• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

758 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2022 at 10:18 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Just got my #24 and #25 back. Would love to have found nicer copies, but super happy to just have them. It’s honestly tough enough finding a bunch of the Captain Comet issues, and forget about in mid grade. Mainly they’re beat up!

F32341E7-C1BF-4AE8-8AA3-18813B837731.jpeg

C8817802-CCC8-464C-AAB2-2AC62F6F802D.jpeg

Nice, I like both of those, but I like the #25 best. (thumbsu

On 6/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

Low grade makes me miserable. :sick:

I tend to be in agreement. It’s extremely appealing to find a crisp high grade book that’s somehow in roughly the exact same condition it was 60-70 years ago. But I’ll gladly settle for lower grade copies if need be, to complete a run or due to rarity.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:26 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I think I said this before, but it's buried somewhere.  This is supposedly the toughest issue to find.  I got it from the same guy that sold me the #23.  This one was $65...in Jan 2020.  I think it qualifies as another "steal"...hm

49570909882_78036731e3_c.jpg

Hmm, soo many tough issues to find from around 22-23 to 100. I wonder how you would even qualify any issue as the “toughest”. No doubt this must be hard to get though, nothing on eBay at least. And The Electric Man huh, prelude to Electro me thinks! Despite being DC.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Hmm, soo many tough issues to find from around 22-23 to 100. I wonder how you would even qualify any issue as the “toughest”. No doubt this must be hard to get though, nothing on eBay at least. And The Electric Man huh, prelude to Electro me thinks!

Notice the little "P" in the upper left of the cover?  My #57 came from the same guy and has that "P" on it too.  I imagine someone on these boards snagged his #50, which I think also had the "P" on it.  C'mon, fess up, which one of you got the screamer #50 back in Jan 2020 on ebay?

On 6/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Hmm, soo many tough issues to find from around 22-23 to 100. I wonder how you would even qualify any issue as the “toughest”. No doubt this must be hard to get though, nothing on eBay at least. And The Electric Man huh, prelude to Electro me thinks! Despite being DC.

According to our premier Strange Adventures collector here on the boards (zzutak), #54 is the rarest.  And from my observations, #79 and #50 (in that order) are the most expensive other than #1 and #205, and those might even exceed #1 in high grade.  Thank Zeuss that I don't care about #1 or #205...lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 6/10/2022 at 10:44 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

According to our premier Strange Adventures collector here on the boards (Not Mr. Bedrock, because I don't know where his interest stops with this title), #54 is the rarest.  And from my observations, #79 and #50 (in that order) are the most expensive other than #1, and those might even exceed #1 in high grade.

Interesting. Issue #54 is definitely far from the rarest on the census with 13 total graded copies. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not implying the census defines a book’s rarity, just pointing that out. As far as #79 and #50 goes, I feel fairly confident #9 (1st Captain Comet) goes for more in comparable grades to #50. Issue #79 though is definitely up there, considering what my 7.5 went for. Actually I think #79 may be the most expensive book in the series grade for grade. I can’t think of any other issue that would have sold for over $2K in a 7.5.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Interesting. It’s definitely far from the rarest on the census with 13 total graded copies. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not implying the census defines a book’s rarity, just pointing that out. As far as #79 and #50 goes, I feel fairly confident #9 (1st Captain Comet) goes for more in comparable grades to #50. Issue #79 though is definitely up there, considering what my 7.5 went for.

You're probably right.  I forgot about #9 (another hopeless issue for me to find at my price).  So many issues I should have bought 3 years ago...Oh well.  (shrug)

And it could be that there are 13 graded because the owners know how scarce it is...hm  Mine's not graded, so there are at least 14 of them...:preach:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 6/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

You're probably right.  I forgot about #9 (another hopeless issue for me to find at my price).  So many issues I should have bought 3 years ago...Oh well.  (shrug)

Hey still time. This series seemingly is still not very sought after compared to its golden age sci-fi counterparts. So as you told Eric, never too late to upgrade, or just add more issues.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:55 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Hey still time. This series seemingly is still not very sought after compared to its golden age sci-fi counterparts. So as you told Eric, never too late to upgrade. 

Well, that might be true at shops and cons, but the ebay hawkers seem to be trying to milk every issue for everything they can, no matter what it is..:whatthe:.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:00 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I didn't say that...I told him to upgrade while they are affordable...lol  I don't know how much longer that will be the case...(shrug)

Well while the iron is hot I guess lol . I don’t know what everyone’s goals are with SA. Originally I just wanted to snatch up every high grade copy I could find. Now I’m just trying to complete the Captain Comet issues, but as nice as possible. Also upgrading all my Deadman issues when possible. I feel fairly confident Deadman is an extremely under appreciated character and his issues will go up eventually, well I’d say the 9.2 selling for $6100 was proof of that already. A movie would certainly help. But yeah, upgrading those has proved much easier than attacking Captain Comet 😁

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:03 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well while the iron is hot I guess lol . I don’t know what everyone’s goals are with SA. Originally I just wanted to snatch up every high grade copy I could find. Now I’m just trying to complete the Captain Comet issues, but as nice as possible. Also upgrading all my Deadman issues when possible. I feel fairly confident Deadman is an extremely under appreciated character and his issues will go up eventually, well I’d say the 9.2 selling for $6100 was proof of that already. A movie would certainly help. But yeah, upgrading those has proved much easier than attacking Captain Comet 😁

Do you have a #22?  There's 2 of them on ebay...lower grade of course...

On 6/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Do you have a #22?  There's 2 of them on ebay...lower grade of course...

No I don’t, but yeah I’ve seen those. Just a little lower grade than I’d like. I try to stick in the 5.0-6.0 and above range. So don’t mind holding out.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

And it could be that there are 13 graded because the owners know how scarce it is...hm  Mine's not graded, so there are at least 14 of them...:preach:

Mine makes at least 15.  It's not impossible a few more copies were submitted for grading because it has a rep for scarcity.