• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I wrote about the future of comics about 5yrs ago...

My thoughts (click 'replied to topic' to go directly to the post)... 

And the 2nd posting...

That is some good stuff...I'm the same way when it comes to collecting phases

I started with modern spec (I'm actually going to trade alot of it off including 9.8 Thanos 13 and 9.8 Edge of Spiderverse for SA keys)

Now I'm focusing on Spidey villains 

9 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I know a few comic speculators who lost their shirt on that title, back in the day.

Well, it did have Spider-Man on the cover in my defense :nyah:

Actually the one that got me was Nova #1 - he was going to be as popular as Spidey.  I bought a few copies which for a young teen was speculating.  Didn't lose my shirt but a couple of packs of Sugar Babies lol 

Was he as touted in the UK, Paul?

Just now, telerites said:

Well, it did have Spider-Man on the cover in my defense :nyah:

Actually the one that got me was Nova #1 - he was going to be as popular as Spidey.  I bought a few copies which for a young teen was speculating.  Didn't lose my shirt but a couple of packs of Sugar Babies lol 

Was he as touted in the UK, Paul?

I don't recall any type of frenzy on that one Jeff. Certainly passed me by anyway.

The biggies I recall from the early 90s was IM 55 and the New Mutants, was it 98?

I never quite got the hang of speculation, probably because I had to like it to buy it. I've never been very good at making money.

3 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I don't recall any type of frenzy on that one Jeff. Certainly passed me by anyway.

The biggies I recall from the early 90s was IM 55 and the New Mutants, was it 98?

I never quite got the hang of speculation, probably because I had to like it to buy it. I've never been very good at making money.

I was out of collecting in the 90s.  Around the mid 80s when I graduated college and started my career, I stopped buying new books.  I bought my first house and didn't jump back in until around 2000.

I was thinking of buying in the 70s when the books came out.  It may have just been the group I hung out with on thinking Nova was going to be it.  Star Wars was another big one for us.  We were all in on that one.

12 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Wise.

You could do worse than put your money in ASM 13.

Tiff says that she worries if I spend 30k on a AF 15 that in 25 years itll be worth 50k and I won't be able to sell it. She feels alot more comfortable with the few thousand dollar books. Main purpose of this thread

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Tiff says that she worries if I spend 30k on a AF 15 that in 25 years itll be worth 50k and I won't be able to sell it. She feels alot more comfortable with the few thousand dollar books. Main purpose of this thread

That's a fair POV and I understand the rationale, but AF15 will always be saleable IMO. There will be a new generation of the rich and the prosperous. The AF 15 I sold just a few years ago is worth 4 times that now at least. A 30k AF15 now will be a 6 figure book in 25 years, and you will still be able to unload it.

But lower keys will also rise exponentially, so 1st appearance Spidey books of the 'right' villian are a win win.

2c

3 minutes ago, G G ® said:

That's a fair POV and I understand the rationale, but AF15 will always be saleable IMO. There will be a new generation of the rich and the prosperous. The AF 15 I sold just a few years ago is worth 4 times that now at least. A 30k AF15 now will be a 6 figure book in 25 years, and you will still be able to unload it.

But lower keys will also rise exponentially, so 1st appearance Spidey books of the 'right' villian are a win win.

2c

Well you have seen most of my purchases so I think I'm on the right track

4 hours ago, G G ® said:

Absolutely you are, no question.

So I was advised two ways of pursuing the AF 15

1. Continue to buy blue chip books ie. ASM 2,3,13,14,101,129

IH 181

And trade for AF 15

2. Save up my money for 3 yrs and buy it outright

What do you think the best route is?

Imo first route would be hard because I would have to let go of a bulk of my collection to fund the trade

Second route, God forbid if anything happened in the 3 yrs we would have liquid funds to cover it and if nothing did then in 3 yrs we would have the money to get the book. Also the problem with this route is I won't be able to collect any books in that span

I showed her sales of the book over the past year and her only question was "How long was the book up for sale?"

Edited by Hollywood1892

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Was he as touted in the UK

It was very easy to pick up a copy of Nova 1, especially the All-Colour Comic pence version, and I have no recollection of speculation on it in the 70s.  A favourite BA comic of mine as a kid, but its Green Lantern / Peter Parker mash-up hasn't aged well.

Howard the Duck 1 was a hot comic, especially if you wanted a cent copy.  Fear 19, the first appearance, was pricey for a while.  I don't recall any speculation before the film in the 80s.  Very strange to see the Blu-ray on sale in Sainsbury's a few months back.  (shrug)

26 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It was very easy to pick up a copy of Nova 1, especially the All-Colour Comic pence version, and I have no recollection of speculation on it in the 70s.  A favourite BA comic of mine as a kid, but its Green Lantern / Peter Parker mash-up hasn't aged well.

Howard the Duck 1 was a hot comic, especially if you wanted a cent copy.  Fear 19, the first appearance, was pricey for a while.  I don't recall any speculation before the film in the 80s.  Very strange to see the Blu-ray on sale in Sainsbury's a few months back.  (shrug)

In my humble opinion...Spec books are just that and won't have the staying power of certain titles ie ASM IH ect ect. A prime example right now is RAI 0 down to about $70 USD from $210 about 6 months ago.

Would you agree?

In 25 years we'll all be long dead thanks to disease/warfare/take your pick.

Meanwhile, in basements across the world, comic books will begin to curl up and turn brown inside of their CGC cases because it turns out, after all this time, that pressing actually IS bad for comics! Only none of us will be there to see it! Oh, the irony! 

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So I was advised two ways of pursuing the AF 15

1. Continue to buy blue chip books ie. ASM 2,3,13,14,101,129

IH 181

And trade for AF 15

2. Save up my money for 3 yrs and buy it outright

What do you think the best route is?

Imo first route would be hard because I would have to let go of a bulk of my collection to fund the trade

Second route, God forbid if anything happened in the 3 yrs we would have liquid funds to cover it and if nothing did then in 3 yrs we would have the money to get the book. Also the problem with this route is I won't be able to collect any books in that span

I showed her sales of the book over the past year and her only question was "How long was the book up for sale?"

You should ask in the SA AF15 or ASM thread as well, but here are my thoughts anyway.

Trades are hard to do. All of the books listed in Item One are very liquid and can be replaced. Perhaps, get to 75% of your target through saving and selling and then do time payments to make up the difference?

Do you have lesser stuff that you could sell? I sold off a lot of non key ASMs and other fodder to pay to fund my AF15.

48 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

In 25 years we'll all be long dead thanks to disease/warfare/take your pick.

Meanwhile, in basements across the world, comic books will begin to curl up and turn brown inside of their CGC cases because it turns out, after all this time, that pressing actually IS bad for comics! Only none of us will be there to see it! Oh, the irony! 

This will be the new, revised, OW / W page grade for raw comics ...

Starts around 1 min 30 s

If only Mylars or slabs had been used, then perhaps this could've been avoided?

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

A prime example right now is RAI 0 down to about $70 USD from $210 about 6 months ago.

Would you agree?

Very good example.  An extremely common book boosted by film hype.

45 minutes ago, piper said:

You should ask in the SA AF15 or ASM thread as well, but here are my thoughts anyway.

Trades are hard to do. All of the books listed in Item One are very liquid and can be replaced. Perhaps, get to 75% of your target through saving and selling and then do time payments to make up the difference?

Do you have lesser stuff that you could sell? I sold off a lot of non key ASMs and other fodder to pay to fund my AF15.

I have some decent SA ASMS and CA ASM 300 361, but I think in gonna go with option 2, the time is the only aggravating factor.

I do have alot of modern stuff that towards the end of the journey I could sell for straight cash to help fund it

Thanks for the advice!(thumbsu