• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold collecting thread - 2.0!
1 1

186 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2023 at 4:14 PM, 1950's war comics said:

A few morsels

DSCN3723 - Edited.jpg

WOW! Those are three great books! The 11 is known to be “elusive”. The 23 and 24 are just so cool. Personally of the three my favorite is the 24, yours has great colors!

On 3/26/2023 at 11:06 AM, comick1 said:

Brave and the Bold #52 in high grade was an early grail of mine for many years. I searched about 10 years before landing on the Savannah copy. I know what you're thinking. The Savannahs had mediocre page quality. Not this one. It was at least off-white. Pages were very supple. Prior to that, I searched for it in collections all the time. It's not like there were multiple collections of B&B 1-100 in high grade, but I'd see runs from the 45-100 range once in awhile. I say #45 because the cat had been out of the bag for awhile on the B&B #42-44 Kubert Hawkman run for awhile by this point in the late 80s and early 90s. But the rest of the run was not particularly coveted except maybe the #54. Anyway, I'd be looking through multiple copies and this is how it would invariably go as I was sifting through the B&B box at any given convention when a dealer landed on a nice new collection of silver age DCs.

#45 NM- check

#46 VF+ check

#47 VF check

#48 NM check

#49 VF+ check

#50 VF check

#51 NM- check

#53 (cue stylus needle scraping away from the vinyl sound) check

#54 VF check

#55 NM check

There was NEVER a #52 in grade. Most of the time, it was just plain absent. The couple times it WAS there, it was the only one in the run that was a VG or had some technical problem that the other didn't have. A popped staple. A spine split. Something catastrophic. 

NEVER a B&B #52

This went on for nearly a decade. 
Finally that Savannah copy came along (Greenhaulgh?) and it's been in my collection ever since. I've seen a couple nice high grade issues here and there over the ensuing 25 years, but not quite upgrades to the Savannah. But I would have been on those like flies on $#*t if I didn't have this copy. Nobody else seemed to have quite the urgency of getting a nice copy of that. Often times, I'd see those couple high grade copies just sit and sit and sit. Nobody'd buy 'em. Haven't seen a high grade one for sale in awhile now, but the census is compatible with my experience, too. Only a single 9.2 copy as highest on the census. 4 in 9.0. 3 in 8.5 and 11 in 8.0. 

That issue, by the way, is an ALL Kubert issue with Sgt. Rock. There were very few of those in the OAAW run with the whole comic devoted to Sgt. Rock alone (with no backup story). It is the second meeting of Sgt. Rock and Mademoiselle Marie (the first is OAAW #115). It's also the first time all the major DC war characters teamed up. . .Sgt. Rock, Haunted Tank, Mademoiselle Marie, Johnny Cloud. It's just a fantastic comic all around. 
If you don't have a copy, I strongly recommend you put it on your list.

bb52c.jpg

bb52ia.jpg

bb52ib.jpg

bb52ic.jpg

As a person who does not collect war books, I wasn’t looking for this issue with anymore urgency than the issues around it, but I did find it elusive in nicer shape. I ended up with the Twin Cities 8.0. If I ever had a chance to go for a 9.0 or better I would definitely be a bidder. 

On 3/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, comick1 said:

Brave and the Bold #52 in high grade was an early grail of mine for many years. I searched about 10 years before landing on the Savannah copy. I know what you're thinking. The Savannahs had mediocre page quality. Not this one. It was at least off-white. Pages were very supple. Prior to that, I searched for it in collections all the time. It's not like there were multiple collections of B&B 1-100 in high grade, but I'd see runs from the 45-100 range once in awhile. I say #45 because the cat had been out of the bag for awhile on the B&B #42-44 Kubert Hawkman run for awhile by this point in the late 80s and early 90s. But the rest of the run was not particularly coveted except maybe the #54. Anyway, I'd be looking through multiple copies and this is how it would invariably go as I was sifting through the B&B box at any given convention when a dealer landed on a nice new collection of silver age DCs.

