• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I have some decent SA ASMS and CA ASM 300 361, but I think in gonna go with option 2, the time is the only aggravating factor.

I do have alot of modern stuff that towards the end of the journey I could sell for straight cash to help fund it

Thanks for the advice!(thumbsu

Personally I think you're attaching far too much importance to AF15. Nothing wrong with having a collection of more affordable desirable books which will be easier to liquidate, and profitable to boot. Putting all your eggs in one basket raises the problems you've already identified plus there's the worry of actually protecting such a high risk commodity.

There's one other problem about saving up for one over three years, the price will still be rising, so you may have to settle in the end for a copy that was not the precise grade you wanted. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

In 25 years we'll all be long dead thanks to disease/warfare/take your pick.

I was born in '57.

People have been saying this for as long as I can remember.

32 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I was born in '57.

People have been saying this for as long as I can remember.

And one day, one of us will be right!

2 hours ago, G G ® said:

Personally I think you're attaching far too much importance to AF15. Nothing wrong with having a collection of more affordable desirable books which will be easier to liquidate, and profitable to boot. Putting all your eggs in one basket raises the problems you've already identified plus there's the worry of actually protecting such a high risk commodity.

There's one other problem about saving up for one over three years, the price will still be rising, so you may have to settle in the end for a copy that was not the precise grade you wanted. 

I advise rather than save a long time for a big book which will of course have risen in the time it took to save up, buy lesser books that rise more exponentially that you can buy in shorter time span.

40 minutes ago, kav said:

I advise rather than save a long time for a big book which will of course have risen in the time it took to save up, buy lesser books that rise more exponentially that you can buy in shorter time span.

This philosophy works into my strategy, which is to jump at every bright shiny object I see

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm still gonna pursue the AF 15, Best I can. And besides I'll have a little nest egg for other books if I change my mind

fine.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm listening 

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm still gonna pursue the AF 15, Best I can. And besides I'll have a little nest egg for other books if I change my mind

You're not listening. (tsk)

On 6/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Last night I read a thread from 2002 discussing why Nicolas cage was getting out of the hobby, and everyone there thought the comic market must be crashing.

Well, according to the stories I heard back then, it was all because of Lisa Marie.  :slapfight:

This little tidbit from last year seems to confirm this:

Nicolas Cage filed for a divorce from Lisa Marie Presley on 25 November 2002, two days after his premiere for his movie Adaptation with Meryl Streep, which he attended with Lisa Marie on 23 November 2002. Their marriage lasted approximately 108 days. The divorce was finalized in 2004. The divorce proceedings lasted longer than the marriage itself. They never lived together as they could not agree where they wanted to live. He said that Lisa Marie Presley was extremely jealous and controlling, she made him sell his huge comic book collection , which he regretted. He said he should have stood up for himself. 

I guess old Nic wasn't as tough as how the movies made him out to be.  lol

I recently got back into this hobby after a 30-year absence. I've been wondering about the topic of this thread ever since I got back.

I'm bronze/copper pretty exclusively, though I've been dabbling in some modern variants (against my own advice).  It's primarily for fun/nostalgia, but I'd prefer my stuff at least hold value for 25 years--if not 40-50.  (I thought I was old, but apparently in this crowd I'm a young buck--I feel I have a good 40 years left in these bones.)  Anyway, I think a lot of people in this thread are unfairly conflating all comics as a whole, when the outlook might be very era dependent..

