• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, kav said:

I also am predicting future scorn from collectors at books that were written on.  Pristine will command the highest premium.

You would be wrong.

Again, too many variables as @revat stated. 

For example, as much as we laugh about Stan Lee signing everything, people within the comics industry might want a certified Stan Lee autograph that they can trust was signed by Stan.  For them, they want the signature, and the book is nothing more than a secondary backdrop for that signature.  This is why one of the Stan signatures I have is on a copy of "True Believers: Amazing Fantasy 15".  However, I agree with you Kav that, certain universal books should not be touched which is why I never got an actual AF15 signed by Stan.  However, when it comes to preserving this month's modern?  No one is really going to care in comparison to having a Stan autograph. 

As far as getting every creator on a book?  For the most part, no one is eventually going to care. Sure, they are big names that will stand the test of time, Stan Lee, Frazetta, among them.  However guys like David Michelinie and Len Wein will become footnotes.  Eventually when someone picks up a slab signed by them they will say, 'cool'... "who?"  As long as there are GI Joe collector's anything Hama touched will be sought out as they don't just look at him as a comic creator but the spiritual father of GI Joe. 

Here is the thing though.  When I was 15, back then, I saw a lot of what currently passes for today's collecting habits.  I came over from baseball cards which I believe I can safely assume many others did. Back then you were driven to collect the rookies. For the most part, the rookies were more important than the limited edition cards.   My collecting focus was driven toward collecting first appearances.  Chris Claremont wrote an excellent run on X-Men?  So what? That's the first issue that featured Frank Miller on Daredevil! So what?  I didn't care.  Really, I didn't.   The only reason they had that opportunity was because there was a Daredevil.  There was an X-Men.  I went after the first appearances.   In the future, I predict that no one is going to care about B+ comics talent.  Many of the creators will become no names.  Guys like Stan Lee however will be like Babe Ruth.   People are going to hunt for artifacts of Stan and consider the issue he signed as secondary. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You would be wrong.

Again, too many variables as @revat stated. 

For example, as much as we laugh about Stan Lee signing everything, people within the comics industry might want a certified Stan Lee autograph that they can trust was signed by Stan.  For them, they want the signature, and the book is nothing more than a secondary backdrop for that signature.  This is why one of the Stan signatures I have is on a copy of "True Believers: Amazing Fantasy 15".  However, I agree with you Kav that, certain universal books should not be touched which is why I never got an actual AF15 signed by Stan.  However, when it comes to preserving this month's modern?  No one is really going to care in comparison to having a Stan autograph. 

As far as getting every creator on a book?  For the most part, no one is eventually going to care. Sure, they are big names that will stand the test of time, Stan Lee, Frazetta, among them.  However guys like David Michelinie and Len Wein will become footnotes.  Eventually when someone picks up a slab signed by them they will say, 'cool'... "who?"  As long as there are GI Joe collector's anything Hama touched will be sought out as they don't just look at him as a comic creator but the spiritual father of GI Joe. 

Here is the thing though.  When I was 15, back then, I saw a lot of what currently passes for today's collecting habits.  I came over from baseball cards which I believe I can safely assume many others did. Back then you were driven to collect the rookies. For the most part, the rookies were more important than the limited edition cards.   My collecting focus was driven toward collecting first appearances.  Chris Claremont wrote an excellent run on X-Men?  So what? That's the first issue that featured Frank Miller on Daredevil! So what?  I didn't care.  Really, I didn't.   The only reason they had that opportunity was because there was a Daredevil.  There was an X-Men.  I went after the first appearances.   In the future, I predict that no one is going to care about B+ comics talent.  Many of the creators will become no names.  Guys like Stan Lee however will be like Babe Ruth.   People are going to hunt for artifacts of Stan and consider the issue he signed as secondary. 

I have a staple from Action #1 signed by Stan Lee.

44 minutes ago, speedcake said:
59 minutes ago, god503 said:

my brain is pickled...  SA?

You don’t know what SA stands for but you spittin’ facts, huh? Ok

:sumo: :roflmao:

Strange Adventures?

30 minutes ago, god503 said:

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE HERE!!!!!     WOULD YOU TURN DOWN A SIG FROM JERRY SEIGEL ON A SUPERMAN BOOK IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE!!!!!!!  I DARE YOU TO SAY YES!

Since I don't know who Jerry Seigel is...., Yes.

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Time for someone to put their money where their pie hole is!

Not a yellow label..    taste the shoe going down the pie hole

Edited by god503

But I do appreciate that the 2 of you are proving my point...  a  signed 9.6 is worth more than my unsigned 9.8...  even if its a qualified grade...  :baiting:

8 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Time for someone to put their money where their pie hole is!

AND because i have too....  Did you take the time to notice something Einstein?   ITS NOT THE SAME BOOK!

33 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It always cracks me up that rabid fans of a particular artist or writer, can't spell their name

Neil Adams, Neal Atoms, et. al - you know, the constipation guy?

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

It always cracks me up that rabid fans of a particular artist or writer, can't spell their name

Neil Adams, Neal Atoms, et. al - you know, the constipation guy?

Thats why i stick with todd father.  can never get his last name right.  B|

13 minutes ago, god503 said:

Thats why i stick with todd father.  can never get his last name right.  B|

Yeah - you're not getting Siegal right either.

1 hour ago, kav said:

You can see in this very thread abt 50% of collectors do not like sigs.  This impacts sale price.

I'm not sure it does.

I don't collect CGC graded Canadian comics from the 1930s.  Do I impact the price?  I don't think so.

If 50% of collectors like A, and 50% like B, it doesn't follow that collectors of A have any impact on the price of B, or vice versa.