• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, lighthouse said:

But that’s only for the “right” signature. 

Would I pay a big premium for a signed first edition of Stephen King’s The Gunslinger? You betcha. Would I pay a premium for a first edition copy signed by the editor? Or the publisher? Or Idris Elba? Lol. No.

And there are a huge number of yellow label books with the “wrong” signatures. Or too many of them. I’d view a first edition Gunslinger double-signed by King and Elba as a horrific act of vandalism. And I think most rare book collectors would agree.

I thought the book was horrible 

Movie even worse

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Here's an interesting one from the world of comics (and art)...

I own a Vargas art book from the Dave Stevens estate.  It is an unsigned book from Dave's collection, but Dave had nothing to do with the production of the Vargas book. He bought it to use as a reference.  Is there any chance that Dave Stevens' signature would have lowered the value of that Vargas book? 

I’m not an expert on this but I think it would depend on how it was signed. 

If he had signed it on the first endpaper to signify ownership it could have possibly added a little value as it helps establish that it was part of his personal collection. 

However, if he had signed it on the title page like an autograph, I don’t see that really adding any value and possibly decreasing the value because without some other documentation to support that it was part of his library, it seem like kind of a random autograph.

And even with documentation, it would still seem an odd choice for him to autograph a book he had nothing to do with. 

I also think it depends on the level of celebrity. If it’s someone so famous that their autograph on a napkin has value, then the page torn out of the book with the signature on it might have more value than an unsigned book. (True for lots of things Elvis signed). 

There’s a local author none of you have heard of that’s published a half dozen novels and can almost but not quite support himself with his writing. He did a graphic novel and hosted the release party in my shop months before it was available through Diamond or Amazon. He and his artist were offering free signatures during the party. Roughly half the folks that showed up to buy books requested unsigned copies. 

If someday he’s super famous will those people regret their choice? Perhaps. But they had signed and unsigned as options right in front of them and chose unsigned. (I personally bought one of each. He offered to give them to me free but I paid anyway.)

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Here's an interesting one from the world of comics (and art)...

I own a Vargas art book from the Dave Stevens estate.  It is an unsigned book from Dave's collection, but Dave had nothing to do with the production of the Vargas book. He bought it to use as a reference.  Is there any chance that Dave Stevens' signature would have lowered the value of that Vargas book? 

Books are different.  Signed books can be worth much more say Mark Twain.  Comics are paper with artwork cover.  Books typically signed inside.  If it was some very rare book I would imagine a sig on the cover might not be well received.  People arent 'collecting' the vargas book in various grades.  Something flimsy like a comic, very valuable, that if anyone else wrote on it would be a defect, in my opinion anyone who writes on it is a defect.  And many collectors agree with me.  They do not want comics that are written on, and frequently pay more for one that isnt.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Books are different.  Signed books can be worth much more say Mark Twain.  Comics are paper with artwork cover.  Books typically signed inside.  If it was some very rare book I would imagine a sig on the cover might not be well received.  People arent 'collecting' the vargas book in various grades.  Something flimsy like a comic, very valuable, that if anyone else wrote on it would be a defect, in my opinion anyone who writes on it is a defect.  And many collectors agree with me.  They do not want comics that are written on, and frequently pay more for one that isnt.

So you are saying the sig destroys the artwork?

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Makes sense

But then why does a reputable company like CGC allow such a thing? If it destroys the comics.

They also allow people to rip cover off and send in for grading, if they want.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What?

Are you trying to say that the value of a yellow label is 33% of a blue label?

Maybe lower for many collectors.  I'd rather have a purple AF15 than a yellow.  If I had to keep it I mean.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I'd rather have an AF15 with a dot of sharpie on it than some name scribbled.  And aliens watching would agree with me, using pure logic.

WEEEE'VE BEEN OBSERVING YOUR EARTH!