• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Awesome.  An 8.0 in a 9.8 holder 

Money well spent 

90D67118-9BB1-4826-94E9-3898254C84E6.jpeg

Guess it was graded at 5pm on a Friday :)  Do people have any idea what they are doing when they spend this type of money?  I can see flippers not caring because, after all, it is in a 9.8 holder, but collectors?  Heck if I know whose buying these books.

20 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
21 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s no way there’s only 5 9.8 newsstands 

How are you arriving at this number?

Looking at gpa sales and extrapolating.  As I said, I THINK there’s 5 copies of newsstand in 9.8.

Would love to know if anyone has more info

I did a bit of study on it last year about this time... http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2020/amazing-spider-man-300/

Rough estimate was about 1 newsstand CGC 9.8 for every 38 direct CGC 9.8 on ASM #300.

Current CGC Census totals for ASM #300 are 1,109 universal 9.8 and 286 signature series 9.8.  If you do the 38-to-1 estimate, you'd get 28 newsstand CGC 9.8 universal and 7 newsstand CGC 9.8 signature, for about 35 total (estimated).

58 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I did a bit of study on it last year about this time... http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2020/amazing-spider-man-300/

Rough estimate was about 1 newsstand CGC 9.8 for every 38 direct CGC 9.8 on ASM #300.

Current CGC Census totals for ASM #300 are 1,109 universal 9.8 and 286 signature series 9.8.  If you do the 38-to-1 estimate, you'd get 28 newsstand CGC 9.8 universal and 7 newsstand CGC 9.8 signature, for about 35 total (estimated).

I love the newsstand but personally I think the books with 3+ sigs are more important.

***Todd, Stan, David, +

Before the summer last year I was searching for this book like a mad man. I just got back into collecting and made a short list of comics I wanted to get. I remember seeing 2 on Ebay at $2500 but passed cause I didn't have the cash at the time. Then of course when I did they were gone. I do remember being picky because if I'm spending that kind of cash. I wanted to make sure it looked pretty clean. So jagged edges, Mis-wrap's or bent corners were a definite pass. So seeing now how people spend that kind of money on a condition like that is crazy to me. 

Note: I was able to get a 9.8 copy before they jumped.  

21 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s got that sweet jagged edge that we all love as well....

137F39E2-6F17-4C92-9DB4-D1569447CE43.jpeg

I must have gotten lucky because I barely notice a jagged edge on mine, maybe just a tiny, tiny section of the cover.

So is this book destined to trend like IH181? A book that has no shortage of availability in all grades, but one that continually demands a high price through pure popularity of the character. It's gone past the 30 year mark now too so pretty old really. Which is also weird as back in the mid 90s I felt like getting a book from the silver age was ancient! The gap from ASM300 to now doesn't feel like much at all.

Is was mentioned a few pages back that 10k for a 9.8 could be a point it stalls for a while. If it powers through that barrier then there's nothing to stop it!