• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Ever CGC Submission Results, Lessons Learned & Advice Needed...
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Why the heck is it dividing my post up into tiny pages???

Edit: Ah, figured it out. Didn't realize that the page lines actually created a page break divider, so I got rid of the page divider lines.

Edited by Rick Rizun

1 hour ago, Rick Rizun said:

Hi, everyone! As the thread title implies, I just received the results of my first ever CGC submission!

Just for background, I collected comics during the early to mid 80's and had to quit due to high cost and to concentrate on school and university. I recently retired and finally got back into collecting within the past 2 years. Recently discovered the awesomeness of slabbed comics and decided to try my hand at it.

Okay, just received the results today, but have not received the physical slabs yet as they are still in the mail:

Star Wars 68 2/83 Marvel Comics 7.5 WHITE

Star Wars 42 12/80 Marvel Comics 9.4 WHITE

Star Wars 42 12/80 Marvel Comics 9.0 WHITE

G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero 1 6/82 Marvel Comics 9.6 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 252 5/84 Marvel Comics 9.8 WHITE

Wolverine Limited Series 1 9/82 Marvel Comics 9.8 WHITE

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 12/84 Marvel Comics Canadian Price Variant 9.0 WHITE

Marvel Age 12 3/84 Marvel Comics 9.8 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Spectacular Spider-Man 64 3/82 Marvel Comics 9.6 WHITE

Spoiler

Before I begin, I will say that I purposefully submitted comics that I thought were in excellent condition with the full intention of receiving grades in the 9.4 - 9.8 range for all of them. I thought that they were in good enough condition to receive high grades without the need for pressing and cleaning (which was not done on these 9 issues).

Needless to say, I was VERY happy with the three 9.8's, especially the Wolverine 1 and ASM 252. The head-scratchers for me were my two copies of Star Wars 42. I believed them both to be in fantastic condition, figuring that at least one of them would be a 9.8. The grader's notes were as follows:

Star Wars 42 - 9.4 - very light finger bends on cover, very light spine stress lines to cover

Star Wars 42 - 9.0 - very light creasing to cover

I was also surprised at the grading for Secret Wars 8 and the 7.5 grading for Star Wars 68 was an absolute gut punch I have to say because it seemed fine to me when I submitted it. Here are the grader's notes for those two issues:

Secret Wars 8 - 9.0 - light crease top of back cover, very light bends to cover, very light spine stress lines to cover, very small crease left bottom of back cover

Star Wars 68 - 7.5 - light bends to cover, light crease right top of back cover, very light spine stress lines

Overall, I consider the results to be "okay" considering that this was my very first submission and I am still learning a lot about slabbing, much of it from the forum members here. Reading the results was a bit of a roller coaster (haha), especially when the 7.5 was the first one that I saw at the top of the list! Gut. Punch.

My intention here with this thread is not to whine and complain about the results however. My intention is to post my thoughts as to what I may have done wrong and to seek further advice from the experts and veterans here. Hopefully, future newbies can read this and learn from my mistakes.

I will admit that I have already submitted a second batch of 15 issues, but these are ones that I felt could benefit greatly from pressing and cleaning. When I think back on how I submitted these two batches, I realized that I looked much, much more closely for subtle flaws on the issues that needed pressing and cleaning. I realized that I didn't look nearly as closely at my first batch of "perfect" condition issues as I did at my second batch. On top of that, I honestly didn't even look at the back covers of these issues at all! Obviously, looking at some of the grader's notes, this was a silly and careless mistake on my part. I realized then that I simply didn't look close enough at issues that seemed perfect at first glance.

LESSON LEARNED: Look very, very, VERY closely for flaws, regardless of how subtle, even on the back cover.

And as a result of the lesson learned above, I'm considering just automatically pressing and cleaning every single issue that I send in from now on as I've noticed is common practice with many of the forum members here. If I had done that with this first batch, I'm sure that the gradings would have been better, with the GI Joe 1 and the Peter Parker 64 possibly being bumped up to 9.8.

Knowing all of this, I am already considering re-submitting for grading and pressing/cleaning all three Star Wars issues and the Secret Wars issue. I believe that pressing and cleaning would be worth it for the GI Joe 1 considering the large FMV difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 copy, if I determine that the flaws are able to be fixed (grader's notes: very light soiling on cover, very light spine stress lines to cover). Obviously, I will not resubmit any of these if the defects are unfixable (colour-breaking defects, stains, etc.), so I will have to look very closely at these issues when I receive them back in the mail.

To those who have managed to read this far (haha), am I going about things correctly? Is resubmitting for grading but with pressing and cleaning this time around possibly going to be a net benefit? (I am more than willing to incur the extra cost for this) Does it seem to you that I've made other mistakes that I haven't realized? Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give. Now crossing my fingers for my second submission!

Rick

Not too shabby at all, glad it can do better on the resub, it's all a learning curve. I myself don't press much. Problem is I usually buy already slabbed then I don't know if it's been pressed lol

Still you've got good advice, and you can share it, that's the fun :)

I think your results were great.  Two key books at 9.8 is a fantastic way to start.

