• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

741 posts in this topic

That stamp on the cover reminds me of an Allstate advertisement. The hand is attempting to solicit or distribute information about “Peterson’s Magazine Center.” Could also be a “hand-some billboard.” The guys in the car have had enough with advertisements but there’s no escape!

On 6/15/2022 at 3:23 AM, bronze johnny said:

That stamp on the cover reminds me of an Allstate advertisement. The hand is attempting to solicit or distribute information about “Peterson’s Magazine Center.” Could also be a “hand-some billboard.” The guys in the car have had enough with advertisements but there’s no escape!

Well and it just occurred to me, but with how well manicured that hand was, this was wayyy beyond it’s time. I mean those fingernails are just gorgeous and pristine. Dude’s weren’t getting manicures back in the 50’s last I checked. So that’s one hell of a hand-some billboard!

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 AM, bronze johnny said:

It's a shame.  I usually don't mind stamps, but that one just ruins an otherwise very pretty copy.  

On 6/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, buttock said:

It's a shame.  I usually don't mind stamps, but that one just ruins an otherwise very pretty copy.  

Agree. The stamp is in the worst spot it could be in. Reduces the effect of the cover. 

On 6/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks like someone added string to keep the book together, with I assume the staples likely missing.

Not quite like that... the ones I've seen were through the front and back covers, a couple millimeters in from the spine, rather than right along the spine.  But I've got a couple old books sewn together in a similar manner.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, OtherEric said:

Not quite like that... the ones I've seen were through the front and back covers, a couple millimeters in from the spine, rather than right along the spine.  But I've got a couple old books sewn together in a similar manner.

Yeah that’s crazy. When I saw it I couldn’t figure out at first what I was looking at. Never seen it before myself, but guess it makes sense people would play around with stuff like that. I wonder if that would be considered conservation.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah that’s crazy. When I saw it I couldn’t figure out at first what I was looking at. Never seen it before myself, but guess it makes sense people would play around with stuff like that. I wonder if that would be considered conservation.

From the couple I have, it seems less damaging than tape.  And clear tape wasn’t that common back n the day, so it probably looks better than opaque tape would.

Not something you see that often.  They make for nice cheap reading copies on occasion, though 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Up to $540 with buyer's premium now...so much for your $30 score...(shrug)

Oh yeah I’m the current under bidder. It’s such an awesome cover and part of me wants to keep bidding. I’m just really trying to concentrate on my Captain Comet and Deadman parts of the series. It should go for a quite a bit more I would think. Pretty sure this is a $1K and up book right in this grade?

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/20/2022 at 2:48 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah I’m the current under bidder. It’s such an awesome cover and part of me wants to keep bidding. I’m just really trying to concentrate on my Captain Comet and Deadman parts of the series. It should go for a quite a bit more I would think. Pretty sure this is a $1K and up book right in this grade?

Normally yes, although the stamp placement could seriously ding this one if the bidders are looking at the book, not the label.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, OtherEric said:

Normally yes, although the stamp placement could seriously ding this one if the bidders are looking at the book, not the label.

It’s well placed though 😄

Edited by LDarkseid1