• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's the new boards server working out?

65 posts in this topic

So other than speed, what do we gain with this upgrade?

On your death bed you will achieve total conciousness... so you've got that going for you... which is nice.

Thanks Bill. Now how about that "desert" highlighted new posts thing?

• Administrator
That's better. It's not like it was, but close enough. Bold vs. highlighted, I'd rather have highlighted, but bold works. Thanks.

I think we fixed most of that yesterday. You probably just still had the style sheet cached.

That's better. It's not like it was, but close enough. Bold vs. highlighted, I'd rather have highlighted, but bold works. Thanks.

I think we fixed most of that yesterday. You probably just still had the style sheet cached.

thumbsup2.gif

I just spent 1/2 hour on a reply to a post, and when I hit continue, it said go back and fill out the form. My HTML and UBBCode are both enabled, and last night I could not post a picture from my Photobucket album. frown.gif

• Administrator
I just spent 1/2 hour on a reply to a post, and when I hit continue, it said go back and fill out the form. My HTML and UBBCode are both enabled, and last night I could not post a picture from my Photobucket album. frown.gif

This sounds like perhaps your login session is expiring because you have something blocking cookies.

• Administrator
Issues? Good?

I've got a problem.

When I try to use the search function, no matter what word or timeframe I use I'm getting "No matches".

Make sure that you're typing your search into the keyword field rather than the username search.

So other than speed, what do we gain with this upgrade?

On your death bed you will achieve total conciousness... so you've got that going for you... which is nice.

confused.gif Was that comment necessary for an honest query? Seriously, what's the difference. I read all of the upgrade messages saying what grand new things that will change. I don't see any. Can you post the readme for the product (What's New) so I can read up? If I missed the thread, I apologize. I really want to know.

OK, since you won't tell me all the bells and whistles, here's a problem: When I hit the back button, it gives me a "Warning: Page has Expired" message at apparent random intervals. I'm using MSIE on XP; latest SP.

Specific message pasted:

Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button.

• Administrator

Ok... well... I thought it was funny anyway...

sorry.gif

The main upgrade was hardware, therefore no true bells and whistles in terms of functionality. It so happens that we also did a minor point release update to the boards software itself, however, it was mostly bug fixes, per our announcement:

"Additionally, we are upgrading to the latest version of the boards software, which incorporates some performance and security fixes. "

These are the relevant version notes, but they're not very exciting:

Version 6.5.2 - August 16, 2005

Version 6.5.2 is an important maintenance release that contains fixes to many known issues and bugs in 6.5.1.

* Important: The minimum PHP version is now 4.1.

* Extensive form filtering and protection has been added

* You can no longer delete the last category

* New post tracking now works better when linked directly to a topic without visiting the parent forum first

* Post anchors were not correctly formed in expanded view

* Content Islands could contain unapproved posts

* Splitting a topic would not update the topic data correctly

* Newer PHP versions no longer complain about a possible session bug

* New installs should now have proper default settings for the search page

* The edit link is no longer visible to normal users after the edit time has elapsed

* The altertable and createtable scripts were updated to remove syntax that was causing failures under MySQL 4.1

* Fixed a possible failure of the HTML/UBBCode selection dropdown box on the new topic/reply form

* Fixed a possible failure of the edit form to pick up the proper HTML/UBBCode selection from when the post was originally created

* File version checking while performing an upgrade should always detect the proper file versions now

* Unregistered users will no longer get a corrupted date display when certain default settings are used

* Fixed a syntax error in admin/changeuser.php

* Added a filter to the forum keyword field to remove illegal characters

* There should no longer be a form key error after previewing a post

* The Remember Me checkbox will now appear properly in cookie mode

* The "show all" option on postlist should now work properly

* The mailer has been adjusted slightly to include ‘>’ and ‘<’ for cases where they should appear, and exclude them when they should not.

* The mailer has also been adjusted to include the correct number of ‘From:’ headers.

* The sessions directory path setting has been moved in the control panel from it’s old location (primary settings, advanced options) to the paths and URLs tab. It makes more sense for this path setting to be with the rest of the path settings.

Version 6.5.2 Beta - June 23, 2005

UBB.threads™ 6.5.2 Beta is a beta test release that contains the following fixes and updates from version 6.5.1:

* Changes made to session handling to fix post tracking bugs in 6.5.1.1. NOTE: Due to this change, UBB.threads™ now requires PHP 4.1.0 or higher.

* Changes have been made to make form variable validation more secure.

* A check has been added to prevent Admins from deleting all categories.

* Upgrade system has been changed to ensure that it can always compare version numbers properly.

* Sessions directory path moved in the control panel to the paths and URLS tab.

