• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

Explain this please... right now there are several ASM 316 CGC 9.8’s up for sale or auction on eBay. There is a SS 9.8 BIN for $2100. There are 2 Universal Blue 9.8 BIN for $1600 and 1799 and one Universal Blue 9.8 up for auction with the bidding above $2400. Why pay over $2400 when you can get a BIN for $1600? And why buy a   Universal 9.8 when you can buy. SS 9.8 for hundreds of dollars less???

People get caught up in bidding and sometimes don’t scan the site for other copies that are available as bin, that have been listed following the auction listing.

5 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It’s unfortunate the seller listed it with a closing date during a long weekend.

I thought next week was the long weekend?  Last couple of eBay sales before this one were in that 7800-8300 range.  I doubt it’s going to 10k any time soon.  Honestly think it’s past the high water mark.

2 hours ago, Vince G said:

Just ended - $6800.  Could we have hit the high water mark already?  Fingered id put mine up for sale if they hit 10k but looks like it’ll be sitting in the box for a while.

thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133761894441

It is just one sale at an odd time.  I dont think it is dropping.  I dont think it will hit 10k though but I have been wrong before!

Once it went from $6K to $8K the amount of sales popping up were obviously going to slow it down.  Realistically, if we are going to predict when it will hit the $10K mark...

- Wait to see how Venom 2 performs at the box office (so go see the movie as many times as you canlol)

- Hope it is a big box office hit with a post credit scene pointing to a Venom 3

- Or any rumors of Spiderman/MCU

***But selling for anywhere around $6K is still impressive

3 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Once it went from $6K to $8K the amount of sales popping up were obviously going to slow it down.  Realistically, if we are going to predict when it will hit the $10K mark...

- Wait to see how Venom 2 performs at the box office (so go see the movie as many times as you canlol)

- Hope it is a big box office hit with a post credit scene pointing to a Venom 3

- Or any rumors of Spiderman/MCU

***But selling for anywhere around $6K is still impressive

Agreed.  Honestly, in my opinion, is a 5-6k book.  The market just got crazy over the past couple of months.  Don’t get me wrong, if it hits 10k, I’m selling my copy.  You can do a lot with 10k.

4 hours ago, Vince G said:

People get caught up in bidding and sometimes don’t scan the site for other copies that are available as bin, that have been listed following the auction listing.

I get that, but I would be furious with myself if I paid $2,500 for a 9.8 Blue Label on the same day a SS 9.8 was BIN for $2,100.

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

I get that, but I would be furious with myself if I paid $2,500 for a 9.8 Blue Label on the same day a SS 9.8 was BIN for $2,100.

As far as yellow labels go - 

Not all of them are desirable. Sometimes the clarity is not there with the signature blending in the artwork too much. Others have too many signatures or some other off putting factors with the sig play in. I think the market for yellows has always been finicky. I mean I know I'm super into yellows but picky as hell as to what yellow I'd find appealing. Once upon a time I would dive head first into anything with a Stan sig only to realize later maybe that was really dumb! 

As to why they bid above the other blue labels? Did the two bin listings have restricted shipping? Maybe it was a shill bidding situation attempting to manipulate market value? Maybe they were legit bidders with too much money attempting to set a new high? Maybe they simply didn't catch the other listings but that seems far fetched when it's two other listings as opposed to one that can slip through the search cracks. The last explanation could be something going on with the two bins involving eye appeal (shrug)

2 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

Personally I'd rather have a blue label, especially on a key book that I want. I do like the sig series sometimes, but generally only if it has a remarque, and/or if it's an artist I like but it's not on a key issue. Maybe I'm in the minority though...

20 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

As far as yellow labels go - 

Not all of them are desirable. Sometimes the clarity is not there with the signature blending in the artwork too much. Others have too many signatures or some other off putting factors with the sig play in. I think the market for yellows has always been finicky. I mean I know I'm super into yellows but picky as hell as to what yellow I'd find appealing. Once upon a time I would dive head first into anything with a Stan sig only to realize later maybe that was really dumb! 

As to why they bid above the other blue labels? Did the two bin listings have restricted shipping? Maybe it was a shill bidding situation attempting to manipulate market value? Maybe they were legit bidders with too much money attempting to set a new high? Maybe they simply didn't catch the other listings but that seems far fetched when it's two other listings as opposed to one that can slip through the search cracks. The last explanation could be something going on with the two bins involving eye appeal (shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114819742036?hash=item1abbca3954:g:nxYAAOSwd69gicRF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164752862506?hash=item265c092d2a:g:igMAAOSwH9RgWpho

Here are the two BIN. The 9.8 SS for 2100 has already been purchased. The 9.8 Blue label just sold for  $3,383. But I just realized that it was a newsstand edition and I guess that makes a difference.

