• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,282 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 9:27 AM, themagicrobot said:

OK. I'll take the bait.

Sorry, wasn't trying to bait anyone. It was 5 in the morning and I had to be awake for an 8am call, so I was debating pushing through or getting a couple of hours kip (the eternal dilemma). Just as I'd decided I couldn't keep my eyes open I finally found a copy of this trade journal, which I'd looked for a few times It's the catchily titled Newsagents and Booksellers Review and Stationers Gazette (Only Official Organ of the National Federation of Retail Newsagents, Bookseller and Stationers).  Accept no substitutes.    

On 3/27/2023 at 7:22 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

An adult themed Charlton from 1964, regular comic size, not magazine size, 35 cents with a 2/- printed price from RV.

comiccart (2).jpg

They get about, these RV stamped Charlton cartoon books :)

1233383507_CartoonCarnival7RVSeriesStamp.jpg.da872b388854cf6c6f0952b1138c9a53.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 7:20 PM, Malacoda said:

Newsagents and Booksellers Review and Stationers Gazette

Ah yes, the old NABRASG, as we used to call it... 1366293059_DogLikeSparky.gif.bb9931c027fba02d914472c9678b6846.gif

What is the date of the above "advert"?

Drum roll please, it's number 10, volume 64, which as you all know, was published on March 7th 1953.   So these are indeed 'UK editions' i.e.  T&P B&W reprints of the US originals minted off copies of the original printing matrices.  These are actually pretty early as T&P had been doing a roaring trade in steamy paperbacks up to 1952, but from 1951 onwards the Home Office started confiscating them by the ton and newsagents were getting tired of the boys in blue turning the shop upside down.  Fred had also been raking it in from Bible Stories Illustrated and Classics Illustrated, reprinted from the exciting glossy US originals, and unassailably wholesome, so he decided a flip to comics would get the bobbies off his back.   He then of course started reprinting  'eerie' and the other horror comics and next thing you know, T&P are a by-word for torrid scandal once again, but this time practically having their own act of Parliament. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Let us know where that comes from Richmond, when you get a minute. There will surely be others....

There are indeed.

This periodical existed in various incarnations and changes of title from Victorian times until 1956, when it appears to have finally folded.

There should be copies at the British Library if only one of our intrepid band will volunteer. I made a similar suggestion before lockdown, but no-one has yet answered the call.

They may be at Wetherby, but can be perused at St Pancras if the correct procedure is followed.

https://issuu.com/newtradepublishing/docs/steve_070353_combined_pdf

If the Razzle 12 here was from 1950 then Razzle 51 (if published monthly) would have been available circa 1953.

Ding ding. Spot on. 

And can I just point out that after my copy came through the letter box, my dream girl did not look like that.  It was almost as disappointing as the Captain Britain mask. 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I like things like that. I can date my Bugs #3 accurately now:

Indeed, and this T&P themselves advertising to the trade when they will (begin to) distribute this to newsagents, so you can pretty much take it to the bank. 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:42 PM, Malacoda said:

Ding ding. Spot on. 

And can I just point out that after my copy came through the letter box, my dream girl did not look like that.  It was almost as disappointing as the Captain Britain mask. 

Don't knock it - the Spidey one was a paper bag 

C445fy_XAAAsKb6.thumb.jpg.1ad25ed677c817305cf4f124fd49b373.jpg

Here, @themagicrobot, is this you? 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.9079e747986c562a006b9f176d568f50.jpg

magicrobotsrobot.jpg.ebef247c0b4ddd285c918565390b1a3b.jpg.ff52f84f4e7a1e67a13a785491ec842d.jpg1921352492_thumbnail(2).jpg.35b9cb2b58ed6fba4cde2a73a4ae5109.jpg hm

On 3/27/2023 at 7:45 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And we have now knocked up a double century. 

Look over your shoulder, Brian Lara.

Not yet Albert. Five more posts to go after this one. Who's gonna win?

Capture.PNG.cc3234c731409b3fa43b0239e4860879.PNG

The pre-1960s T&P era is such an enticing prospect for me. So little appears to have been researched and / or posted about. There are lots of titles and issues that don't appear on the GCD. It would be a lovely thing to do, if you had time and money, to try to start piecing together what exists.

I think it's also helpful in understanding 1959 onwards. We think of the lifting of the import ban as a complete sea change, which it was, but of course the companies, the structures, the businesses, the key players were all in place. 1959 is not year zero.  T&P in particular transformed into an import business overnight, but operationally the actual company just became a bigger version of it's core structure.  

On 3/27/2023 at 7:50 PM, Malacoda said:

I think it's also helpful in understanding 1959 onwards. We think of the lifting of the import ban as a complete sea change, which it was, but of course the companies, the structures, the businesses, the key players were all in place. 1959 is not year zero.  T&P in particular transformed into an import business overnight, but operationally the actual company just became a bigger version of it's core structure.  

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever Richmond. There's a prize to be won for the 4,000th post going on here!

There's likely some that have tried, flying under the radar, but I wonder if it's actually too late now? Most of the books have probably gone the way of the dinosaur now and may not have any surviving copies. 

They have, but obviously you don't need to track down every copy of everything, just a representative sample base. I think the great thing now is that the general populace neither know nor care much about comic books, but they are aware they can be valuable. The situation where someone clears out old uncle Grenville's loft by taking everything straight to the tip surely happens a lot less.  The joy for us, of course, is that we don't need to buy or own everything, just have proof it existed