• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,245 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 11:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Great minds Patricia, I saved it to the files this morning. I was expecting it to be the UKPV, but saved it to check the 10c font later as that issue is in the US Price Font Variations date window. I always perk up when a Pearl gets listed. She was a singer, you know :bigsmile:

I thought you'd be on top of this one, Velma.

Lots of nice lots in this auction. :banana:

On 5/16/2024 at 2:12 PM, rakehell said:

I thought you'd be on top of this one, Velma.

Lots of nice lots in this auction. :banana:

Shhh

On 5/16/2024 at 2:14 PM, rakehell said:

Don't trust that Clint Curtis. Drives way too fast and can't make up his bloody mind!

Yeah, he drives like a right CLint.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Just saw this on eBike - quite unusual to see UK stamped Romance from this period, let alone double stamped <3

Capture.PNG.0581bda1f81121a43e33888bdb3925f3.PNG

I like that title by the way. "It's over"

"All over!"

Dramatic.

I have complete runs of all the 1960s and 1970s DC romance comics. Quite a lot of them have UK stamps, surprisingly. But I still consider them to be ND, and the ones with stamps to be ‘random’. I began collecting them in the UK, only finding an occasional issue, but later I bought many more at US conventions and from US dealers.

On 5/17/2024 at 9:11 AM, yrag9591 said:

I have complete runs of all the 1960s and 1970s DC romance comics. Quite a lot of them have UK stamps, surprisingly. But I still consider them to be ND, and the ones with stamps to be ‘random’. I began collecting them in the UK, only finding an occasional issue, but later I bought many more at US conventions and from US dealers.

The availability fits your theory as far as I can see Gary. They seldom turn up with stamps. I wonder sometimes whether that is partly down to the romance factor - low print runs and few collectors equating to low UK survival rates, but there's little to suggest any sequential distribution either way. Post some examples, if you ever get time. I'd love to see them.

Capture.thumb.PNG.f5d30f6068d638f0aca5ae384c70d6a7.PNG

On 5/17/2024 at 11:25 AM, yrag9591 said:

You may remember I posted my early 1960s issues that had stamps. I will post any later ones I have. It may take a while.

I can't remember yesterday most days Gary. As and when mate :)

On 5/16/2024 at 11:15 AM, rakehell said:

Interesting lot currently in the Saleroom auction:

My Girl Pearl (1960-61) 7-11. With My Friend Irma 39 (1954) [vg/vg+] (6). No Reserve (the-saleroom.com)

No UKPPV of #7, but a nice cents copy to sit alongside a UKPPV that I know a certain individual has in his stash. :wishluck:

Don’t spread the word, although looks like we’ve all seen it, I’m the only bidder at present. 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:19 PM, Malacoda said:

The reason it's called the "pull date" is because the date on the cover is actually the date that retailers are supposed to remove the book from their shelves to make way for new issues.

I’m not so sure, there are more examples but these are two I can think of off top of head;

Daredevil #108 cover dated March 74 is a Christmas story, FF  #133 cover dated April 1973 is New Year story. I find it hard to believe in states a Christmas story would still be on shelves in March and a New Year story in April. 
IMG_6557.thumb.jpeg.1e2e2b26f043f4054a80cae9fe3d5f97.jpeg

IMG_6561.thumb.jpeg.3766cba51c15673b8447c7e90157145a.jpeg

IMG_6559.thumb.jpeg.a9622134f30a0d6468a3997942e146bb.jpeg

IMG_6560.thumb.jpeg.33cf1f7dc80b021531f403652ef557b1.jpeg

On 5/17/2024 at 2:49 PM, Garystar said:

I find it hard to believe in states a Christmas story would still be on shelves in March and a New Year story in April. 

They would only be there if they hadn't sold in any of the preceding 3 months I suppose.

One other observation, @Malacoda, if you're sources are right about the cover date being the US pull date, then any DCs destined for the UK under the didn't sell T&P stamp arrangement wouldn't be on the UK shelves until well past their cover date. That assumes the unsolds from the shelf were included, of course. I can't recall where we got with all that now without digging around the thread.

