• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,089 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, Malacoda said:

After thousands of erudite & relevant comments, it's when we're flinging 'Jonty person_without_enough_empathycrack',  'Juniper Blunderslut' & 'Jiffy Bumsnot' around that Mike from the CGC happens to stick his head round the door and catch us running round with no trousers on.  It's always just when the class has gone completely feral that Teach comes back into the room. 

image.gif.2b32bfdf6a2b94a10f570472ae96c416.gif

Edit :   'Jonty person_without_enough_empathycrack' ?   Superb.  I'm not even going to edit that. 

I don't see the problem, Richmond. Jiffy Bumsnot was in accounts at Thorpe & Porter, wasn't she? You can't get more relevant than that. And didn't she marry a bloke from distribution called Watt? Changed her name to Jiffy Bumsnot-Watt, which used to cause some confusion in the office.

"Hey, where's Bumsnot?"

"What?"

"Sorry, Bumsnot-Watt. I forgot she got married"

"What?"

On 3/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Philip K is one of the words on the forum the profanity filter, Albert. Regrettably, it can be both a persons name and another word for schlong. Schlong isn't on the filter. So if you want to use the Philp K word in a derogatory manner, just call your target a great big schlong head and it will pass the filter. But Don't ever call Philip Philip K Schlong. That would just be silly. See also Grayson and Van Dyke.

If political chatboards use the same filtering, it must get interesting. If you're a US politician called Richard it's practically compulsory to be called Dcik.  Dcik Cheney was the [insert joke here] Vice President, Nixon was often referred to as a dcik, a famous supporter of Susana Mendoza was called Dcik Bigger and the US Ambassador to Denmark was called Dcik Swett.  I also remember thinking when Lance Armstrong got into a spat with MR. Pound about doping, who is going to settle this? Dixie Normous?     

On 3/15/2023 at 9:58 PM, Kevin.J said:

Not sure if I have shown this one before

1758082887_TalesofSuspense73.thumb.jpg.10c7100a16406811134f2a18d920db90.jpg

I'd love to know where JB Distributors fits into the mix (I've never been able to work out what was going on in Scotland).  What's weird about this is that comics had cost 10d for well over a year by this point and there were PV's of TOS 73 and as far as we know, no T&P stamps of it.  This upsets so many apple carts, I'll be making apple pies for weeks.  

On 3/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Philip K is one of the words on the forum the profanity filter,

If only the stand and deliver merchant had been called Willie Turpin, or even Big Willie Turpin, then we would have been in the clear.

On 3/16/2023 at 2:53 PM, Malacoda said:

If political chatboards use the same filtering, it must get interesting. If you're a US politician called Richard it's practically compulsory to be called Dcik.  Dcik Cheney was the [insert joke here] Vice President, Nixon was often referred to as a dcik, a famous supporter of Susana Mendoza was called Dcik Bigger and the US Ambassador to Denmark was called Dcik Swett.  I also remember thinking when Lance Armstrong got into a spat with MR. Pound about doping, who is going to settle this? Dixie Normous?     

On 3/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

If only the stand and deliver merchant had been called Willie Turpin, or even Big Willie Turpin, then we would have been in the clear.

It's all gone to , hasn't it. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, Malacoda said:

I'd love to know where JB Distributors fits into the mix 

We've only found three copies between us. So they likely don't. Fit in, I mean.

• Administrator
On 3/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/16/2023 at 9:59 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Perhaps Mike could tell us why the first name (MR. will automatically take its place if you attempt to insert it - the word, that is, lest I be accused of anything snigger-inducing) of the Highwayman Turpin cannot offend the sensitivities of the good folk here.

Presumably Lord Mayor Whittington and former Met Commissioner Cressida are similarly granted unpersonhood.

Philip K is one of the words on the forum the profanity filter, Albert. Regrettably, it can be both a persons name and another word for schlong. Schlong isn't on the filter. So if you want to use the Philp K word in a derogatory manner, just call your target a great big schlong head and it will pass the filter. But Don't ever call Philip Philip K Schlong. That would just be silly. See also Grayson and Van Dyke.