I'm also fairly new to slabbing comics and I've learned a few things that might also help.  For books that are already slabbed that could improve grades with a press, I normally wait until one of the creators is appearing at a con or doing a signing before I crack the slab and take the comic to the signing through either a facilitator or at a con with a CGC witness to get the yellow label and also submit with a press.  That way, you are cracking the book not only for a press, but also to add a witnessed CGC signature for a yellow label. (Books that already have a signature can only be cracked by a facilitator or by CGC at a con to maintain the yellow label).

Also, I would also recommend utilizing CFP Comics and Services (you will see him referred to on these boards as Joey Post).  He is GREAT to work with and he will pre-screen your comics to give you a sense of what grades are realistic.  For every single submission for me he has been 100% accurate.  Every grade prediction he made for me was spot on.  I still suck at predicting grades for comics so I feel better getting help from someone with more experience.  I've also done waaaaaay better with grade bumps with him than from CCS.

Good Luck.

17 hours ago, Rick Rizun said:

Hi, everyone! As the thread title implies, I just received the results of my first ever CGC submission!

Just for background, I collected comics during the early to mid 80's and had to quit due to high cost and to concentrate on school and university. I recently retired and finally got back into collecting within the past 2 years. Recently discovered the awesomeness of slabbed comics and decided to try my hand at it.

Okay, just received the results today, but have not received the physical slabs yet as they are still in the mail:

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 12/84 Marvel Comics Canadian Price Variant 9.0 WHITE

Before I begin, I will say that I purposefully submitted comics that I thought were in excellent condition with the full intention of receiving grades in the 9.4 - 9.8 range for all of them. I thought that they were in good enough condition to receive high grades without the need for pressing and cleaning (which was not done on these 9 issues).

Needless to say, I was VERY happy with the three 9.8's, especially the Wolverine 1 and ASM 252. The head-scratchers for me were my two copies of Star Wars 42. I believed them both to be in fantastic condition, figuring that at least one of them would be a 9.8. The grader's notes were as follows:

Star Wars 42 - 9.4 - very light finger bends on cover, very light spine stress lines to cover

I was also surprised at the grading for Secret Wars 8 and the 7.5 grading for Star Wars 68 was an absolute gut punch I have to say because it seemed fine to me when I submitted it. Here are the grader's notes for those two issues:

Secret Wars 8 - 9.0 - light crease top of back cover, very light bends to cover, very light spine stress lines to cover, very small crease left bottom of back cover

Star Wars 68 - 7.5 - light bends to cover, light crease right top of back cover, very light spine stress lines

Overall, I consider the results to be "okay" considering that this was my very first submission and I am still learning a lot about slabbing, much of it from the forum members here. Reading the results was a bit of a roller coaster (haha), especially when the 7.5 was the first one that I saw at the top of the list! Gut. Punch.

My intention here with this thread is not to whine and complain about the results however. My intention is to post my thoughts as to what I may have done wrong and to seek further advice from the experts and veterans here. Hopefully, future newbies can read this and learn from my mistakes.

I will admit that I have already submitted a second batch of 15 issues, but these are ones that I felt could benefit greatly from pressing and cleaning. When I think back on how I submitted these two batches, I realized that I looked much, much more closely for subtle flaws on the issues that needed pressing and cleaning. I realized that I didn't look nearly as closely at my first batch of "perfect" condition issues as I did at my second batch. On top of that, I honestly didn't even look at the back covers of these issues at all! Obviously, looking at some of the grader's notes, this was a silly and careless mistake on my part. I realized then that I simply didn't look close enough at issues that seemed perfect at first glance.

LESSON LEARNED: Look very, very, VERY closely for flaws, regardless of how subtle, even on the back cover.

And as a result of the lesson learned above, I'm considering just automatically pressing and cleaning every single issue that I send in from now on as I've noticed is common practice with many of the forum members here. If I had done that with this first batch, I'm sure that the gradings would have been better, with the GI Joe 1 and the Peter Parker 64 possibly being bumped up to 9.8.

Knowing all of this, I am already considering re-submitting for grading and pressing/cleaning all three Star Wars issues and the Secret Wars issue. I believe that pressing and cleaning would be worth it for the GI Joe 1 considering the large FMV difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 copy, if I determine that the flaws are able to be fixed (grader's notes: very light soiling on cover, very light spine stress lines to cover). Obviously, I will not resubmit any of these if the defects are unfixable (colour-breaking defects, stains, etc.), so I will have to look very closely at these issues when I receive them back in the mail.

To those who have managed to read this far (haha), am I going about things correctly? Is resubmitting for grading but with pressing and cleaning this time around possibly going to be a net benefit? (I am more than willing to incur the extra cost for this) Does it seem to you that I've made other mistakes that I haven't realized? Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give. Now crossing my fingers for my second submission!

Rick

Consider the pre-screen process if you are after 9.8s. It requires a minimum 25 books submitted but you dont pay for anything that falls below your desired threshold. There is a $5 fee for each book that does fall under the threshold though. Anything you get back can then be sent for pressing if you still want.

