• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, valiantman said:

Agreed.  Over a year and twenty pages later, I'm becoming a little petulant.  However, I've thought about this concept for twenty years, and I'm bombarded with kneejerk reactions from people who thought about the concept for twenty seconds.

Yes, this is the GA forum, but this is my topic.  Those who just want to come into my topic and tell me how I'm wrong would probably be quite upset if I showed up in the "Show Off Your Westerns" and pointed out how no one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore.  I'd be exaggerating, I'd be wrong, and I'd be doing it in their topic.  That would be ridiculous.

That's what I see here.

In this thread I related stories of two different occasions where I was involved in talks to start hedge funds and/or investment vehicles specifically derived from collectibles. I have been a comics dealer for over forty years. I have thought a lot about comic investment and the many different possibilities. Possibly more than you, but certainly as much. You asked for opinions in "your topic" and among many others I was happy to give mine. Now you lump that opinion in with all of the other feedback and call it, and us, thoughtless and a knee-jerk reaction. Thanks brah.

Love your golden age books, but when you act like a doofus they don't give you any street cred.

Since WE - that is you and I - talked for an hour on the phone about this concept over a year ago, there's no way you can reasonably assume I lump you into the group who have only thought about it for twenty seconds.  

Yes, this is the GA forum, but this is my topic.  Those who just want to come into my topic and tell me how I'm wrong would probably be quite upset if I showed up in the "Show Off Your Westerns" and pointed out how no one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore.  I'd be exaggerating, I'd be wrong, and I'd be doing it in their topic.  That would be ridiculous.

Your analogy is flawed.  A better one would be if you posted "I Think Westerns Are Great and Will Pop in Value, What About You?".  Then when someone posts "I disagree. No one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore."  They would not be wrong per se and it wouldn't be off topic.  It would be an opinion and probably one people would debate.  If the OP in that thread then said, "You guys who don't agree that westerns will pop are all simpletons and don't understand the collecting market" that would be more analogous.  

On 9/1/2021 at 12:34 PM, Transplant said:

Your analogy is flawed.  A better one would be if you posted "I Think Westerns Are Great and Will Pop in Value, What About You?".  Then when someone posts "I disagree. No one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore."  They would not be wrong per se and it wouldn't be off topic.  It would be an opinion and probably one people would debate.  If the OP in that thread then said, "You guys who don't agree that westerns will pop are all simpletons and don't understand the collecting market" that would be more analogous.  

I see nowhere that I asked that question.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, valiantman said:

Since WE - that is you and I - talked for an hour on the phone about this concept over a year ago, there's no way you can reasonably assume I lump you into the group who have only thought about it for twenty seconds.  

It could be the problem with discussing these things on a chat board. I am sure your posts aren't meant to be condescending and dismissive, but they come off that way.

Just like my comments are meant to be snarky, but folks think I am being nice.

Maybe we should continue to have these conversations over the phone.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:36 PM, valiantman said:

Maybe not explicitly.  Good luck posting any opinion thread anywhere on the boards and limiting replies to only those who agree with you.  Your analogy is more like someone threadcrapping a thread for just showing books.  Mine is about people differing on who would win a fight between Superman and the Hulk.  You're getting mad because you picked the Hulk and most people picked Superman.  

On 9/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, valiantman said:

It could be the problem with discussing these things on a chat board. I am sure your posts aren't meant to be condescending and dismissive, but they come off that way.

They weren't meant to be condescending and snarky a year ago.  They weren't meant to be condescending and snarky when the topic was revived.  They DID become condescending and snarky when a year and twenty pages later, there is a CNBC article about the success of the very concept I promoted - and a significant number of Golden and Silver Age keys have now traded at a premium to their market value in multiple venues, but the reactions in this topic are that I'm still crazy for suggesting the whole thing.

I have a strong suspicion it would not be worth either of our time.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, valiantman said:

If you truly want feedback, honest and unfiltered, it would be. But that really is up to you.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, Transplant said:
On 9/1/2021 at 12:36 PM, valiantman said:

Maybe not explicitly.  Good luck posting any opinion thread anywhere on the boards and limiting replies to only those who agree with you.  Your analogy is more like someone threadcrapping a thread for just showing books.  Mine is about people differing on who would win a fight between Superman and the Hulk.  You're getting mad because you picked the Hulk and most people picked Superman.

Wow.

Just wow.

After hundreds of replies in this thread and my continued expressed desire to own just a tiny fraction of Action Comics #1, you think...

You... *sniff* (not gonna cry) *sniff*

You think....

I would pick Hulk. :cry:

Edited by valiantman

You're emotional about this type of an investment vehicle.  That is never a good sign.

“The investor’s chief problem—and his worst enemy—is likely to be himself. In the end, how your investments behave is much less important than how you behave.”

Samuel Clemens 

Edited by waaaghboss

On 9/1/2021 at 6:40 PM, Transplant said:

Ah, but what if it was Herbie who fought the Hulk? Who would end up with the lolly?

On 9/1/2021 at 12:46 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, valiantman said:

If you truly want feedback, honest and unfiltered, it would be. But that really is up to you.

I'm sure I would receive exactly that... feedback, honest and unfiltered, from someone who disagrees with a concept for a business that I'm not trying to start.

I'll save you some time.  You've convinced me.  I won't build the 24/7 digital exchange for fractional ownership in collectible assets.  I might enjoy it immensely when someone else builds it, but I promise I won't do it myself.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, waaaghboss said:

You're emotional about this type of an investment vehicle.  That is never a good sign.

“The investor’s chief problem—and his worst enemy—is likely to be himself. In the end, how your investments behave is much less important than how you behave.”

Samuel Clemens 

This would be an appropriate quote if I was asking for any of your money.  You would rightly refuse to support my endeavors.  None of this is mine.  I own no part in any company that is building these systems.

I own the concept, obviously not exclusively, since others also are pursuing the business, but I would like to permanently own a fraction of a real Action Comics #1 because I can't permanently own 100% of one.

My investments are in stocks, real estate, a government pension, life insurance, etc.  How I behave when discussing my hobby (with passion) is exactly how everyone should discuss their hobby (with passion). 

Otherwise, why bother?  If I get snarky after a year of public pummeling, please forgive my slight impertinence.

Edited by valiantman