Gold.  I've noticed on these boards that the golden age stuff is very, very popular.  Whenever we get some golden age auction thread, it is literally a race to post a "take it."  Sometimes people are in such a rush to be first, I know for a fact they just pasted in a "take it" without even looking at the scans.  It's actually unreal.  I don't know a fig about golden age books, yet I have still been tempted to grab some on a lark.  But unlike newer books, I just can't figure out the market.  A lot of times they aren't even on gocollect and I can't figure out what people are basing their $1-2k takeits on.  Just too tough for a newbie.  But the market is plainly, absolutely there, despite the fact that, I'm guessing, even our older boardies weren't reading comics when those 1940s' books were new.  So we have concrete proof that there is some pretty spirited collecting going on of stuff "before your time."  And it's unrelated to personal nostalgia.  And it's unrelated to movies. (Like, I have been tempted by some of these Terrors of the Jungle bondage covers, but I'm not even fast enough on the "take it" to score a beat up $1k raw.)  Why is that going to change in 25 years?  Seems to me people of means will always want cool, old stuff independent of any overarching interest in comics themselves as an entertainment medium.  In short, I believe golds will be fine until the collapse of society--and I don't even own one.  

Bronze/Copper.  This seems a bit iffier.  So people my age like them for nostalgia.  And they are still decent fodder for TV shows and movies, so younger people get introduced to them as well.  Will that be enough in 25-40 years for the market not to drop out on stuff like Giant X 1, GI Joe 1, DD 168, Spider 300, Hulk 340, etc?  Why won't these people of the future prefer to get stuff from the 40s instead of the 80s when it's all the same to them in terms of personal connection.  Still, I think the top shelf bronze/cops will survive--at least for the time period we're talking about. 

Modern.  Now here I'm pretty pessimistic--especially regarding high ratio variants.  Moderns seem weaker in general and variants are a tad out of control.  Will people be willing to pay the equivalent of $1k in today's dollars for a Hunt for Wolverine 1:1000, or $1500 for a Venom 1 1:1000, or a Champions 1, or a Spider-man 25, etc?  This goes double for the even sketchier subset of printing errors and the like.  I just don't see it.  But what about modern day firsts equivalent to my coppers, like this Miles Morales that has gone up 4x this year?  If the industry really is on a decline, and I have no idea but most people on this board seem to think it is (and anecdotally I feel like there are far fewer comic book stores than when I was a kid) then I don't really see moderns making it.   Maybe this is what is driving a lot of the naysayers here.  But that doesn't mean the other stuff is necessarily doomed as well.

Edited by Poekaymon

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, according to the stories I heard back then, it was all because of Lisa Marie.  :slapfight:

This little tidbit from last year seems to confirm this:

Nicolas Cage filed for a divorce from Lisa Marie Presley on 25 November 2002, two days after his premiere for his movie Adaptation with Meryl Streep, which he attended with Lisa Marie on 23 November 2002. Their marriage lasted approximately 108 days. The divorce was finalized in 2004. The divorce proceedings lasted longer than the marriage itself. They never lived together as they could not agree where they wanted to live. He said that Lisa Marie Presley was extremely jealous and controlling, she made him sell his huge comic book collection , which he regretted. He said he should have stood up for himself. 

I guess old Nic wasn't as tough as how the movies made him out to be.  lol

His "Next" powers failed him.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, comicginger1789 said:

In twenty years, books I could have picked up now for dollars will be worth ten or twenty times that. 

You wish!!! :bigsmile:

Seriously though, I imagine it would really depend on what types of book you are picking up nowadays.  Just think back some 30 odd years ago when speculators and collectors were snapping up all of those B&W books and Wizard yyped so-called hot Valiant and Image books with some of them going for $20 to $50 or even triple digits as soon as they were hitting the newsstand and see if you can recover your money for them nowadays some 30 years later.  :facepalm:  :tonofbricks:

Any bets that speculators paying silly money for CGC 9.8 graded copies of supposedly hot recent books and variants nowadays will probably not be getting all of their money back in 20 years from now when there are multiple more copies all dressed at 9.8 and some even at 9.9 condition levels as the years go by.  hm

On 6/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, kav said:

In 25 years all my $5 books will be $100 books just like 25 years ago all my $5 books are now $100 books.

How much is that CGC 9.8 graded copy of DC's Shadow #1 worth nowadays?  :devil:

Any bets that the buyer is not running all the way to the bank with his profits after paying $2,500 after buying into all that hype from CGC during their first couple of years that graded comics were worth so much more than raw comics.  :devil:  :tonofbricks: