• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, god503 said:

Yellow labels command more of premium than blue labels of the same issue.  THAT IS JUST A STRAIGHT FACT!  Doesn't matter if you dont like sigs.  fact is fact

as my first post in thread demonstrated, not always true.  and i can find as many examples as i want.

Just now, kav said:

as my first post in thread demonstrated, not always true.  and i can find as many examples as i want.

Let me correct myself...  99% of the time...  ;)

Signature series is like

The video game zork

Yes zork is one of a kind etc, but find the 1 person looking for zork text adventure, and they will pay..... whatever the asking

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, god503 said:

Let me correct myself...  99% of the time...  ;)

from my investigation it's more like 50%.  search SA sig vs blue for yourself sold auctions.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

from my investigation it's more like 50%.  search SA sig vs blue for yourself sold auctions.

For SA just curious who's signature you see the most often? I mean it's still got to be Stan right? Maybe Romita?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

For SA just curious who's signature you see the most often? I mean it's still got to be Stan right? Maybe Romita?

Stan.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

every book i compared against my collection to signed always had a premium.  every yellow label i bought cost me more than the matching blue label

1 minute ago, god503 said:

every book i compared against my collection to signed always had a premium.  every yellow label i bought cost me more than the matching blue label

Pick random SA key or decent value book and lets see.  We'll do a search.

Edited by kav

Dont pick some worthless SA book like some random tales of suspense worth $5 because obviously as sig version will do better.

I never disparage what other people like to collect. I collect plenty of things most folks would turn up their noses at. Even my most mainstream collecting choices are still VERY niche (1st printings of softcover trades, a complete set of all printings of Killing Joke, 1950's romance comics with catfight covers, etc).

But if I had a choice between a 9.8 Amazing 301 with Tom DeFalco's signature or without? I'll take the one without. Todd and David's signatures sort of add value to that book, sort of. But Tom and Stan's signatures do nothing but reduce my interest.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. And if the purchaser is stoked, that's awesome. I'm beyond stoked whenever I find a copy of Romantic Hearts 9 and it's not like anyone else in this thread is actively chasing it.

But if I had to invest $15,000 in copies of Amazing 301 today with no ability to resell them for 20 years? I doubt I buy a single Yellow Label.

1 minute ago, god503 said:

This is a situation where you and Kav are both kind of right.  You have always paid a premium, most likely because you are purchasing from a sophisticated SS marketplace - here or Ebay qualify.  SS books on Comiclink or especially Heritage often times tank.  And it demonstrates what lots of people here are dicussing.  There is a much smaller market, and if you miss the market, you will get a fraction of what the book is "worth." 

I would love to see @valiantman's census on most SS of a book, with the book info you might be able to guess someone's participation with the book and signature frequency...

Probably the most would be McFarlane spawn and an easy tell, still

As far as Stan goes, I tried to look up the ones I had in the census upon his passing, and there were at most 3-400 SS'd period no matter who did them with the following issues....thay have thousands of blue labels

FF 49

ASM 129 & 50

X-Men 12 & 13

Thor 168

IH 180 &181

Just now, lighthouse said:

I never disparage what other people like to collect. I collect plenty of things most folks would turn up their noses at. Even my most mainstream collecting choices are still VERY niche (1st printings of softcover trades, a complete set of all printings of Killing Joke, 1950's romance comics with catfight covers, etc).

But if I had a choice between a 9.8 Amazing 301 with Tom DeFalco's signature or without? I'll take the one without. Todd and David's signatures sort of add value to that book, sort of. But Tom and Stan's signatures do nothing but reduce my interest.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. And if the purchaser is stoked, that's awesome. I'm beyond stoked whenever I find a copy of Romantic Hearts 9 and it's not like anyone else in this thread is actively chasing it.

But if I had to invest $15,000 in copies of Amazing 301 today with no ability to resell them for 20 years? I doubt I buy a single Yellow Label.

I think the conversation is not about personal preference, but more of a economical fact.  and the fact is that yellow label 301 at 9.8 is worth more than a blue label 9.8

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

This is a situation where you and Kav are both kind of right.  You have always paid a premium, most likely because you are purchasing from a sophisticated SS marketplace - here or Ebay qualify.  SS books on Comiclink or especially Heritage often times tank.  And it demonstrates what lots of people here are dicussing.  There is a much smaller market, and if you miss the market, you will get a fraction of what the book is "worth." 

If your telling me that yellow labels on CL and heritage are cheaper than Ebay....  I AM SO THERE MAN!

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

I think the conversation is not about personal preference, but more of a economical fact.  and the fact is that yellow label 301 at 9.8 is worth more than a blue label 9.8

But the economical part of SS is all about personal preference...what someone is willing to spend on it.