• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I mean if Jerry’s signature is that big a deal to you, here’s a 1985 SDCC program triple signed by Jerry, Joanne, and Julie. All deceased.

5B18DC45-DA5E-4BF4-8F02-58E0207BDBF1.thumb.jpeg.8c1665c4789f32c60922500b3585c583.jpeg

get that page slabbed

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

There are arguments both ways.

Forget the "comic" aspect for a second and compare two first editions of books, there are very, very few examples (and I can't think of any) where a first edition signed by the author is worth less than an unsigned first edition.

Comic books are (also) books, so there will always be people who compare signed to unsigned the way "the real world" does for books.

But that’s only for the “right” signature. 

Would I pay a big premium for a signed first edition of Stephen King’s The Gunslinger? You betcha. Would I pay a premium for a first edition copy signed by the editor? Or the publisher? Or Idris Elba? Lol. No.

And there are a huge number of yellow label books with the “wrong” signatures. Or too many of them. I’d view a first edition Gunslinger double-signed by King and Elba as a horrific act of vandalism. And I think most rare book collectors would agree.

57 minutes ago, god503 said:

AND because i have too....  Did you take the time to notice something Einstein?   ITS NOT THE SAME BOOK!

I did, but as I don’t care and am just pushing your buttons, I decided to ignore this fact. 

Just like you do! :baiting:;)

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I did, but as I don’t care and am just pushing your buttons, I decided to ignore this fact. 

Just like you do! :baiting:;)

Sure, (thumbsu  what ever floats your boat.  And the only thing your doing is interrupting my watching of the 2003 ALCS

Edited by god503

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Would I pay a big premium for a signed first edition of Stephen King’s The Gunslinger? You betcha. Would I pay a premium for a first edition copy signed by the editor? Or the publisher? Or Idris Elba? Lol. No.

And there are a huge number of yellow label books with the “wrong” signatures. Or too many of them. I’d view a first edition Gunslinger double-signed by King and Elba as a horrific act of vandalism. And I think most rare book collectors would agree.

For the record you undervalue Charles Scribner and his sons. lol 

:baiting:

6 minutes ago, god503 said:

Sure, (thumbsu  what ever floats your boat.  And the only thing your doing is interrupting my watching of the 2003 ALCS

Game 7?

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Game 7?

of course!  in the 8th right now.  watching pedro getting smacked around

Edited by god503

3 hours ago, god503 said:

every book i compared against my collection to signed always had a premium.  every yellow label i bought cost me more than the matching blue label

Did you adjust for the cost of the signature and the cost of grading the signature?

If a blue label goes for $500 and a yellow label goes for $550 but the cost of the signature and the signature grading is $50 then I wouldn't say that the yellow label brought in a premium, it just added more costs to the baseline blue label.

52 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I think the main difference (at least to me) with a celebrity sig on a book that's not a comic and one that is, is the illustration aspect.  When there are just words on the page, the author is the only one I would want to sign.  But add illustrations to it and I would be interested in a celebrity sig as well, as long as the sig is significant to the character being portrayed in the illustrations.  I'd also want the illustrators signature.  But that's me and I am a collector of sigs.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

Did you adjust for the cost of the signature and the cost of grading the signature?

If a blue label goes for $500 and a yellow label goes for $550 but the cost of the signature and the signature grading is $50 then I wouldn't say that the yellow label brought in a premium, it just added more costs to the baseline blue label.

Always.  I price the cost of every sig as 100 dollars  (artist, slabbing, shipping etc)  but some sigs cost more than others.  frank miller is going to cost 150   stan is dead his is worth about a 200 -300 premium alone

12 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Here's an interesting one from the world of comics (and art)...

I own a Vargas art book from the Dave Stevens estate.  It is an unsigned book from Dave's collection, but Dave had nothing to do with the production of the Vargas book. He bought it to use as a reference.  Is there any chance that Dave Stevens' signature would have lowered the value of that Vargas book?