• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Katrina

227 posts in this topic

It sounds like the government is just a huge behometh that takes time to get up and running....all the communication issues between local and federal government, relief bottlenecks, rescuing people vs bringing in supplies, protecting people from shooters, etc.

Guess I'm not surprised that its taken four or five days to get things going and for them to finally get some decent help. I know living in So California my whole life and always hearing about being prepared for the BIG EARTHQUAKE that's bound to hit us one day, they always say have enough water/food/etc. for at least a week because basically it's going to take at least that long before anyone gets out to help you and you are basically screwed until then....

A very sad situation! I hear ya! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Jeff, you got that right, we should look inside ourselves . I would Hope that most of us are Better then that as Human Beings.I just find this truly Sad,& I'm Disturbed by it!! It goes to show even with Modern Technology, Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Etc. Man's nature has never changed one damn iota.

No offense, but this is total bull. We are not animals, nor are we governed by "instincts" or "nature". I would be willing to wager that every piece of shiiit commiting these disgusting acts of vandilism, thievery(NOT including those stealing food), and violence chose to stay behind inorder to capitalize on this situation. Why is it that during times of tradgedy, we see extreme acts of greed as well as extreme acts of bravery? It's a choice, and each man should be held accountable for that choice.

I don't think puny was making excuses for the crimes being committed in NO, merely bemoaning the fact that some of us make the worst choices in that kind of situation.

PS: They were told to evacuate, but were provided NO means of doing so.

gossip.gifI guess we should have told them to rape, kill, and beat up their neighbors too. We should have also told them to shoot at helicopters that were trying to help as well.

If that's your agenda, you must feel right at home.

Go get yourself some "professional-help!" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You need to take a lesson in understanding irony. foreheadslap.gif

Oh man, was Mike sweating it a bit there?. I heard somebody say and I'm quoting here everbody" Black people loot, white people take food for their families." Nobody knows how they would behave under the type of incredible stress those survivors are under. No food, no water for days. The shock, the death, the heat, the fear, the lack of hope. Anybody watch the McLaughlin group tonight? Pretty harsh assesment of the president even from conservatives on the panel for not going back to the whitehouse until two days after this all went down and for not dropping the 82nd airborne in the first day after.

So that's where that quote about looting came from. Man , he was in anguish too. I mean what he said was harsh, but it came from a passionate place. I feel for Mike Myers though. Tough spot to be in. Not as tough as some of those attics and rooftops on NO.

gossip.gifI guess we should have told them to rape, kill, and beat up their neighbors too. We should have also told them to shoot at helicopters that were trying to help as well.

Every post I've seen from you shows no "Irony" that I can see. You seem to have an agenda of hate-mongering, IMHO.

Go soak your head in an un-flushed toilet, please! Then maybe 893crossfingers-thumb.gif you'll have some idea of what these people in New Orleans have experienced over the last 3-4 days!

....if nothing else, you'll come out smelling better than you come across here! makepoint.gif

Man, you are good at finding this and giving us access! Great job! There's been a lot knee jerk reaction to the whole issue of "looting". I know damn well I'm going to break in a store to get food and water for me and my family. People are dying there and a lot of white people on TV are going hysterical over a few shots of black people stealing televisions.

you know, this 'looting' vs ' finding' is such an ingrained bias that the writers just have no clue as to how they have chosen their words. If anything good comes out of this mess, perhaps the media etc will now be aware of this bias and take steps to rid the airwaves and print of it once and for all.

Its always been there... and in ways that are shocking to look back on. For instance, in the 40s, in Time Magazine, they had a profile of Joe Dimaggio in which they said such "innocent" lines as "Joe, like most of the Italian people, is lazy and {I forget the other adjective they used}" It was said sp matter of facttly, from way up high, where the "right people" can comment on all their inferiors in any way they choose. How could it be 'offensive' (they must have thought) since we all KNOW its true, right?

same thing here. enough already. Go ahead and think what you want ( we are all infected with racial bias to varying degrees) BUT keep it out of public and professional discourse. Maybe in a few generations it will go away entirely. maybe.

Man, you are good at finding this and giving us access! Great job! There's been a lot knee jerk reaction to the whole issue of "looting". I know damn well I'm going to break in a store to get food and water for me and my family. People are dying there and a lot of white people on TV are going hysterical over a few shots of black people stealing televisions.

even having just said my piece, there IS a big difference between taking bread and water and food, and looting jewelry and appliance stores. Unless you plan to sell them for food maybe...

OK, here's a shot of the chaos before the storm

920573-3237544ky.jpg

I remember seeing that shot and STILL dont understand why they didnt use another 2 lanes for exiting car traffic!! I mean, sure looks like only a trickle of cars were going the other way, huh?

Every post I've seen from you shows no "Irony" that I can see. You seem to have an agenda of hate-mongering, IMHO.

Go soak your head in an un-flushed toilet, please! Then maybe 893crossfingers-thumb.gif you'll have some idea of what these people in New Orleans have experienced over the last 3-4 days!

....if nothing else, you'll come out smelling better than you come across here! makepoint.gif

I do hate people who rape, kill, and beat up their fellow citizens in need, not to mention shoot at the very people who are trying to help. My statements are regarded for those people, not all the ones who really need help. You also have not read all my posts or you would see that. If you cannot understand that, the problem is yours, not mine

920573-3237544ky.jpg

I remember seeing that shot and STILL dont understand why they didnt use another 2 lanes for exiting car traffic!! I mean, sure looks like only a trickle of cars were going the other way, huh?

Reminds me of Independence Day.

920573-3237544ky.jpg

Seems like local planning should have anticipated that since NO does have over 1 million residents.

Some states have planned for that. During Ivan and Dennis, the AL gov turned I-65 into a 4 lane North bound evacuation route.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DN

920573-3237544ky.jpg

Seems like local planning should have anticipated that since NO does have over 1 million residents.

Some states have planned for that. During Ivan and Dennis, the AL gov turned I-65 into a 4 lane North bound.

Concept: An idea or thought.

Don't stay in a city when a mandatory evacuation has been ordered with the hopes of looting becasue everybody is gone.-Unrulyappendage

....and most of the people who stayed behind did so because they can't afford a car, much less the gas to drive one. Most of those people earn less than $ 13,000.00 per year! Below poverty level!!!! makepoint.gif

....and most of the people who stayed behind did so because they can't afford a car, much less the gas to drive one. Most of those people earn less than $ 13,000.00 per year! Below poverty level!!!!

And here's the local buses that could have been used.

920544-capt.flpc21109012015.hurricane_katrina_flpc211-1.jpg