• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

Further: 

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/124285816256?item=124285816256&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565  

This 314 feedback buyer? I think that if some of these other books shuffled so carefully on the table in order to obscure labels can also be located in past net sales, there will be a 314 feedback (or close to 314) ebay member as the buyer! 

11 minutes ago, wombat said:

I can't say I have any sympathy for anyone would buy this. More money than sense. 

AS-IS. No returns. No local pickup for an assemblage of this size.   Those three red flags are the checkmate of flim-flammery.  

And it isn't that he didn't do al a lot of planning to put this scheme together. He started at least a month ago assembling it. It's just that he's so bumbling as to why the intent is so transparent. So many inconsistencies. So many loose ends and tells and even a trail!!!  If he had a job and lost it, I feel bad for him. But if this is his new chosen profession, it's a horrible choice given as to how poorly this is being implemented (I know you're reading this. Not too late to change course, Floppy B). 

Edited by James J Johnson

11 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Same question. Are you implying that it is someone from the board?

No. 

To be clear, I certainly don't know all the members, each and every one that has ever signed up and have posted, or not posted. It may very well be a forum member, that is possible. But I have no reason to believe that it's any member among the immediate circle of a few hundred members who routinely post on a regular basis. There's nothing I've seen to make me believe it's a certain forum member and I'm not inferring that.

Typically, as we have seen before, sellers of these type of questionable listings do watch the internet to see who's on to them, this forum among the watched. That's all I was inferring. 

The possible shill-bidding account. 30 day summary, 5 bids, all with Floppy:

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=193648102906&bidtid=1771190193009&_trksid=p2471758.m4792 

That bidder has been very careful never to take the lead. Just bidding enough to push up the high bidder without overtaking him.  hm

13 minutes ago, Comicshows said:

Page 5 has a single post from new member HitmanReborn. One post only and this is the thread he chose. Things that make you go hmmmm. 

"Is the fact that there’s so much more with this not even worth the current price"  

:facepalm:  

I would consider myself a genius, if this were not all so damned predictable. 

10 minutes ago, Comicshows said:

Page 5 has a single post from new member HitmanReborn. One post only and this is the thread he chose. Things that make you go hmmmm. 

Yes, that post was suspicious for a number of reasons.

35 minutes ago, Getyourcomicshere said:

Icing on the cake is NO LOCAL PICKUP.  So you mean to tell me if I live 3 blocks away I would have to pay 800 for freight shipping.  I call bull on this snake.

Yes. No local pickup is part of the scam trifecta. 1) AS-IS 2) No returns/refunds 3) no local pickup 

And he's even got a variation of the obligatory time tested "Grandpa's old army trunk" provenance scam motif worked into the listing, this time an "inheritance". 

On 9/7/2020 at 3:23 PM, HitmanReborn said:

Hey everyone, names Niel just wanted to ask a question, I just joined and saw this, and wanted to just ask is the only thing everyone’s worried about the hulk 1-6? Is the fact that there’s so much more with this not even worth the current price, one member just said, +9k. Just asking not trying to rock the boat. 

welcome.gif

9 minutes ago, Getyourcomicshere said:

Icing on the cake is NO LOCAL PICKUP.  So you mean to tell me if I live 3 blocks away I would have to pay 800 for freight shipping.  I call bull on this snake.

What he didn't plan for is getting paid. Without any track record of $10K+ paypal transactions, a $10K+ payment is going to spike his account and trigger a 21 day hold on the funds. Further, with very few sales at all, a $10K+ payment may freeze the funds from the transaction until the seller confirms receipt of the merchandise and is satisfied. Most of us don't deal in $10K territory transactions, but unless you have a solid track record of them, if you're a $10 to $1000 guy, a $10K transaction makes a blip on their radar like a lightning bolt. Floppy B is not going to fly under the radar with this. If he thinks there's smooth sailing and a calm breeze at the end of this voyage, he's in for a rude awakening when the squall hits from out of nowhere when his Love Boat turns into the Flying Dutchman right from under him!