#45 NM- check

#46 VF+ check

#47 VF check

#48 NM check

#49 VF+ check

#50 VF check

#51 NM- check

#53 (cue stylus needle scraping away from the vinyl sound) check

#54 VF check

#55 NM check

There was NEVER a #52 in grade. Most of the time, it was just plain absent. The couple times it WAS there, it was the only one in the run that was a VG or had some technical problem that the other didn't have. A popped staple. A spine split. Something catastrophic. 

NEVER a B&B #52

This went on for nearly a decade. 
Finally that Savannah copy came along (Greenhaulgh?) and it's been in my collection ever since. I've seen a couple nice high grade issues here and there over the ensuing 25 years, but not quite upgrades to the Savannah. But I would have been on those like flies on $#*t if I didn't have this copy. Nobody else seemed to have quite the urgency of getting a nice copy of that. Often times, I'd see those couple high grade copies just sit and sit and sit. Nobody'd buy 'em. Haven't seen a high grade one for sale in awhile now, but the census is compatible with my experience, too. Only a single 9.2 copy as highest on the census. 4 in 9.0. 3 in 8.5 and 11 in 8.0. 

That issue, by the way, is an ALL Kubert issue with Sgt. Rock. There were very few of those in the OAAW run with the whole comic devoted to Sgt. Rock alone (with no backup story). It is the second meeting of Sgt. Rock and Mademoiselle Marie (the first is OAAW #115). It's also the first time all the major DC war characters teamed up. . .Sgt. Rock, Haunted Tank, Mademoiselle Marie, Johnny Cloud. It's just a fantastic comic all around. 
If you don't have a copy, I strongly recommend you put it on your list.

bb52c.jpg

bb52ia.jpg

bb52ib.jpg

bb52ic.jpg

The 9.2:

BB52.jpg.80d304d7b9ccd6f465daa3ab11094386.jpg

On 3/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, comick1 said:

Brave and the Bold #52 in high grade was an early grail of mine for many years. I searched about 10 years before landing on the Savannah copy.

Hi Mick! Didn't you also have the Mohawk Valley copy of BB 52 at one point?

See here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/87136-brave-and-the-bold-collecting-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6216888

The only reason I also remember it fondly, I was at the San Diego con when you got it from a collector, who had bought a Mohawk run at Sotheby's, and it was like the soldiers raising the flag on Iwo Jima in victory!

On 4/4/2023 at 1:09 PM, DanCooper said:

Hi Mick! Didn't you also have the Mohawk Valley copy of BB 52 at one point?

See here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/87136-brave-and-the-bold-collecting-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6216888

The only reason I also remember it fondly, I was at the San Diego con when you got it from a collector, who had bought a Mohawk run at Sotheby's, and it was like the soldiers raising the flag on Iwo Jima in victory!

I stand corrected.
Apologies for the confusion. Everything I said was correct except I misattributed the pedigree. It really WAS from the Mohawk Valley Collection. Sorry about that. I haven't owned any other copy that was even close to this one in grade (outside of a G/VG reader).
I am recalling that it came from Dan Greenhaulgh (not sure if that's how to spell his name). I suppose he could have been a collector, but to me, he was primarily a vendor. Is that who you're referring to? 

On 4/5/2023 at 12:28 AM, comick1 said:

I stand corrected.
Apologies for the confusion. Everything I said was correct except I misattributed the pedigree. It really WAS from the Mohawk Valley Collection. Sorry about that. I haven't owned any other copy that was even close to this one in grade (outside of a G/VG reader).
I am recalling that it came from Dan Greenhaulgh (not sure if that's how to spell his name). I suppose he could have been a collector, but to me, he was primarily a vendor. Is that who you're referring to? 

HA! That's OK Mick. A high grade collector like yourself, who has been involved with many pedigree collections over time, may lose track of which pedigree copy is which!

The collector was Fred K. from California. Fred bought the Mohawk Valley lot from Sotheby's that had an unusual combination of a high grade Adventure 247 (I believe it eventually graded out to a CGC 9.2 years later) along with a run of Brave & Bolds from around issues 37-62. Fred was only interested in keeping the Adventure 247 and sold the Brave & Bolds at that San Diego Comic Con. Nice guy Fred, who was buying a bunch of high end Silver Age at high prices back then. Like many, did not stay long and left the hobby.

