• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Katrina

227 posts in this topic

If these devistating hurricanes continue, then someone has to acknowledge that global warming is one of the causes. I surely hope this is a bad cycle we're in and not a trend. I can't imagine these storms occurring over and over again. frown.gif

just think how many HG comics were destroyed in the 90,000 square miles of disaster? 893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

That is trivial compared to the LIVES that have been lost!

Comic books can be replaced.

Actually Krazy Kat said something similiar about Original Art. And unlike supa, I believe KK meant it.

Very sad.

Yeah, but we ALL know he's screwy.gif !!! makepoint.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry if I took it wrong, Supa,....it's just a frustrating situation! flowerred.gifhi.gif

I live on a peninsula, maybe 80 yards from the ocean, and 50 yards from the harbor. There's only one road off the peninsula, so if there's ever a disaster, that road is going to be a parking lot awful quick.

893whatthe.gif Get those poor Nedors out of there!!!

If these devistating hurricanes continue, then someone has to acknowledge that global warming is one of the causes. I surely hope this is a bad cycle we're in and not a trend. I can't imagine these storms occurring over and over again. frown.gif

No we don't have to acknowledge global warming.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=%5CNation%5Carchive%5C200409%5CNAT20040915c.html

(CNSNews.com) - The recent onslaught of hurricanes has prompted some media outlets to mention "global warming" as a possible cause, but a team of climate researchers set the record straight.

A group of climatologists, scientists, professors and other experts in climate change on Tuesday pointed out two "misconceptions" reported in the press about hurricanes and their relation to climate change, in a letter to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who chaired a Commerce Committee hearing examining recent scientific research concerning climate change impacts.

"First is the erroneous claim that hurricane intensity or frequency has risen significantly in recent decades in response to the warming trend seen in surface temperature. Second is the claim that a future surface warming trend would lead to more frequent and stronger storms. We believe that both of these are demonstrably false," the scientists wrote.

They noted the National Hurricane Center reports in the last century the decade with the largest number of hurricanes to hit the U.S. was the 1940s, and the frequency of hurricanes has gone down since then.

According to the United Nations Environment Programme of the World Meteorological Organization, "Reliable data ... since the 1940s indicate that the peak strength of the strongest hurricanes has not changed, and the mean maximum intensity of all hurricanes has decreased."

"Recent history tells us that hurricanes are not becoming more frequent," the climate researchers wrote in the letter to McCain.

The second claim in news stories about hurricanes and "global warming," they pointed out, involves the question "if surface warming trends continue, are more or fewer severe storms likely?"

"Computer simulations suggest that in a warmer world most of the warming would occur in the Polar Regions. Atmospheric circulation, which crucially affects storms, is driven primarily by the temperature difference, or gradient, between the tropics and the poles," the experts wrote.

"Warmer polar regions would reduce this gradient and thus lessen the overall intensity or frequency or both of storms - not just tropical storms but mid-latitude winter storms as well (such as blizzards and northeasters)," the climatologists added.

My thoughts on the matter:

Don't rely on government help. It is a mass of tangled tape and is slow to respond. However, you can immediately help yourself and others around you.

Don't live in a city that's below sea level and surrounded by water. If you do, don't be suprised when it floods and be prepared for it.

Don't stay in a city when a mandatory evacuation has been ordered with the hopes of looting becasue everybody is gone.

Don't rape, kill, or beat up your suffering neighbor. Help them. If you have the energy for rape, killing, and beating, you have enough energy to get people out. You probably had enough energy to get yourself and several others out to begin with.

Don't stay in a city when a mandatory evacuation has been ordered with the hopes of looting becasue everybody is gone.

Don't rape, kill, or beat up your suffering neighbor. Help them. If you have the energy for rape, killing, and beating, you have enough energy to get people out. You probably had enough energy to get yourself and several others out to begin with.

This is from 1 to 2% of the population stranded in New Orleans. 30% of the whole population of New Orleans lives BELOW the poverty level (many of these survive on an annual earning of less than $13,000.00 a year). Many of these people don't own a car. Many of the survivor's currently are without shoes!

STFU !!! makepoint.gif

I live on a peninsula, maybe 80 yards from the ocean, and 50 yards from the harbor. There's only one road off the peninsula, so if there's ever a disaster, that road is going to be a parking lot awful quick.

Don't you worry about a thing. The good stuff is not at the house.

Don't you worry about a thing. The good stuff is not at the house.

thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif Then where is it? poke2.gif

Jeff, you got that right, we should look inside ourselves . I would Hope that most of us are Better then that as Human Beings.I just find this truly Sad,& I'm Disturbed by it!! It goes to show even with Modern Technology, Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Etc. Man's nature has never changed one damn iota.

No offense, but this is total bull. We are not animals, nor are we governed by "instincts" or "nature". I would be willing to wager that every piece of shiiit commiting these disgusting acts of vandilism, thievery(NOT including those stealing food), and violence chose to stay behind inorder to capitalize on this situation. Why is it that during times of tradgedy, we see extreme acts of greed as well as extreme acts of bravery? It's a choice, and each man should be held accountable for that choice.

PS: They were told to evacuate, but were provided NO means of doing so.

No money for gas, no car, but tons of empty crack vials litering the stadium floor. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It sounds like the government is just a huge behometh that takes time to get up and running....all the communication issues between local and federal government, relief bottlenecks, rescuing people vs bringing in supplies, protecting people from shooters, etc.

Guess I'm not surprised that its taken four or five days to get things going and for them to finally get some decent help. I know living in So California my whole life and always hearing about being prepared for the BIG EARTHQUAKE that's bound to hit us one day, they always say have enough water/food/etc. for at least a week because basically it's going to take at least that long before anyone gets out to help you and you are basically screwed until then....

PS: They were told to evacuate, but were provided NO means of doing so.

gossip.gifI guess we should have told them to rape, kill, and beat up their neighbors too. We should have also told them to shoot at helicopters that were trying to help as well.

If that's your agenda, you must feel right at home.

Go get yourself some "professional-help!" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

CoI,.......1-2% of the population were responsible for these deeds.

It's hot, there's no food, water, shelter. Many of these poor people are stranded & see no help for days,....... confused-smiley-013.gif

That's all I've got to say.