 4_zps4iq77wsm.jpg

photo MYSTIC 6_zpsd9ivppxi.jpg

Just outstanding FC colors on this copy that I just picked up.

photo MARVEL TALES 94_zpskjuw3cba.jpg

This is a newby, too. What a great cover. Perhaps, Burgos and Brodsky's best work.

photo STR TALES 29_zpsvxsnui6e.jpg

Mystic 6 may have my favorite Wolverton story of all "The Eye Of Doom" :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Some great acquisitions, congrats! Too bad the Mystic 4 is slabbed; "The den of the devil bird is a terrific story! :wink:

izcivt.jpg

All great but I'm grooving that MT94 big time! So nice, congrats! :headbang:

Mystic 6 may have my favorite Wolverton story of all "The Eye Of Doom" :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's one of Wolvie's very best! Great pickups, Mr. Starr! :applause: