• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

This is a good way of looking at collectibles, in terms of being multi dimensional 

Comics hits art/vision/intrigue/stories/fantasies

Don't forget the smell. Ever smelt a GA or SA book? I highly recommend it. :cloud9:

50 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I don't think you can compare stamps to comic books.

I collected stamps as a kid and I enjoyed it ...for a time.

But stamps are small, fairly uninteresting and not very tactile. Comic books are enlarged works of art that you can actively handle, read, enjoy all the various panels and splashes of artwork etc.

Stamps you sometimes lick and stick on an envelope and throw into a red box to be sent wherever and never to be seen again...or you stick them in albums.

I'm not even talking about value here, just sheer participatory enjoyment.

In short, stamps suck. Comic books are the dogs bollocks...to put it intellectually.

Interest in stamps is also not constantly re ignited by movies made abt stamps.  There's no Inverted Jenny movie, for one example.

1 hour ago, Comics4All said:

This is not a sentence

He can do what he wants!

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Y'all got the gist though, no worries  :)

You gonna let that bother you?

On 6/11/2020 at 4:24 PM, Myowncollector said:

Don't worry about it. Don't need my personal opinions on things effecting my business. Haven't been to a con in 13 years. Got too expensive to justify doing it personally and seemed they put comics on the back burner. Writing style is I type as fast as I can think and type and I don't worry about grammar spelling etc. I don't fight the autocorrect either and mine stinks. The grammar police can block or avoid reading my post. Soon as lock down is over or sports comes back I am most likely gone. Maybe sooner. I wondered why the forum was dead. Starting to see why. 

The forum isn't dead.

16 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

The forum isn't dead.

Just my observation. How it seems to me. All depends on ones view point and definition of word dead. Of course I been popping in every day so not much is new to me. If you would take a peek at some threads even just a few years back I don't see many of those around.

I could also say it is fairly active but a nice chunk of that activity comes from the same dozen or so folks. 

13 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

First, I am appalled that the thread title changed from using “hobby” to “collectibles”!  I go to sleep and look what happens.  :whatthe:  Regardless, even though “hobbyist” is the correct generic term for the comic book enthusiast, let’s go with “collector” or panelologist if folks are more comfortable with that. 

Second, someone, and it might as well be me, should address the disparaging remarks directed toward stamp collecting.  I love comic books like many of you, but there is no reason to knock stamps here.  To each his own, but some of the remarks were just wildly wrong (as in inaccurate but also mean-spirited).  Don't mean to single you out G G, but I need to single you out G G.  :makepoint:  

You said, “I don't think you can compare stamps to comic books.”  Really?   I, for one, much prefer reading PAPER comic books and don’t see the appeal of the digital format (unless it becomes the ONLY way of reading a comic book).   Similarly, my stamps are a creative pursuit as an escape from my screen-based life, and I prefer the old-school gum-backed stamps over the stickers of today.  Also similarly, you can spend a lot of money on rare stamps or enjoy it inexpensively, and some collect stamps simply because they are intrigued by the various pictures, designs, and colors they see on them.  For example: 

image.png.3373291fae96b9dab4356a1801ffcb19.png

image.png.4bb23e3506973269a74d27755ca20f63.png

image.png.a00cdf421a873ab78773ab21449b8b0f.png

image.png.abfc846bb348d5a9e8233c30ec16a07d.png

I'm pretty sure there are comic books that are valued at least in part due to their iconic or otherwise super-cool cover?  Silver Surfer #4 anyone, or Web of Mystery #17?   The entire process of searching for stamps (including trading for stamps to complete a run or set or just get that one issue) sounds familiar too, doesn’t it?  And like with comic book collecting, you need to focus on what you really want to collect, for financial reasons but also sanity!   You might not need a magnifying glass to appreciate the finer details of a comic book, but using a magnifier to identify and/or confirm varieties (which exist with comic books too) is part of the fun!  There are many more similarities, but I need to get started on my weekend!  

You also said, “But stamps are small, fairly uninteresting and not very tactile.”  Have you seen the jumbo stamps (both regular and back-of-the-book) out there!  For example, this interesting 2.5” x 4” specimen that is on card stock (!) and fairly robust for a tactile experience:

image.png.9f689fdf93f8af84c8c79355f3315ddd.png

Or this almost full-page commemorative beauty measuring 6” x 8”:

image.png.60e2085d42c2f2a168a4c4d28a15a706.png

Or related smaller, but still not “small” examples:

image.png.f81b16d71fe4b38f153cf60a0752aeeb.png

image.png.667d46df8309d78d6bb464017d8c8ea4.png

Then you said, “Stamps you sometimes lick and stick on an envelope and throw into a red box to be sent wherever and never to be seen again...or you stick them in albums.”  Wrong again.  Much of my stamp collection is unlicked and otherwise original gum!   And my stamps have never been thrown anywhere.  I keep them on a table in my mancave, along with my comics on the walls, to be looked at periodically.  In fact, I am particularly fond of my Captain Marvel Jr. #21 precisely because of its connection to my complete and colorful set of U.S. War Savings stamps introduced during WWII, so I display them together (note the not-so-small $5 stamp in the middle, which is quite a specimen): 

image.png.4fc07d6b5629d62a84064b58e4ed1e1b.png

Finally, you said, “In short, stamps suck.”   Stamps might not be your cup of tea, but they definitely do not suck. 

image.png.2d3f7d0185bad557d18f3f436947998d.pngimage.png.a56d87b7994da214dce8a061eb7eeb22.png

Anyway, enjoy what you love, whatever it is.  

I get that you love stamps. Kudos, but do you not detect an element of tongue-in-cheek to my posts?

Also did you not read this follow up post

13 hours ago, G G ® said:

I respect most hobbies that people get pleasure from but stamps or philately has definitely declined over the years compared to comics. But that doesn't matter if you love it. Personally for me comic books tick many boxes of interest whereas stamps are far too two dimensional and insubstancial for me. 

Finally this is a comic forum is it not?

Not a philately forum. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

I get that you love stamps. Kudos, but do you not detect an element of tongue-in-cheek to my posts?

Also did you not read this follow up post

Finally this is a comic forum is it not?

Not a philately forum. (thumbsu

Hey there G G.  I did sense it was tongue-in-cheek, so I kept it light.  :foryou:  I appreciate your follow-up post too.   But that was the point of MY post.  This is a comic forum...no need to disparage stamp collecting here.   Anyway, enjoy what you love!