• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,186 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2024 at 10:51 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Did anyone else hear this?

Nay.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:51 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Think I read not long ago that Alan Class turned up at one of Excalibur's sales, possibly as a potential buyer, maybe keeping an eye on items he had consigned.

Did anyone else hear this?

Unfortunately this was one of the things I neglected to write down, so no chapter and verse at present.

How far back are you going?  He seems to have auctioned some personal collection items in Dec 22. 

Lot 30 - ALLY SLOPER - ONE-OFF COMIC PUBLICITY POSTER (excaliburauctions.com)

On 4/30/2024 at 12:34 PM, Malacoda said:

How far back are you going?  He seems to have auctioned some personal collection items in Dec 22. 

Coulda been, maybe a garbled version of this that I picked up.

This is on sale on fleabay at the moment. For £1,595.00....

Tarzan #1 Signed Stan Lee & Roy Thomas CGC SS 9.6 0319261017 - Picture 1 of 2

Seriously, someone had the opportunity to get a Marvel comic signed by Stan and Roy and they picked Tarzan #1 ???   Who is a dedicated enough collector to travel to a con and wait in line for 15 hours, yet the best comic they have in their collection is Tarzan 1?  I guess RT wrote it, so it's not completely batshti crazy, but....really?  I suspect this was Sheldon. 

Hey @OtherEric are there brands of backing boards in the US that have adverts on them?  Those comics Leonard is holding are clearly not JIM 83 and FF5 (though Howard is holding Hulk 160).   The pictures are wrong for the backs of those comics, but from the way he's holding them, they look like they're boarded (as you'd hope).  Are there backing boards with adverts? If so, those ads look weirdly (deliberately?) old.  Maybe for copyright reasons they couldn't display the original adverts so they had to create some. 

Or is this just bad continuity? 

On 5/5/2024 at 11:28 AM, Malacoda said:

Hey @OtherEric are there brands of backing boards in the US that have adverts on them?  Those comics Leonard is holding are clearly not JIM 83 and FF5 (though Howard is holding Hulk 160).   The pictures are wrong for the backs of those comics, but from the way he's holding them, they look like they're boarded (as you'd hope).  Are there backing boards with adverts? If so, those ads look weirdly (deliberately?) old.  Maybe for copyright reasons they couldn't display the original adverts so they had to create some. 

Bad research.

There was an episode where Sheldon was pondering on the desirability of Flash # 123 versus FF # 48, and both of them were shown, but they were clearly mockups, the proportions were not right for a genuine comic book.

Maybe the props department budget would not stretch to the real thing.

On 5/5/2024 at 3:28 AM, Malacoda said:

Not boards, that I'm aware of.  If I recall correctly, one of the earliest comic bags came with an ad for the bags themselves printed on it.  But those were clearly old and rarely encountered even back in the 1980's when I started collecting, and I haven't seen them in decades.

I have seen store stamps on backing boards, but never anything printed.  Printing on cardstock requires specialty printers and is typically more expensive.  Probably not worth the cost.

On 5/6/2024 at 7:07 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

comicrk213.jpg

I see your Miller most definite and raise you a Miller most probable!

Scan.thumb.jpg.06c384910c6b9856539e25fbaa040b8e.jpg

Or is that lower... hm

Anyway, white trousers? If I was Liz I'd let her have him.

On 5/6/2024 at 7:07 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

On the face of it, this copy of Rawhide Kid # 21 appeared to be the regular US cents version, but there was a scrawled '6' on the cover.

Possibly a 6 cent second-hand price, but more likely a 6d, applied by a UK market stall or the like.

Anyway, I took a chance, and when it arrived, sure enough, there was the Miller indicia.

comicrk211.jpg

comicrk212.jpg

comicrk213.jpg

Thats a bargain, someone increased the price to 8p for mine :) 

21.thumb.png.57e899a412452bcf0497388d34d2cb4e.png

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 8:25 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I see your Miller most definite and raise you a Miller most probable!

Sweetheart diary, but the heroine is a scheming btich?  Love Must Last is the title of a story about a girl wrecking another girl's relationship and stealing her man? Charlton gives you more....irony. 

Having said that, I'm very excited about Turkish Taffy.   You get free science facts, you can win a car....and you get the taffy! Now that's what I call more. 

Edited by Malacoda

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 12:00 AM, Kevin.J said:

Thats a bargain, someone increased the price to 8p for mine :) 

21.thumb.png.57e899a412452bcf0497388d34d2cb4e.png

Without even looking, that has to be a Miller, with its pre-decimal PBS stamp.

Any estimates on what proportion of the surviving copies are Millers?

And does anyone know when the PBS upped the price from 6d to 8d?

When the cover price was increased to 10d, possibly?

And there are presumably some still in circulation with more than one price stamp.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

On 5/7/2024 at 2:53 PM, Kevin.J said:

Couple of months later

"Lets try 8p again, I hate losing all those 2ps to greedy kids" :) 

34.thumb.png.f30101cd7ef7569e30d12fae260e39bf.png35.thumb.png.509a979229d24216cb6dcb348541f19a.png

Not even 2p, just its forerunner, 2d.

Suppose every bit helps, though.

2d or not 2d, that is the question.

coin2d.jpg

On 5/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not even 2p, just its forerunner, 2d.

Suppose every bit helps, though.

2d or not 2d, that is the question.

coin2d.jpg

I was about 8 or 9 at decimalisation, I do remember old money though, I just never got me mitts on much of it :tonofbricks:

There's an old story that I found a old pound note in a puddle and showed my Dad, he said do you want that dirty old bit of paper or this lovely shiny sixpence, guess what I wanted :facepalm:

On 5/7/2024 at 1:06 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And does anyone know when the PBS upped the price from 6d to 8d?

Pricing may have been regional or manager's discretion?  They were all over, weren't they?