• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Exactly 

For those who think digital collecting is the same as having an actual hard copy is the same as those who think bitcoin is real money

FarawayHappygoluckyCirriped-size_restricted.gif

Did someone say Bitcoin?!

WUUUUUUDDDDDDYYYYYY!

wudyhat.jpe

CGC will probably have slabbing services for other parts of the comic hobby. They will probably have slabbed roughly 15 million items.

Treasury Size Books?

"Extinction" of Newton rings?

Slabbing original comic art pages? (or does that actually exist currently due to the slabbing of prints/concert posters)

On 6/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, Bookery said:

1. Comics didn't become noticeably collectible until the 1970s.  That's less than 50 years.  That's a blip on the screen of historical markets.  Books were collectible for 500 years.  Except for the big and ultra-rare stuff... that market pretty much died almost overnight.

2. How is collecting at an all time high?  By what standard?  When I started all back-issues were considered a premium item.  A comic was released at 75-cents.  Two months later it went into back-stock as an out-of-print item for $1.00.  Or more.  Today, a $4.00 comic is discounted by 75% and goes into the $1 bins a few weeks after its release.  It's been 40 years of inflation, yet back-issue comics still sell for $1.  People confuse what the big keys do as an indicator of the health of a market.  It's not.

3.  Movie have little to do with book sales.  James Bond has been a massive box office hit for almost 60 years.  Almost everyone has seen a James Bond movie.  How many have read the novels?  And though the books will popular in the '60s, even more so how many read them today?  M*A*S*H* was a huge movie and TV success.  It was based on a series of books.  Did the show make you run out and buy them?

I agree that the new comic market and recent back issues market does not look healthy.  It doesn’t provide much bang for the buck entertainment-wise, and it does not seem to be attracting all that many people to it as a result.

I would say that the vintage comic market looks pretty darn robust though, if people have realistic expectations of what it should look like.  Most Marvel and DC keys are obviously doing extremely well.  They are doing so well that I’m generally just too cheap to buy them.  A lot of prices are down some from last year, but are still much higher than they were five years ago.

I’d also say that the non-key market is very robust if people have rational expectations.  Think about how many tens of millions of comics are out there.  It is amazing to me that it all finds somewhere to go, often at pretty decent money for stuff with collecting interest.  I’m finding less junk SA in the $1-2 boxes these days. Books I used to see for $5 are now $10.    Even the early 90s drek is moving for the people who sell it at the 50/$20 price point.  

Frankly, I really do wonder where it all goes sometimes. Are there really a million people willing to pay $10+ to own a Spawn 1? Or are there 200k of them, and bunch of guys with long boxes of them trying to sell them for $10+ ? 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/114258000881

Some insufficiently thoughtful person

:roflmao:

Miles will be a huge character going forward and while he may never completely replace Peter Parker he's only going to get more and more coverage.   Sony just released him as the lead character in the next PS5 Spider-Man game and Into the Spider-Verse 2 movie is already announced.  The thing that boggles my mind is people are driving up prices on these modern/current books like they are some rare golden age book.  A quick look on the census shows over 1800 9.8's for ultimate fallout 4.  Most sales are being driven by speculators, the thing to be fearful about is when will the speculation dry up.  Super Hero Movies are in what I would consider a golden age right now and Disney/Marvel Studios doesn't appear to show any slowing down there but nothing truly lasts forever.

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

these two are sweet !!

I got a couple of them upside down plane stamps.  Not sure if they worth anything.

11 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Super Hero Movies are in what I would consider a golden age right now and Disney/Marvel Studios doesn't appear to show any slowing down there but nothing truly lasts forever.

I remember the great Howard the Duck fiasco.

11 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Miles will be a huge character going forward and while he may never completely replace Peter Parker he's only going to get more and more coverage.   Sony just released him as the lead character in the next PS5 Spider-Man game and Into the Spider-Verse 2 movie is already announced.  The thing that boggles my mind is people are driving up prices on these modern/current books like they are some rare golden age book.  A quick look on the census shows over 1800 9.8's for ultimate fallout 4.  Most sales are being driven by speculators, the thing to be fearful about is when will the speculation dry up.  Super Hero Movies are in what I would consider a golden age right now and Disney/Marvel Studios doesn't appear to show any slowing down there but nothing truly lasts forever.

I have a five year old great nephew who is all in on Miles.  One child is obviously not a statistically sound sample size but I agree with you on Miles.

So much as many have said before, it is generational and what you grew/grow up with.  

Edited by telerites

$30 floppies (this is already happening w/ the Kickstarter model)

Chips ... whole catalogs of works downloaded into your brain / device (whatever THAT looks like in 20 years)

Impulse pricing on backissues... the more you want it and/or the more money you have and/or it's 'worth'... the more it costs! And the price is adjusted in real-time, by the millisecond