• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, valiantman said:

Can you IMAGINE what the market would look like if there was a Canadian version of ASM #300 (like there is for ASM #252)?

I see that Heritage has a 252 CPV in CGC 9.8 coming soon in one of their weekly auctions!

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:
2 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

image.thumb.png.6c96b4ee2bd40fb026fedef16aab2c4c.png7

Expand  

Why so cheap?

There is no established seller feedback.  The one seller item was a "private listing".
Shipping is $500+ and all of the items for sale have different backgrounds in the photos.  
If you wanted to run a one-time scam using photos you found online, this is what it might look like. 

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Shipping is $500+ and all of the items for sale have different backgrounds in the photos.  If you wanted to run a one-time scam using photos you found online, this is what it might look like. 

Well, seller is a long time member with 100% positive feedback so I would doubt he's running a scam.

Just now, Vince G said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Shipping is $500+ and all of the items for sale have different backgrounds in the photos.  If you wanted to run a one-time scam using photos you found online, this is what it might look like. 

Well, seller is a long time member with 100% positive feedback so I would doubt he's running a scam.

Private listings (bad sign)

No seller feedback (bad sign)

All the photos have different backgrounds (bad sign)

Big ticket items all of the sudden (bad sign)

I don't think there's one good sign in the whole auction, but what do I care, I'm not one of the people dumb enough to bid. :foryou:

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Private listings (bad sign)

No seller feedback (bad sign)

All the photos have different backgrounds (bad sign)

Big ticket items all of the sudden (bad sign)

I don't think there's one good sign in the whole auction, but what do I care, I'm not one of the people dumb enough to bid. :foryou:

Here is the link to the auction, if you want to peep

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284290174290

On 5/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

301 is noted as a classic cover in overstreet, but 50, 100, 121, 129, and 300 are not.

it makes no sense whatsoever to me, until you realize that a major dealer (and Sr Overstreet advisor) in the comics market personally owns the original cover art to ASM 301.  The other ASM covers that I noted are significantly more ‘classic’ than the 301 so I can only speculate that there was some influence in identifying ASM 301 as a ‘classic’ cover.

Maybe "Iconic cover" is only used when there's not much else going on in the issue, but people love the cover. But still, the 301 cover art was used in the corner box for Marvel comics throughout 1992, celebrating Spider-man's 30th anniversary. (I guess it's common to think it's the art for 300, since people think of that issue when they think of the pose, but it's the classic costume.) It's also been used plenty of other places, especially since he ditched the black costume after issue 300.

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Maybe "Iconic cover" is only used when there's not much else going on in the issue, but people love the cover. But still, the 301 cover art was used in the corner box for Marvel comics throughout 1992, celebrating Spider-man's 30th anniversary. (I guess it's common to think it's the art for 300, since people think of that issue when they think of the pose, but it's the classic costume.) It's also been used plenty of other places, especially since he ditched the black costume after issue 300.

^100% this... Primarily this stems OPG having limited space to print descriptions of key issues.  If there was already something going on (1st app. of Kingpin, anniversary issue, death of Gwen Stacy, 1st full appearance of Venom), they rarely noted it was also a classic cover.  Even then, I don't recall "classic cover" often as a description... more often it was "classic Stromberg cover" or "classic headlights cover", etc.  Usually there was something to indicate why the cover was "classic".

All that said, I don't consider 301 a classic ASM cover at all.  It is not particularly amazing or spectacular.  It is more or less just a repeat of the prior cover with different coloring.  If it weren't for the different issue number, it would be called a variant.  The only reason I ever could see for marginal value increase is that it is relatively rarer in CGC 9.8.  So a "rare in top grade" issue.

Explain this please... right now there are several ASM 316 CGC 9.8’s up for sale or auction on eBay. There is a SS 9.8 BIN for $2100. There are 2 Universal Blue 9.8 BIN for $1600 and 1799 and one Universal Blue 9.8 up for auction with the bidding above $2400. Why pay over $2400 when you can get a BIN for $1600? And why buy a   Universal 9.8 when you can buy. SS 9.8 for hundreds of dollars less???

Edited by Greatwhite