• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

Just now, Pantodude said:

Hey there G G.  I did sense it was tongue-in-cheek, so I kept it light.  :foryou:  I appreciate your follow-up post too.   But that was the point of MY post.  This is a comic forum...no need to disparage stamp collecting here.   Anyway, enjoy what you love!   

My 'knocking' of it was purely in fun. I do respect anyone's passions. Like I said I used to be into them many years ago myself. Personally I prefer comic books, that is all.

And FTR I do not like the digital comic book medium. I will always prefer back issues hard copy. Tactile and real. 

Just now, G G ® said:

And FTR I do not like the digital comic book medium. I will always prefer back issues hard copy. Tactile and real. 

Exactly 

For those who think digital collecting is the same as having an actual hard copy is the same as those who think bitcoin is real money

FarawayHappygoluckyCirriped-size_restricted.gif

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Fine

Choose the title and it will be the final title....because I can't remember what the original title was

lol

I believe your original title was 'Where do you see the hobby in 25 years?'

I thought that was concise and to the point.

Less is more.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

My 'knocking' of it was purely in fun. I do respect anyone's passions. Like I said I used to be into them many years ago myself. Personally I prefer comic books, that is all.

Personally, I am glad your fun was limited to stamps, because I could also go on and on about coins and currency!   Folks either forget or just don't know how many varieties there are for a given classic coin or note.  Take the Fugio Cent of 1787.  It seems like just one "issue," but that coin has like 50 known varieties that, like stamps, one could use a magnifying glass to sort out!   I had a LOT of fun identifying my varieties.  Just saying stamps and coins and currency are each potentially VERY multi-dimensional (to address one of your more recent comments).     

I've collected coins as a kid. My dream was to own a 1933 English penny, but you may as well say my dream is to own an Action 1.

Bank notes interest me greatly and I sold off my collection a couple of years ago. I've struggled financially for several years and many of my collecting interests had to go, in the interests of survival.

21 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I've collected coins as a kid. My dream was to own a 1933 English penny, but you may as well say my dream is to own an Action 1.

Bank notes interest me greatly and I sold off my collection a couple of years ago. I've struggled financially for several years and many of my collecting interests had to go, in the interests of survival.

Sorry to hear about letting the currency go.  But it's all part of the journey, I guess.  I think we all dream about Action 1 (and Det27 and AF15)!   :cloud9:

Edited by Pantodude

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

AF 15 seems more feasible then the other two 

Absolutely. I've owned 2 but can't see me ever getting another one now.

Tec 27 and AC 1....more chance of me going to Mars.

There's a place in the world for the angry young man
With his working class ties and his radical plans
He refuses to bend he refuses to crawl
And he's always at home with his back to the wall
And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost
And struggles and bleeds as he hangs on his cross
And likes to be known as the angry young man

Give a moment or two to the angry young man
With his foot in his mouth and his heart in his hand
He's been stabbed in the back he's been misunderstood
It's a comfort to know his intentions are good
And he sits in his room with a lock on the door
With his maps and his medals laid out on the floor
And he likes to be known as the angry young man

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight
I once believed in causes too
I had my pointless point of view
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right

And there's always a place for the angry young man
With his fist in the air and his head in the sand
And he's never been able to learn from mistakes
So he can't understand why his heart always breaks
And his honor is pure and his courage is well
And he's fair and he's true and he's boring as hell
And he'll go to the grave as an angry old man

Yes there's always a place for the angry young man
With his working class ties and his radical plans
He refuses to bend he refuses to crawl
And he's always at home with his back to the wall
And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost
And struggles and bleeds as he hangs on his cross
And likes to be known as the angry young man

25 years from now a lot of our beloved aging artists will be long gone, so hold on to your yellow labels. Nothing digital can match those sigs.

"My digital signature scan of Trimpe, Joe Simon, Stan Lee and Turner is the same value as your physical signed comic" says no one.

Edited by bobotski

1 minute ago, bobotski said:

25 years from now a lot of our beloved aging artists will be long gone, so hold on to your yellow labels. Nothing digital can match those sigs.

"My digital signature scan of Trimpe, Joe Simon, Stan Lee and Turner is the same value as your physical comic" says no one.

Only people in Tron believe the digital world has any value

Oh my husband has this hobby of collecting funny books.
hate the word hobby
collecting comic is nothing like collecting napkins or making chairs out of branches.
There's a ton of knowledge involved.
Not a hobby.
For many a profession

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Noticed my Thanos 13 9.8 went up $80 since last I checc'd

oh is your hobby making money on comics??

Certain words aggravate the hell out of me.  I hate it when ppl say bum or tushie.  It drives me up the wall.  

15 minutes ago, kav said:

Certain words aggravate the hell out of me.  I hate it when ppl say bum or tushie.  It drives me up the wall.  

dang kav :foryou: you make me chuckle, but if I ever use the word I'll think of you and hopefully repent hahaha :tink: 

Hobby just sounds like something the wife would say to describe what she considers her husband's silly interest in funny books.  It sounds demeaning to me.