On 5/17/2024 at 3:20 PM, Get Marwood &amp; I said:

They would only be there if they hadn't sold in any of the preceding 3 months I suppose.

You could well be right. Never given it much thought but it could be date unsolds had to be returned for newsstands to get their money back. 

I've long assumed the date stamps were placed by either the store (most likely) or possibly the individual distributing the books to the specific stores in their distribution area.   So a date could be either the arrival date or the pull date, dealer's choice for whoever was actually doing the dating.  I think the added dates are more often arrival dates, all else being equal, but I've seen enough to suspect that both are out there.

On 5/17/2024 at 5:13 PM, OtherEric said:

I've long assumed the date stamps were placed by either the store (most likely) or possibly the individual distributing the books to the specific stores in their distribution area.   So a date could be either the arrival date or the pull date, dealer's choice for whoever was actually doing the dating.  I think the added dates are more often arrival dates, all else being equal, but I've seen enough to suspect that both are out there.

It's handy when they don't leave any doubt Magnifyingglass.gif.846fa358d016af846850ddf767abc5b2.gif

ST75March8.PNG.ce0be1bbaf96a67abd9d320be66e3b38.png.3d4c0f0196d8ececfe94f1035278bf0c.png

On 5/17/2024 at 2:49 PM, Garystar said:

I’m not so sure, there are more examples but these are two I can think of off top of head;

Daredevil #108 cover dated March 74 is a Christmas story, FF  #133 cover dated April 1973 is New Year story.

More evidence to back up the 'printed 3 months prior to cover date' thingy:

166.thumb.jpg.90f311d6bfa9a9bae0ea46bac459354e.jpg166mji.thumb.jpg.1622e657f592a9d2a05b74ba4171267d.jpg166whitman.thumb.jpg.60c9783eb3be58d4bc7b181054e46d5f.jpg

Always felt sorry for Steggers, slipping into that cold Christmas water...

On 5/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, Get Marwood &amp; I said:

Fabulously hard book to find as a UKPV. I've only seen three in the last 8 years...

No.14MyGirlPearl7(August1960).thumb.jpg.ab77e8175fc7c0e6aa1570b825e263a6.jpg

...and I've been studying real hard!!

Maybe it is lesser spotted because it did not sell.

Mine had to be reduced to 6d before anyone nibbled.

And I have rediscovered the date I originally purchased it, way back in February 1968 (I had an idea it was early 1970s, but my yellowing scrolls do not lie).

The figures in the right column are shillings and pence, not pounds.

The lad I bought them from had managed to build up a complete set of Marvels from FF # 1 onwards by means of a sneaky trick. He got a Saturday job on Gordon's bookstall on Salford Market, thereby getting first dibs on anything that came in.

That stall was the go-to place for panelologists for miles around, a veritable Aladdin's Cave.

I could describe it as our Mecca, at the risk of bringing down a fatwa.

Alan Austin deemed Pearl unworthy of mention in his Price Guide.

I must get round to reading my copy one day, I scorned to do so at the time.

comcmgp7.jpg

ledger1.jpg

On 5/17/2024 at 9:28 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Maybe it is lesser spotted because it did not sell.

Mine had to be reduced to 6d before anyone nibbled.

And I have rediscovered the date I originally purchased it, way back in February 1968 (I had an idea it was early 1970s, but my yellowing scrolls do not lie).

The figures in the right column are shillings and pence, not pounds.

The lad I bought them from had managed to build up a complete set of Marvels from FF # 1 onwards by means of a sneaky trick. He got a Saturday job on Gordon's bookstall on Salford Market, thereby getting first dibs on anything that came in.

That stall was the go-to place for panelologists for miles around, a veritable Aladdin's Cave.

I could describe it as our Mecca, at the risk of bringing down a fatwa.

Alan Austin deemed Pearl unworthy of mention in his Price Guide.

I must get round to reading my copy one day, I scorned to do so at the time.

comcmgp7.jpg

ledger1.jpg

Love it :cloud9: