• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams cover gallery thread.
14 14

880 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, sagii said:

Superman #317.jpeg

That's always been a striking cover too, congrats! Mentioned from another thread about cover attraction so I'll expound imo here too.

It always gets to me how that cover color looks like it should make you squeamish or pale, but you can still feel the strength in the words that a "superman would command!" LOL

It almost feels like who superman is talking to would get their come uppence before the actual man of steel would, and there in lies the wonder of kryptonite and the will he or won't he have the effects. The colors and streaked out lines have great draw to affect a buyer and reader. I miss that style from the newsstand, but that it's not a lost art, just I grew up with Newsstands and "am still" getting used to buying at the lcs. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/4/2023 at 9:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's always been a striking cover too, congrats! Mentioned from another thread about cover attraction so I'll expound imo here too.

It always gets to me how that cover color looks like it should make you squeamish or pale, but you can still feel the strength in the words that a "superman would command!" LOL

It almost feels like who superman is talking to would get their come uppence before the actual man of steel would, and there in lies the wonder of kryptonite and the will he or won't he have the effects. The colors and streaked out lines have great draw to affect a buyer and reader. I miss that style from the newsstand, but that it's not a lost art, just I grew up with Newsstands and "am still" getting used to buying at the lcs. 

Agree with everything you said here. Can remember seeing this one as a kid on the newsstand as well and thinking "Oh no, Superman is dying!?!?!"

One of Adams best overall imho, even in comparison to his Batman covers. Certainly my favorite Superman cover he did. 

On 6/9/2023 at 8:02 PM, bronze johnny said:

I’ve always said Wrightson was the greatest Bronze Age horror artist but Neal happens to have drawn the best horror cover from that era. This is it.

Neal could draw anything but in a professional manner. Wrightson has that feel of actually "being" in the horror mindset; he drew from perspective.