• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

374 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 8:05 PM, Hibou said:

In terms of the 1938 issues of Weird Tales, is there one issue that's more coveted or rare among WT collectors?

The June 1938 cover by Brundage for Suicide Chapel is definitely higher demand than other 1938 issues.  And the covers for Jan and Aug would be 2nd and 3rd.

As for story content, the overall quality is pretty good, but nothing really jumps out as a key.  There are lots of Lovecraft and Howard pieces, mostly reprints, and some good CA Smith, Wellman, and Bloch contributions.  

I don't think any 1938 is more rare than another.  It's really just those three covers I mentioned that have stronger demand.

On 5/14/2023 at 11:09 PM, Hibou said:

I recently had an opportunity to grab this issue but passed.  That's a great looking copy! 

First Conan cover?

Thanks! Actually the 5/34 issue is the first Conan cover, another Brundage classic.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:59 AM, lpsunburst said:

Thanks! Actually the 5/34 issue is the first Conan cover, another Brundage classic.

I see, thanks. I didn't know about that one.

I remember reading an old interview with Margaret where she talked about having trouble drawing hands with the pastels so in lots of the art the hands are rarely shown open or in full view. I think she was exceptionally clever in this regard.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:12 PM, lpsunburst said:

I will probably get around to upgrading this one at some point but its one I dont see very often.

img416.jpg

I maintain this is an underrated issue... It's the ONLY Weird Tales with a new Howard story, a new Lovecraft story, and a Brundage cover.  Every other one with all three names in the credits is either a poem by one or the other authors, or a reprint from somewhere (normally an amateur magazine in Lovecraft's case.)

Then, as a bonus, you have a second Lovecraft story (a revision with Hazel Heald) and Ubbo-Sathla by Smith.   That makes it the only 30's magazine with three Mythos stories.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:12 PM, lpsunburst said:

I will probably get around to upgrading this one at some point but its one I dont see very often.

img416.jpg

Still very glossy‼️👍💕