The cgc grading videos can give you an idea of defects to look for before submitting as well.

19 hours ago, Rick Rizun said:

Rick

Great 1st submission review and reaction, kudos!

To answer your questions, none of the defects listed say they are color breaking but understand there could be other flaws not listed as well.  While you could get bumps for sure in each case you might not get enough to move up with the G.I.Joe.  The Star Wars and Secret Wars would absolutely benefit though.

Are you looking to sell them or keep for PC?  If the intent is to sell, you need to determine if the amount invested with resubbing will be worth it or not.  If it is for PC and you are just hoping for a better grade then go for it!

Edited by Crops068
spelling error

Lots of fantastic advice from everyone here. Thank you all! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Definitely going to consider the pre-screen option from now on. What is a reasonable threshold to shoot for? Do not slab anything under 9.4 or 9.6? Or do people just go for it and specify 9.8 or higher only (or is that being silly and greedy)?

On the other hand, if I just press and clean all issues that I want slabbed regardless, then the grade will be the highest that it could potentially get regardless of how high I want it to get. Hopefully that makes sense, haha. Translation: I want all my grades to be 9.8, but this is not realistically possible even with pressing. I have issues that will not be 9.8 but I still want them slabbed anyway. Therefore, just press everything.

I'm torn on the GI Joe 1 because re-submitting may not do anything, although the suggestion to wait for a signing opportunity seems like a smart thing to do seeing as I'm slabbing these for my personal collection, so there's no hurry to crack it open and re-submit at this point.

Thanks again for all the great advice, everyone!

I am curious if you could explain a bit about how the pricing works.

I am in a similar situation that you were.  I used to collect comics in the late 70 and early 80, stopped for a while and collected again in the early 90.  I have been thinking about getting some of my comics slabbed but have been confused how the pricing works.

For example, I have several copies of ASM 361.  If I submit them and get a variety of results back like a 9.2, 9.6, and 9.8 then would I be charged different rates depending on the grade?  I could be charged $27 (Value), $38, (Economy), and $65 (Standard).  Is this correct?

Thanks!

Yeah, I found the pricing structure a little strange at first. In the specific example that you've given, you would submit those issues at the modern tier because they were published after 1975 (and also assuming the value of each issue is under $200). You would then be charged $20 per issue regardless of what grade is given to each.

It sounds like you're in the same boat as me. Most, if not all, of your comics will be post-1975 and thus you likely would submit them in the modern tier. The other tiers are used if you are submitting older comics and/or very valuable comics worth way more than $200.

It really helped me to understand more about slabbing by reading these very forums. Read up on the pressing and cleaning services (CCS) as well. The before and after pics on the CCS page are amazing. I haven't personally had any pressing done but I currently have a submission of 15 comics that are awaiting pressing, cleaning and grading that I can't wait to get back!

CGC and CCS are a game changer, a fantastic evolution of this hobby that we all love!

Congrats to the OP for getting a disappointing first sub, and actually deciding to learn from it rather than go on a tirade. Well done! Stick around, lots to learn here!

19 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Congrats to the OP for getting a disappointing first sub, and actually deciding to learn from it rather than go on a tirade. Well done! Stick around, lots to learn here!

It's awesome how so many of you are so eager to help newbs like myself. It's very much appreciated!

On 10/9/2020 at 10:25 PM, SpideyFan64 said:

I am curious if you could explain a bit about how the pricing works.

I am in a similar situation that you were.  I used to collect comics in the late 70 and early 80, stopped for a while and collected again in the early 90.  I have been thinking about getting some of my comics slabbed but have been confused how the pricing works.

For example, I have several copies of ASM 361.  If I submit them and get a variety of results back like a 9.2, 9.6, and 9.8 then would I be charged different rates depending on the grade?  I could be charged $27 (Value), $38, (Economy), and $65 (Standard).  Is this correct?

Thanks!

The tier and the declared value essentially go hand in hand with anything modern.  I would recommend selecting the tier you feel the book is worth and declare the value you will be insuring the book for, both going to, waiting at and coming back from CGC.

So as your example, ASM 361, if you are comfortable with the Modern tier, max $200 declared value, then select that and create the submission form for all three.  Now if you sent in an Amazing Fantasy 15 in the modern category somehow, then CGC would alter your submission to the proper tier and up charge you appropriately.  Otherwise you would be charged for the Modern tier on each of the ASM 361 books you sent, no matter if they come back 9.2, 9.4, 9.8, or even 10.0.

Declared value is important though, in the event something was to happen to the book while in the hands of CGC, that value you specified is what they would cover.  So if you feel the ASM 361 is worth $1k, then I would recommend selecting a tier that allows for $1k in declared value.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:35 PM, Rick Rizun said:

It's awesome how so many of you are so eager to help newbs like myself. It's very much appreciated!

You will learn A LOT if you just read the threads on the forum, more if you ask and post questions like you did. You will love it here!