I have tried removing certain words including ones that can also be a name.  Unfortunately, people decided to go out of their way to abuse the privilege.  So, I rarely bother to make any more changes to the word filter list.  

On 3/16/2023 at 9:21 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have tried removing certain words including ones that can also be a name.  Unfortunately, people decided to go out of their way to abuse the privilege.  So, I rarely bother to make any more changes to the word filter list.  

I appreciate you having tried, I was one of the ones who requested it when you changed it last time.  But, as you said, people decided to go out of the way to misuse it.  Some fights aren't worth it.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, OtherEric said:

I appreciate you having tried, I was one of the ones who requested it when you changed it last time.  But, as you said, people decided to go out of the way to misuse it.  Some fights aren't worth it.

I think this was probably a wise request to make.  Despite my puerile post above, I think everyone on this particular thread is collegiate, polite and respectful. Having confined myself largely to this thread, I was genuinely shocked by some of the haranguing and insulting language bandied about on other threads.  In particular, people who are knowledgeable being openly insulting to newbies who are just asking an honest question.  There were quite a few threads where I was actually interested in the subject matter but stopped reading because the tone was so vile.  So hats off to you, Eric, and to the other contributors.   This thread is nearly 200 pages of polite, informed discourse (with only occasional lowerings of the tone by myself and other reprobates).      

On 3/16/2023 at 3:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

We've only found three copies between us. So they likely don't. Fit in, I mean.

Agree.  Must be randos or we'd have seen more. Interesting though that it's TOS and 71 and then TOS 73, both cents copies, isn't it? That's too close for coincidence. 

Here is a copy of Avengers # 79 which was distributed on a sale or return basis.

How do we know that?

There is a little stamp on the back, a bit blurred but still perfectly legible. It says W SOR.

No idea what the W stands for, though. Possibly the initial of the local wholesaler.

comicav79fr (2).jpg

comicav79bk (2).jpg

So, speaking of fanzines.....(master of the unobtrusive segue that I am)....it's interesting to read the comic prices in the for sale bits. Annoyingly, they rarely specify ND but the prices themselves are quite suggestive. 

@Get Marwood & I  remember when we were young, back on page 79, and you were saying that neither you nor @Garystar had ever found a copy of FF 32 indicating that it was ND, and then we founds loads of stamped ones straight away (as is normal). Well, check out the price of FF 32  compared to #7 upwards in this price list from 1973.   Number 32 was rare as rocking horse droppings even 9 years after distribution (or lack of it). 

image.thumb.png.c21a3076bad0bb07f04e88e418d213df.png

On 3/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, CGC Mike said:

Much appreciated.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:08 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

No idea what the W stands for, though. Possibly the initial of the local wholesaler.

That's a really cool find, Albert.  I mean, we know from countless anecdotal accounts (not least your own) that they were SOR, but there it is in print. The Smoking Gun. 

The US wholesalers were all denoted by a single letter code, so it might well be that UK wholesalers were too. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:11 PM, Malacoda said:

So, speaking of fanzines.....(master of the unobtrusive segue that I am)....it's interesting to read the comic prices in the for sale bits. Annoyingly, they rarely specify ND but the prices themselves are quite suggestive. 

@Get Marwood & I  remember when we were young, back on page 79, and you were saying that neither you nor @Garystar had ever found a copy of FF 32 indicating that it was ND, and then we founds loads of stamped ones straight away (as is normal). Well, check out the price of FF 32  compared to #7 upwards in this price list from 1973.   Number 32 was rare as rocking horse droppings even 9 years after distribution (or lack of it). 

image.thumb.png.c21a3076bad0bb07f04e88e418d213df.png

And the prospective buyer seems to be unaware of the DCs from late 1959 (except that MIS 50 on appears, but as far as I know, # 55 was the first distributed, even though I found a copy of # 54, which probably arrived without the help of T & P).