• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

375 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, lpsunburst said:

I know we have been giving a lot of love to the early issues of WT but later ones still have cool covers, here is the famous Kelly Freas cover for November 1950.

WT 1950.11.jpeg

Absofrickinlutely.  I adore Brundage, Finlay, and St. John, but the late era covers have a great feel, too.  Freas has some great ones, Coye is a favorite, and that Tilburne RobotMan just posted is amazing.  Additionally, you aren't gonna break the bank picking these up and can read some great fiction without the kids' gloves.

I don't know what flea markets you people go to, but they are far better than mine :D

Visited a friend last week who is an avid Weird Tales Collector with a second common friend to catch up on things and view his collection. Was served a great spaghetti dinner and was allowed to handle the Mags! Here are some shots of a few mid-30's highlights. These were formerly Frank Robinson's under copies and are very nice indeed. Better than the pictures show. He also had a number of the 'bed sheet' issues and many from the 1920's. It was fascinating to see the evolution of WT through the years through actual copies spread out in front of you. I had not seen many of the bed sheet issues before. Definitely the Brundage era covers are the best, though there are outstanding covers from all eras. WT is something I was interested in collecting, back in the day, but never quite managed to grab more than a couple of copies and now that ship has sailed!

Enjoy!

image.jpeg.b5efa1ec13a8bd306499bd7bccd9e88e.jpeg