• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It would appear there are not a lot of silver age on that list, and thank you @valiantman

The link I posted to CGCdata.com will let you set the start and end years, so you can focus on Silver Age and Bronze Age (expecting ASM #129 and Hulk #181 at the top), but seeing where Silver Age books fall in the list with the Bronze, too. Iron Man #1 (Silver Age, 1968) comes in fourth for 1956 to 1979.  ASM #50 is sixth, FF #48 is eighth, and X-Men #1 is ninth.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicyearstart/1956/comicyearend/1979/label/sig/orderby/submissions/variants/yes/

1 minute ago, god503 said:

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE HERE!!!!!     WOULD YOU TURN DOWN A SIG FROM JERRY SEIGEL ON A SUPERMAN BOOK IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE!!!!!!!  I DARE YOU TO SAY YES!

Yes-if I was offered either that or a non-signed, on a book of any real value.  Superman 250, what the hell.

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It would appear there are not a lot of silver age on that list, and thank you @valiantman

Perhaps @kav the SA current set of collectors feel like you that it may not be wise for signature series, but that could always easily change. Given the current rate between high low sales, it doesn't seem that bad to current collectors, but in the future is anyone's guess  :x

Safe to say the yellow label trend is relativly new, how many silver age artist, writers are or were alive the last 10 years?

Edited by god503

Just now, kav said:

Yes-if I was offered either that or a non-signed, on a book of any real value.  Superman 250, what the hell.

you really want me to believe you would turn down a sig from seigal??????

If someone cool signs on a napkin, I'd rather have that than an unsigned napkin.  On action #1-no sigs pls.

Just now, god503 said:

you really want me to believe you would turn down a sig from seigal??????

If it was superman #1, or 50 or any book of value-absolutely.

3 minutes ago, god503 said:

The type of sig also plays a roll you know.  A hulk 181 with trimpe wein and lee is worth alot more than one with just romita...   3 are dead... the other one still alive.  

Signature series and those who could afford these keys, and then have the ability to attend cons and participate has not been long out of the gate generation wise.

Plus there will always be purists always, and I'm willing to guess that everyone is, who also would make exceptions for certain books and artists....

There are few that would start with all the knowledge etc that it tales and would have nothing but yellow labels

For that cause alone, blue label will always have a premium, even if it's not viewed or evident. Plus with blue label, there is always the option currently for signature series of alive artists, that we can see is mostly what is being signed....

Signature series and those who could afford these keys, and then have the ability to attend cons and participate has not been long out of the gate generation wise.

Plus there will always be purists always, and I'm willing to guess that everyone is, who also would make exceptions for certain books and artists....

There are few that would start with all the knowledge etc that it tales and would have nothing but yellow labels

For that cause alone, blue label will always have a premium, even if it's not viewed or evident. Plus with blue label, there is always the option currently for signature series of alive artists, that we can see is mostly what is being signed....

I dont disagree with anything you say here.  But if you do an average of sales over a period of time, i am willing to bet the sigs get more than the non sigs

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The link I posted to CGCdata.com will let you set the start and end years, so you can focus on Silver Age and Bronze Age (expecting ASM #129 and Hulk #181 at the top), but seeing where Silver Age books fall in the list with the Bronze, too. Iron Man #1 (Silver Age, 1968) comes in fourth for 1956 to 1979.  ASM #50 is sixth, FF #48 is eighth, and X-Men #1 is ninth.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicyearstart/1956/comicyearend/1979/label/sig/orderby/submissions/variants/yes/

I stand corrected lol

There are arguments both ways.

Forget the "comic" aspect for a second and compare two first editions of books, there are very, very few examples (and I can't think of any) where a first edition signed by the author is worth less than an unsigned first edition.

Comic books are (also) books, so there will always be people who compare signed to unsigned the way "the real world" does for books.

Just now, god503 said:

I dont disagree with anything you say here.  But if you do an average of sales over a period of time, i am willing to bet the sigs get more than the non sigs

While that may also be true, realize it may also be a growing trend and that also may not always live up to its name, the final shake if ever definite will decide though

In short there will always be purists, keep it in mind that, sig doesn't always equal more in selling price

That's all anyone is saying

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

There are arguments both ways.

Forget the "comic" aspect for a second and compare two first editions of books, there are very, very few examples (and I can't think of any) where a first edition signed by the author is worth less than an unsigned first edition.

Comic books are (also) books, so there will always be people who compare signed to unsigned the way "the real world" does for books.

That's as close to a final shake down as any I guess  ^^

3 minutes ago, god503 said:

This is just not true and you can search sold auctions/BINs any valuable book any grade and see for yourself.  I have done it.

While that may also be true, realize it may also be a growing trend and that also may not always live up to its name, the final shake if ever definite will decide though

In short there will always be purists, keep it in mind that, sig doesn't always equal more in selling price

That's all anyone is saying

Unfortunately, with all the movies, there are more speculators than purists around these days

You can see in this very thread abt 50% of collectors do not like sigs.  This impacts sale price.

Not talking abt moderns here-modern hype/sig/flipping skews it in favor of sigs.

1 minute ago, kav said:

You can see in this very thread abt 50% of collectors do not like sigs.  This impacts sale price.

Can you like my post when I get my GSXM #1 back? Signed by Claremont lol

Jk.... it is what it is, I wish I had a lower grade than my 7.0 to have sent in is all....

Of the books listed earlier most were not higher than 3.5 :foryou:

Somehow that made it better to me