• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

375 posts in this topic

Ha, yeah, that one was the high-fetcher in a recent Heritage Auction in not as nice shape, though I don't recall how much (I tend to do that with pulps that are out of my league).  Iconic.

I don't know, I think Weird Tales is still highly collectible.  It's unique *cough* in that people have been saving/hunting/collecting them for a long time in a way that no other pulp title has been collected (the SF pulps might be the exception), and there's likely a lot of copies around even if they are most cherished pulps.  The early issues may be a different matter, though, as they are both scarce and expensive.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, Bugfarm said:

Incoming issues…Sept. 1923, Feb. 1924 & May

1925.  Not the greatest condition, but solid placeholders for very tough issues.  This puts me one issue away from a full run thru the latest iteration of the magazine.😵‍💫

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

Jeez, I hope I look that good when I'm 100.

Now that 2024 is here, it's time to start thinking about this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 5-7, 2024 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL). All 180 dealer tables have sold out. As usual, we'll have some great auctions Friday and Saturday nights. Here's one of the highlights that will be in the Friday night auction session at this year's convention -- Weird Tales December 1932, featuring the first appearance of Conan.

Weird Tales 1932 12.jpg

Weird Tales 1932 12 spine.jpg

On 1/4/2024 at 2:59 PM, Pulpvault said:

Now that 2024 is here, it's time to start thinking about this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 5-7, 2024 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL). All 180 dealer tables have sold out. As usual, we'll have some great auctions Friday and Saturday nights. Here's one of the highlights that will be in the Friday night auction session at this year's convention -- Weird Tales December 1932, featuring the first appearance of Conan.

Weird Tales 1932 12.jpg

Weird Tales 1932 12 spine.jpg

That's a heck of a nice copy Doug!

I have a question regarding Weird Tales spine color.   I have seen now several examples of issues (the ones I saw were in the mid-1930's) where some copies have a red spine and others have a yellow one.   They appear to be identical in all other ways.   Does anyone know what the story is behnd this and if it has any impact on the rarity / value of the issue?   Thanks

On 1/7/2024 at 12:33 PM, TinkerPDX said:

I have a question regarding Weird Tales spine color.   I have seen now several examples of issues (the ones I saw were in the mid-1930's) where some copies have a red spine and others have a yellow one.   They appear to be identical in all other ways.   Does anyone know what the story is behnd this and if it has any impact on the rarity / value of the issue?   Thanks

One thing to be aware of, is sun fading. Many folks used to store pulps, especially ones with factory trims, upright in a book shelf. Some of these were in rooms with sunlight exposure. Sunlight can turn a red spine to yellow or orange over time. Gloss can also be affected. It can be so dramatic that it will look like two different versions if a faded and a pristine example of the same issue are side by side. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12