• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Awesome.  An 8.0 in a 9.8 holder 

Money well spent 

90D67118-9BB1-4826-94E9-3898254C84E6.jpeg

Just like GCG's grading of White vs White/Off-White pages, there's clearly a lot of discrepancy in their grading between 9.6s and 9.8s.

Then I realized, most people aren't paying for what a book actually is. They're paying for what CGC says it is.

36 minutes ago, Cool Ghoul said:

Then I realized, most people aren't paying for what a book actually is. They're paying for what CGC says it is.

People are paying for the ability to sell the book later without having to prove the grade based on their own ability and persuasion skills.

A well-known dealer can sell a raw book and state that the grade is X, and probably will find a customer who agrees the grade is X.

There are 10,000 regular people for every 1 well-known dealer.  Those 10,000 regular people will never convince anyone the grade is X when the book is raw.

They will need to have someone people trust say the grade is X, if they hope to get X-level money later when they sell. 

Their choices for "someone people trust" are CGC, CBCS, and PGX. 

It's an easy choice.

As I am most definitely one of the 10,000 mentioned in the previous post, I personally don't believe in raw 9.8's no matter how great they look. I  can recognize it as a book that has a chance at a 9.8, but that's all.2c

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

People are paying for the ability to sell the book later without having to prove the grade based on their own ability and persuasion skills.

A well-known dealer can sell a raw book and state that the grade is X, and probably will find a customer who agrees the grade is X.

There are 10,000 regular people for every 1 well-known dealer.  Those 10,000 regular people will never convince anyone the grade is X when the book is raw.

They will need to have someone people trust say the grade is X, if they hope to get X-level money later when they sell. 

It's an easy choice.

1) To believe that the millions of books sent to CGC are accurately and equally graded is specious at best.  They're many examples on YouTube of collectors sending in the same book a second time and sometimes getting the same grade, sometimes getting better, and sometimes getting lower (with or without a press).

2)  They're paying for what CGC says it is

Nothing wrong with that.  CGC is still 1000x better than a biased opinion.

16 minutes ago, Cool Ghoul said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's an easy choice.

1) To believe that the millions of books sent to CGC are accurately and equally graded is specious at best.  They're many examples on YouTube of collectors sending in the same book a second time and sometimes getting the same grade, sometimes getting better, and sometimes getting lower (with or without a press).

2)  They're paying for what CGC says it is

Nothing wrong with that.  CGC is still 1000x better than a biased opinion.

With over 6,000,000 CGC slabs, even a 99% grading accuracy could have 60,000 potential YouTube examples of laughable CGC problems.

So, your points are absolutely valid, but the "1000x better than the alternatives" factor outweighs even tens of thousands of obviously wrong CGC grades.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:26 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

:frown:

C787B105-EB5B-4E45-89A6-C0D781C0BBA9.jpeg

it appears to be another case that pinched the corner of the book, damaging it. i've had a number of these. a shame that the very case designed to protect books if now often causing damage to them. this is just one reason that buying 9.9s is dicey at best. 

Spoiler

I do not understand the bidding. The difference in 9.8 to 9.9 is 1%. A 9.8 sells for $300 and. 9.9 sells for over $11,000? For a microscopic difference that the naked eye cannot see? And why did the bidding go from $4,000 to over $11,000 with no bids in between?

Edited by Greatwhite

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I do not understand the bidding. The difference in 9.8 to 9.9 is 1%. A 9.8 sells for $300 and. 9.9 sells for over $11,000? For a microscopic difference that the naked eye cannot see? And why did the bidding go from $4,000 to over $11,000 with no bids in between?

In the Olympics the difference between a gold medal and no medal is often scant seconds and in the collectible market those whom we tacitly authorize to judge criteria (i.e. CGC) create the framework from which we the public assign value to the assigned grades - some blindingly so without questioning.  What's not to understand here? O.o Perhaps you need to question the system and not the bidders, who most clearly subscribe to the rules of the game.  Indeed by your very same logic one can question why someone pays 5k for say a 9.4 of a key but only $500 for a beautiful looking 6.5, when the difference might be something as innocuous as back cover staining and an interior issue on the 6.5.  Straddling the fence and questioning why someone is willing to pay 11k+ for a 9.9 when you yourself might not value it more than say a 9.8 but would pay a chunk more for a 9.4 over a  very similar looking 6.5 key is indeed your prerogative and your parameters but fortunately or unfortunately not those of the guy who won this book. my 2 cents :preach:

Edited by Roger66

Another way to look at the difference in prices between 9.8 and 9.9 is to just think of the grading fees alone.

There are 1,966 copies of Web of Spider-Man #1 graded by CGC as 9.8 or higher, but only 12 that are CGC 9.9 or higher.

So there are 163 books graded CGC 9.8 for every one book graded CGC 9.9 on Web of Spider-Man #1.

The grading fees (and cost of shipping) alone for those 163 CGC 9.8s were over $4,000, and every one of those was a "hopeful" CGC 9.9 (but graded 9.8 instead).

If people collectively spent $4,000+ just on the cost of grading, hoping to reach CGC 9.9 (but failing), then the price of actually buying a CGC 9.9 already graded is more like buying a lottery ticket that's already a winner.  You won't be getting a guaranteed lottery winner for anywhere near the price of an unscratched one if the odds were 163-to-1 against winning.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, musicmeta said:

Wonder if there anybody with a Web of Spider-Man #1 in 9.9 sending it in again to try for the 10.0...I would like to hear why the person "thinks" it will come back 10.0. 

Most of the people under the delusion that their books are 9.9 or 10 have raw books or 9.8 (or less).  I don't know anyone who actually owns a 9.9 and truly thinks there's a chance at 10, unless it's some common CGC 10 book like Batman Damned #1. 

People with 9.9 (on books printed before the year 2000) generally know that a 9.8 is more likely if they resubmit.

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Most of the people under the delusion that their books are 9.9 or 10 have raw books or 9.8 (or less).  I don't know anyone who actually owns a 9.9 and truly thinks there's a chance at 10, unless it's some common CGC 10 book like Batman Damned #1. 

People with 9.9 (on books printed before the year 2000) generally know that a 9.8 is more likely if they resubmit.

Yes, it would be crazy to re-submit to try to get that 10.0 if you own a 9.9 or even if you own a 9.8 IMO.

Yeah, one day you could be on top of this crazed FOMO world looking like an absolute winner and dancing in the streets like crazy:  :banana:  :whee:

On 11/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Did the damn thing just sell?

5D7E0A10-8B14-47DA-AA2C-7302CB9742EF.jpeg

And then, not before very long, you could be down in the dumps crying in your sleep wondering why you was so dumb to have sold so soon:  :cry:   doh!

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 6.20.45 PM.png

Edited by lou_fine