Edited by Greatwhite

9 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114819742036?hash=item1abbca3954:g:nxYAAOSwd69gicRF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164752862506?hash=item265c092d2a:g:igMAAOSwH9RgWpho

Here are the two BIN. The 9.8 SS for 2100 has already been purchased. The 9.8 Blue label just sold for  $3,383. But I just realized that it was a newsstand edition and I guess that makes a difference.

Well yeah, there's no international shipping for either one. Probably someone overseas was really wanting a 9.8 and didn't want to wait I guess. Interestingly 316s do have a higher availability in 9.8 UPC. I think that may have been a result of some speculation buying off the racks at the time? 

3 hours ago, Bludriver said:

A 9.8 with white pages sold for $6800 yesterday on ebay in auction. Probably an outlier as seller started at a high price (will sellers ever learn that this is a stupid decision for books like this).

I have noticed that as well.  When sellers start at high price that is still reasonable, books usually don't get many bids.  

Just start it at 9.99 and it will go up from there.  Seems like people are scared off by high starting bids. 

Just my opinion but I think that the market got a little crazy with the lockdowns and some panic buying set it. A very small group of collectors drove prices through the roof but I believe some common sense may be setting in. After all, how many average comic book collectors can afford books for over 5 to 6 grand? Once those people have the book who is left to buy?

56 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

Just my opinion but I think that the market got a little crazy with the lockdowns and some panic buying set it. A very small group of collectors drove prices through the roof but I believe some common sense may be setting in. After all, how many average comic book collectors can afford books for over 5 to 6 grand? Once those people have the book who is left to buy?

Exactly.  The money just poured in and prices went through the roof.  I'm thinking about those average comic collectors and am wondering how they are spending and what they are spending on.  6-8k is a lot to invest, particularly in a book with over 1000 9.8s on the census.

57 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

I don’t know what the profile of an ‘average’ comic book collector is, but these days, with more and more folks narrowing their collections to focus on keys only, I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility to think that there are many, many collectors who can afford $5K books.  This collecting segment is probably a lot larger than we think.

In 

22 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t know what the profile of an ‘average’ comic book collector is, but these days, with more and more folks narrowing their collections to focus on keys only, I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility to think that there are many, many collectors who can afford $5K books.  This collecting segment is probably a lot larger than we think.

In my opinion is just another was of saying, "I am guessing." Just based on math that I am pulling out of my butt I look at the world wide market of comic book readers which number in the millions or maybe 10's of millions and then I look at the number of these books that have driven this market of the last year. Between eBay and Comiclink sales(and I know there are more sites) how many high priced sales are we talking about? A few hundred maybe? 

I still believe that an incredibly small percentage( possibly less than .001%) of people have driven these prices up.

Edited by Greatwhite

7 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

In 

In my opinion is just another was of saying, "I am guessing." Just based on math that I am pulling out of my butt I look at the world wide market of comic book readers which number in the millions or maybe 10's of millions and then I look at the number of these books that have driven this market of the last year. Between eBay and Comiclink sales(and I know there are more sites) how many high priced sales are we talking about? A few hundred maybe? 

I still believe that an incredibly small percentage( possibly less than .001%) of people have driven these prices up.

What's really confusing for me is that many of these books have doubled, tripled, even quadrupled in a very short period of time, much much shorter than what we've seen historically.  As one who came back to the hobby in 2011, and with that additional 10 years of buying, selling, swapping, watching prices, etc., under my belt, I can't justify paying 2-4x more for a book than what it sold for 2 months ago, particularly those books that were formerly realizing a slow but steady increase in that 1k-2k range.  It just makes me wonder who is buying those books?  Case in point, from my own personal experience - xmen 94 in 9.2.  I bought my copy about a year ago for a shade over 1k.  Would I buy the same grade now at current price considering you could get one at the beginning of the year for 1500?  Not a chance.  

2 hours ago, Vince G said:

What's really confusing for me is that many of these books have doubled, tripled, even quadrupled in a very short period of time, much much shorter than what we've seen historically.  As one who came back to the hobby in 2011, and with that additional 10 years of buying, selling, swapping, watching prices, etc., under my belt, I can't justify paying 2-4x more for a book than what it sold for 2 months ago, particularly those books that were formerly realizing a slow but steady increase in that 1k-2k range.  It just makes me wonder who is buying those books?  Case in point, from my own personal experience - xmen 94 in 9.2.  I bought my copy about a year ago for a shade over 1k.  Would I buy the same grade now at current price considering you could get one at the beginning of the year for 1500?  Not a chance.  

I recall the last time prices escalated in such rapid fashion (albeit not by as many multiples), was in the very late 80's/early 90's for Silver Age books in particular.  Prices rose so quickly that Overstreet published Quarterly Updates to his Annual Price Guide, but still couldn't keep up with the price increases so he upped the frequency of the Updates to bi-monthly for a few years until the updates finally caught up to market prices.  When all was said and done, numerous (runs) of books had doubled or tripled (some by even greater multiplier).