* The mailer has been adjusted to remove the extra From: headers, adjust the headers in proper order, and to remove extra arrow brackets.

* The forum image selector has been styled to match the rest of the control panel.

* The createtable.php -script has been updated to run properly under MySQL 4.1.x

Version 6.5.1.1 - March 11, 2005

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1 is a maintenance release that contains the following fixes and updates from version 6.5.1:

* Added additional security checks to the edit post routine.

Speed is great! thumbsup2.gif

One thing I'm having now I didn't have before: when I'm at "my home" & see that one of my favorite threads has new posts, I click it & end up at an old post in the middle of the thread instead of the newly added posts. confused-smiley-013.gif

• Administrator

One thing I'm having now I didn't have before: when I'm at "my home" & see that one of my favorite threads has new posts, I click it & end up at an old post in the middle of the thread instead of the newly added posts. confused-smiley-013.gif

That can happen on any post with large pictures in it. What happens is that the browser jumps you to the new post before the images are loaded. Then, as the images load, they push the bottom of the page downward while your browser keeps watching the same spot. The end result is you're half-way up the page. Annoying, but not much help for it.

That can happen on any post with large pictures in it. What happens is that the browser jumps you to the new post before the images are loaded. Then, as the images load, they push the bottom of the page downward while your browser keeps watching the same spot. The end result is you're half-way up the page. Annoying, but not much help for it.

Actually, what I am trying to say is that if the thread is ..say, 40 pages, I end up on like page 19 or 20 instead. That never happened to me until the upgrade.

Ok... well... I thought it was funny anyway...

sorry.gif

The main upgrade was hardware, therefore no true bells and whistles in terms of functionality. It so happens that we also did a minor point release update to the boards software itself, however, it was mostly bug fixes, per our announcement:

"Additionally, we are upgrading to the latest version of the boards software, which incorporates some performance and security fixes. "

These are the relevant version notes, but they're not very exciting:

Version 6.5.2 - August 16, 2005

Version 6.5.2 is an important maintenance release that contains fixes to many known issues and bugs in 6.5.1.

* Important: The minimum PHP version is now 4.1.

* Extensive form filtering and protection has been added

* You can no longer delete the last category

* New post tracking now works better when linked directly to a topic without visiting the parent forum first

* Post anchors were not correctly formed in expanded view

* Content Islands could contain unapproved posts

* Splitting a topic would not update the topic data correctly

* Newer PHP versions no longer complain about a possible session bug

* New installs should now have proper default settings for the search page

* The edit link is no longer visible to normal users after the edit time has elapsed

* The altertable and createtable scripts were updated to remove syntax that was causing failures under MySQL 4.1

* Fixed a possible failure of the HTML/UBBCode selection dropdown box on the new topic/reply form

* Fixed a possible failure of the edit form to pick up the proper HTML/UBBCode selection from when the post was originally created

* File version checking while performing an upgrade should always detect the proper file versions now

* Unregistered users will no longer get a corrupted date display when certain default settings are used

* Fixed a syntax error in admin/changeuser.php

* Added a filter to the forum keyword field to remove illegal characters

* There should no longer be a form key error after previewing a post

* The Remember Me checkbox will now appear properly in cookie mode

* The "show all" option on postlist should now work properly

* The mailer has been adjusted slightly to include ‘>’ and ‘<’ for cases where they should appear, and exclude them when they should not.

* The mailer has also been adjusted to include the correct number of ‘From:’ headers.

* The sessions directory path setting has been moved in the control panel from it’s old location (primary settings, advanced options) to the paths and URLs tab. It makes more sense for this path setting to be with the rest of the path settings.

Version 6.5.2 Beta - June 23, 2005

UBB.threads™ 6.5.2 Beta is a beta test release that contains the following fixes and updates from version 6.5.1:

* Changes made to session handling to fix post tracking bugs in 6.5.1.1. NOTE: Due to this change, UBB.threads™ now requires PHP 4.1.0 or higher.

* Changes have been made to make form variable validation more secure.

* A check has been added to prevent Admins from deleting all categories.

* Upgrade system has been changed to ensure that it can always compare version numbers properly.

* Sessions directory path moved in the control panel to the paths and URLS tab.

* The mailer has been adjusted to remove the extra From: headers, adjust the headers in proper order, and to remove extra arrow brackets.

* The forum image selector has been styled to match the rest of the control panel.

* The createtable.php -script has been updated to run properly under MySQL 4.1.x

Version 6.5.1.1 - March 11, 2005

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1 is a maintenance release that contains the following fixes and updates from version 6.5.1:

* Added additional security checks to the edit post routine.

Hey, the Polls work for me again!

I can see the results! 893applaud-thumb.gif