• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

233 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, Bookery said:

I was using "tad" as an acronym... for "total add decimal".

But seriously.....the "10x guide" is a really useful rule of thumb that I use all the time, so @Bookery your guide continues to be an incredible resource for anyone who has 2nd grade math skills! You sure you don't want to republish a 2023 version and just add a bunch of 0s to every price..... :) 

On 1/27/2023 at 4:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:

When I bought this for $25 in a small lot a couple of years ago, I knew it had to be a "classic cover" even though it was not designated and I did not know much about Spicy mags at all. After seeing one go from $320 to $1560.00 in the live bidding last night, I am convinced my Spidey senses properly alerted me :)  I never would have thunk it.

2133157125_GayParisienneJan1937.thumb.jpg.9734119298091b93b8bf7486ed2661e8.jpg

Yah I fell in love with this book when I saw it in the bookery guide.  A real gem of a cover.

On 1/13/2023 at 6:06 AM, Bookery said:

However it also raises a question.  Since this will obviously take over a year to bring all of these to sale, why was it decided not to wait a little longer and have them CGC-graded?  Since it could be years for some of these issues to surface again, it would have seemed the perfect collection to officially introduce the coming pulp slabs.  Just curious...

Yes, doesn't seem to make much sense from a strictly financial POV unless he was given the inside scoop that the grading of slabs is still a work in progress and quite far in the distance.  (shrug)

I know of a few collectors that have extensive pulp collections who are just waiting for CGC to implement grading for them, but definitely nothing at all like what the Kump's were able to compile and put together.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

On 1/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, doesn't seem to make much sense from a strictly financial POV unless he was given the inside scoop that the grading of slabs is still a work in progress and quite far in the distance.  (shrug)

I know of a few collectors that have extensive pulp collections who are just waiting for CGC to implement grading for them, but definitely nothing at all like what the Kump's were able to compile and put together.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

Someone told me they bought all the pulps you saw from him.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:28 AM, lou_fine said:
On 1/13/2023 at 10:06 PM, Bookery said:

However it also raises a question.  Since this will obviously take over a year to bring all of these to sale, why was it decided not to wait a little longer and have them CGC-graded?  Since it could be years for some of these issues to surface again, it would have seemed the perfect collection to officially introduce the coming pulp slabs.  Just curious...

Expand  

Seems to me like the prices of raw pulps have already run up to anticipated slabbed levels.  Selling in raw form now eliminates the risk of slabbed grades coming in lower than expected, undetected restoration, etc. 

Bird in hand, etc.

On 1/20/2023 at 5:44 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/19/2023 at 9:03 PM, comicnoir said:

Overhang presents too many problems.

That was the reason that was always cited for not slabbing pulps, so I had thought they had finally figured out some way to deal with it when they started talking about finally going forward with slabbing them. 

Rather surprised that you would be out of the loop on this one here, but indeed YES they have:  :fear:  lol

scissors clip art cartoon vector

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/28/2023 at 6:09 PM, tth2 said:
On 1/28/2023 at 2:28 PM, lou_fine said:

but definitely nothing at all like what the Kump's were able to compile and put together

If this was one of the best collections, then it really confirms that VF is as good as it gets for a 1930s-era pulp.

Well, I guess this means you are out of the game here, but happily for the other pulp collectors here, one less competitor to worry about.  :bigsmile:

On 2/4/2023 at 11:10 AM, Bugfarm said:

It seems that the tide has definitely shifted.  Was following auctions on eBay of a few Dime Mystery, Horror Story/Terror Tales.  They were all going for well over $1000 each.  A couple over $2000……. In VG to Fine+ condition.  Yikes

Yah, had several I was following and got priced out.  Wonder if these spikes will last.