Probably the reason you are remembering Big Dan Greenhalgh of Showcase New England fame, is because I believe it was at that same San Diego Con that Dan intentionally tore in half a high grade copy of The Shadow #1 (DC one - 70s Kaluta) in front of you after you were discussing it with him! :whatthe:

Ahhh, the characters and collections we have met over time, in this hobby of ours!

Edited by DanCooper

On 4/4/2023 at 8:31 AM, RickHigh said:

HI all.

In the process of re-bagging some of my books and thought I would take a quick photo while they were out.

I am working on my B&B 1-24 collection and so far have 17 of the 24. Always loved these pre-hero books and only have seven more to complete the run. I still have some really HTF issues left to go, but hopefully will be able to complete this set at some point.

Here is what I have so far.

IMG_8981.jpeg

That is a really solid group there! Nice!

On 4/5/2023 at 4:50 AM, DanCooper said:

HA! That's OK Mick. A high grade collector like yourself, who has been involved with many pedigree collections over time, may lose track of which pedigree copy is which!

The collector was Fred K. from California. Fred bought the Mohawk Valley lot from Sotheby's that had an unusual combination of a high grade Adventure 247 (I believe it eventually graded out to a CGC 9.2 years later) along with a run of Brave & Bolds from around issues 37-62. Fred was only interested in keeping the Adventure 247 and sold the Brave & Bolds at that San Diego Comic Con. Nice guy Fred, who was buying a bunch of high end Silver Age at high prices back then. Like many, did not stay long and left the hobby.

Probably the reason you are remembering Big Dan Greenhalgh of Showcase New England fame, is because I believe it was at that same San Diego Con that Dan intentionally tore in half a high grade copy of The Shadow #1 (DC one - 70s Kaluta) in front of you after you were discussing it with him! :whatthe:

Ahhh, the characters and collections we have met over time, in this hobby of ours!

Yes, I recall you standing next to me. It wasn't that same interaction. But at the very least, that B&B 52 traded hands at Dan's booth. . .and I wanna say you or Naiman brought it to my attention there at Dan's booth. I don't recall Fred. If Dan wasn't the owner of the B&B #52, he was the one I handed the $ to. If Fred was there, he wasn't the one that I handed the money to.
Just to be clear. That was NOT a Shadow #1. It was a low-number copy. . .maybe #3 or #4. Easily a NM 9.4 copy. I had a $6 price on it at the time. He was sifting through some of my comics that I'd brought to try and flip (to pay for some of my purchases as we collectors often do) and the three of us were all just shooting the breeze. So, for a laugh, Dan pulled it out of the bag and just tore it in half while the three of us were casually talking. Note that he didn't pull my Our Army at War #151 dupe in VF+ that I had priced at $350. He pulled out a common comic.
I recall being a bit sick about it. It didn't land on me all that well and I still look back on it as a stupid thing. He did it for a laugh and immediately handed me the $6.00. I can imagine a person who might do that for shock value, but it was a perfectly good comic. If he wanted to look cool, he might've given me the $6.00 and then told me to pass it to one of the many many students from low-income families that I have taught over the years. It would have gone to a good home. Instead, it was a cheap laugh. I have a sense of humor, but I won't lie. . .I don't think it was cool. I'm definitely not perfect. I've done bone-headed things in my lifetime. 
If I'd done THAT to anybody, I would have regretted treating anybody that way. It might not have occurred to me immediately. But, in time, I would have come to regret that as an asinine thing to do. All of my interactions with Dan over the years were positive except that one, so I'd like to imagine that he just had a moment of bone-headed grandeur.  Whenever I see any copies of that run, I think of the kids in my classes over the years who would love to have read those. I still work with all kinds of kids all across SD Unified who would be thrilled to read comics of any variety and are super appreciative to be able to take comics home. There are former students. . .now in their 30s who reach out to me to let me know that they still love The Beatles and read comics to this day (and do I still have that Rube Goldberg contraption in my class for flicking the light on and off?). Comics are life-changing, transformative items. In that context, tearing even a piece of garbage comic in half. . .nope.