• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

741 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2022 at 11:16 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No I don’t, but yeah I’ve seen those. Just a little lower grade than I’d like. I try to stick in the 5.0-6.0 and above range. So don’t mind holding out.

Mine's real high grade.  I don't even know where I got, but I'm sure I didn't pay for it...:roflmao:

32135362244_bcc2d886a9_c.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 12:18 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Just got my #24 and #25 back. Would love to have found nicer copies, but super happy to just have them. It’s honestly tough enough finding a bunch of the Captain Comet issues, and forget about in mid grade. Mainly they’re beat up!

F32341E7-C1BF-4AE8-8AA3-18813B837731.jpeg

C8817802-CCC8-464C-AAB2-2AC62F6F802D.jpeg

I still need a nice 24.

Interesting.  Looks like the two most popular on the list (50 and 79) also have the highest numbers of graded copies.  Sounds like a pre-sales technique to me...while the truly scarce issues have low submission numbers (23=11, 25=10, 54=13, and 67=4), along with the issues nobody wants, although I don't understand why 51 and 52 have such low numbers.  Those are pretty popular covers, and not as scarce as some of the others...

On 6/11/2022 at 12:06 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Here's all the census numbers from issue 20-100.

Interesting.  (thumbsu  Here's the cumulative data for all issues with a cover date prior to 1960 (ie, issues #1-108).  Only 1500 CGC-certified copies (in total), and only 5% with grades higher than CGC 9.0 NM-.  Not overly surprising, considering that Strange Adventures is non-superhero title, and that nearly all post #10 issues have a guide value less than about $200 in VF.  There are almost certainly more high grade specimens out there.

SA-1950sv3.png.97475a65198796d70bc0eee5178719c9.png

SA-1950sv2.thumb.png.65706f91f6ddd8c2d658171cfefe8826.png

Nearly all of my comics (regardless of title) were purchased raw -- most, well before CGC was founded.  My target grade (and personal sweet spot) was actually 7.0 FN/VF -- fresh specimens with just enough defects to render them inexpensive.  I began having my SA run certified in 2016 (with 109 submissions from the 10-cent era).  The idea was to make it easier for my heirs to liquidate my holdings, in the event I unexpectedly went to that used bookstore in the sky.  Fortunately, my personal grading standards are a bit more strict than CGC's.  :grin:

On 6/11/2022 at 3:28 AM, zzutak said:

Interesting.  (thumbsu  Here's the cumulative data for all issues with a cover date prior to 1960 (ie, issues #1-108).  Only 1500 CGC-certified copies (in total), and only 5% with grades higher than CGC 9.0 NM-.  Not overly surprising, considering that Strange Adventures is non-superhero title, and that nearly all post #10 issues have a guide value less than about $200 in VF.  There are almost certainly more high grade specimens out there.

Nearly all of my comics (regardless of title) were purchased raw -- most, well before CGC was founded.  My target grade (and personal sweet spot) was actually 7.0 FN/VF -- fresh specimens with just enough defects to render them inexpensive.  I began having my SA run certified in 2016 (with 109 submissions from the 10-cent era).  The idea was to make it easier for my heirs to liquidate my holdings, in the event I unexpectedly went to that used bookstore in the sky.  Fortunately, my personal grading standards are a bit more strict than CGC's.  :grin:

Any opinion as to why #51 and 52 have so few graded copies?

Hey, Brian.  :hi:  I regard issue #52 as one of the "generic" issues with only average collector appeal.  There was a time when issues #52 and #80 (the wash-tone "space poker" cover by Gil Kane) were mildly hot.  This transient "flavor-of-the-month" hotness brought a ton of copies out of the woodwork.  Market values (and therefore CGC submissions) dropped once supply exceeded demand and it became clear that neither issue is rare.

Issue #51 is a bit different.  It is one of the scarcer issues (similar in quantity to issue #21, the Murphy Anderson  "Monster that Fished for Men" cover).  However, the multiple folks are willing to pay for issues #21 and #51 are way less than those associated with issues #50, 54, and 79.  CGC Census counts are a much greater reflection of value than scarcity.  Just compare the census data for ASM #300 with the data for ASM #295-297 and/or #302-305:

ASM.png.3017dee6ec95a2b6e6ee50a0c7684dcb.png

On 6/11/2022 at 3:28 AM, zzutak said:

I don’t understand why more copies of issue #9 in high grade don’t ever come to market, no reserve auction. I mean I know there’s only 8 from 9.0-9.6, but still. Last ones I could find were a 9.6 and 9.4 on Heritage in 2007 and a 9.0 on Comicconnect in 2015. That’s the one I want to upgrade the most to be in your grade range, but it’s nearly impossible. Someone had a 9.4 listed on the comiclink exchange for a little while and I made a strong offer, was close to getting it and they pulled it out of the blue. Not sure if he sold it or had sellers remorse, but that’s the closest I’ve come. My 8.0 was a CBCS 8.5 I made a random offer to someone who bought it many years ago on Comicconnect and was just willing to sell. Was hoping it would come back a 9.0 after a pressing, and came back an 8.0 🤣. Regardless, people definitely seem to hold onto their 1st appearances of good old Captain Comet. The nicest copy I’ve seen sell in no reserve auction was an 8.0 a couple years ago or so.

Edited by LDarkseid1

You're right about the paucity of high-grade SA #9 offerings.  There are 2x~4x as many CGC-certified copies of issue #9 than of any of the surrounding issues, and I believe that can be attributed to issue #9's much higher guide/market value.  However, as the table below shows, none of the early issue numbers are plentiful in grades above 9.0 VF/NM (and most of the high-grade copies that do exist came out of pedigreed collections and are now held in a permanent collections).  Atomic Age DC sci-fi (Mystery In Space, Strange Adventures, and early Tales of the Unexpected) is definitely not "prime" flipping material.  lol

SA-09.thumb.png.2108b3dfaae68fa1e9ad47224cf28dd8.png

On 6/11/2022 at 8:35 AM, buttock said:

VF = Very Faded

There’s a handful of Strange Adventures issues on the bay that I wish were graded accurately per the grade given by the seller. If they were they’d be bought by now. But boy oh boy people over grade 🤦‍♂️

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, zzutak said:

You're right about the paucity of high-grade SA #9 offerings.  There are 2x~4x as many CGC-certified copies of issue #9 than of any of the surrounding issues, and I believe that can be attributed to issue #9's much higher guide/market value.  However, as the table below shows, none of the early issue numbers are plentiful in grades above 9.0 VF/NM (and most of the high-grade copies that do exist came out of pedigreed collections and are now held in a permanent collections).  Atomic Age DC sci-fi (Mystery In Space, Strange Adventures, and early Tales of the Unexpected) is definitely not "prime" flipping material.  lol

SA-09.thumb.png.2108b3dfaae68fa1e9ad47224cf28dd8.png

No I guess not “prime” for flipping indeed lol. It seems like golden age pre code horror and early sci-fi and crime is getting more and more love these days. So maybe these series are due 🤷‍♂️. Anyway, yeah I’ll just hold out for a nice copy of #9 and be patient lol. My only choice since as you said collectors seem to be holding for the long haul.