• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams cover gallery thread.
14 14

880 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2023 at 9:35 AM, dover said:

Neal could draw anything but in a professional manner. Wrightson has that feel of actually "being" in the horror mindset; he drew from perspective.

Agree. Wrightson relied more on “instinct” given he was never formally trained and that “rawness” made his overall work on horror the best of that era. Still, the cover to Phantom Stranger 10 captures an atmosphere of horror at the highest level that is rarely seen outside of the magazine format. I’m a Wrightson horror fan and believe he’s the greatest horror genre artist of all time and that includes the precode and later Warren Magazine horror artists like Ingels, Everett, Craig, Davis, Frazetta, Cole (both), Ditko, Elias, Baily, Cameron, Morales, and Heck. That being said, I don’t see a cover drawn by Bernie better than what Adams did with Phantom Strange 10. It’s also Neal’s “Tomahawk 116 of Horror” in terms of covers.

On 7/28/2023 at 8:35 PM, OtherEric said:

Picked up at my LCS today.  There’s some argument if it’s really a Neal cover, even if CGC labels it as such:

image.thumb.jpg.a5fd2660dccd33f1fc192fcfa9734a59.jpg

Cool. Congrats. I’m not aware of any authoritative source saying he did the cover, which looks different from his style as seen in the interiors.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, tedyun said:

After a 30+ yr absence from my comic collection, I am rediscovering some of the books that I really valued when I was collecting as a kid to young adult. I had to give away the majority of my collection a few years ago, but I did keep key issues, runs and comics that were meaningful to me. I am still in the process of moving them piecewise across the country.

I was always a Neal Adams fan back then and now. I was also a big Flash fan when I was a kid, so this is one of my favorite covers. I think it is classic Adams in terms of composition -- seemingly infinite depth and inviting your eye to travel around the cover, from the pointed guns to Flash to the victim then the crowd, then finally to the buildings, traveling back to the guns. I love the colors -- the matching yellow and orange of the sky and the contrasting of the blue buildings and police uniforms. This comic isn't in the best condition -- hey, I was a kid! -- but it is a keeper, and made the cut!

Ted

2023-08-29 - Flash.jpg

The "flash title logo" fits it well too :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM