• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

You're correct that the middle period does achieve the right balance.

Do you have any idea why Stan went to more and shorter stories in the latter part of the post-code period before the Marvel Age? It cuts across all genres as it is evident in War but also Horror titles.

To me, it is a buzz killer and I can't get into those 4-pagers at all.

The mix of artists is quite strong in that middle period.

Do you have any idea why Stan went to more and shorter stories in the latter part of the post-code period before the Marvel Age? It cuts across all genres as it is evident in War but also Horror titles.

I have not heard any explanation and agree with you that nearly all are just too short to be worthwhile. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a corporate experiment ("Our books aren't selling so let's advertise that they have more stories!").

I owned the Edgar Church Two-Gun Kid #3 slabbed as a 9.2(?) for two or three years earlier this decade but I decided I just wasn't interested in completing the run back that far. Accordingly, I put it up for auction, either Heritage or Mastronet, and realized a 25% profit or so after their take.

I still have a NM- Outlaw Kid 15 that I bought through a Comic Heaven auction

perhaps fifteen years ago. Here's a scan of my copy:

OutlawKid.jpg

:gossip:

Edited by Hepcat

No posts in almost two weeks ... time for some Rugged Action. Here's # 1. For some reason, I really like this short-lived title, so much so I paid more than I normally would for this issue. Only missing # 4 now IIRC -

107564.jpg.91f902987a3897b574d32c5951071d23.jpg

No posts in almost two weeks ... time for some Rugged Action. Here's # 1. For some reason, I really like this short-lived title, so much so I paid more than I normally would for this issue. Only missing # 4 now IIRC -

What is special about it vs other Atlas issues? Does the cover match the interior stories?

I'm going to try to post some scans of comics from my own collection tonight including that stock cover I posted of Outlaw Kid #15. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all goes well.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

What is special about it vs other Atlas issues? Does the cover match the interior stories?

I don't know how to express it but the sense of adventure that ACG was generally better at portraying if that makes sense to you unlike most other Atlas. The cover is basically a table of content, every vignette has a match + one not shown on the cover.

Atlas produced some good 'action & adventure'. I remember this ish as being super sweet (thanks GCD as mine's X#%*+GONE) ps- 'rugged' here too...

24480.jpg

My favorite Atlas title of all....crime/suspense, war, sci-fi, horror, and finally superheroes...the title covered every genre in the book and it didn't even last 30 issues. :applause:

I'm going to try to post some scans of comics from my own collection tonight including that stock cover I posted of Outlaw Kid #15. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all goes well.

:cool:

Can't wait to see them! :popcorn:

yeah- #23 is one of my top Atlas faves: Bill Ev cov, Howie Post, Mort Lawrence, Myron Fass, a rare and cool appearance by Reed Crandall, and wrapping it up 'The Thief' penciled by Larry Woromay and inked by the incredible Matt Fox!

img305.jpg

img306.jpg

Matt Fox tended to dominate any penciller's work but his art helps make most any story worth a look.