• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

233 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2023 at 10:19 AM, PopKulture said:

It’s sad to see what’s happening in pulps. I say this as someone who’s dabbled in them for forty years. The current disdain for money in pulps is barely more tasteful than buying Balenciaga sneakers for your toddler.  :facepalm:

Some of these prices are hhhhhhhwacky.  

On 4/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, PopKulture said:

It’s sad to see what’s happening in pulps. I say this as someone who’s dabbled in them for forty years. The current disdain for money in pulps is barely more tasteful than buying Balenciaga sneakers for your toddler.  :facepalm:

I harbor no disdain for those who pay large prices for pulps, and I guess I didn't realize there were those who did.  I've started into them myself.  I will add my personal observation that they are a world different from comic books.  The lurid cover is about all there is, but that's enough for me. The illustrations inside are sparse.  And since the stories inside are fairly random, there's only a few noteworthy pulps, to me at least.  Others likely have a higher sophistication level on the subject, and I will gladly step aside . . .

On 4/17/2023 at 2:04 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I harbor no disdain for those who pay large prices for pulps, and I guess I didn't realize there were those who did. 

Where did I write that I have disdain for those who pay large prices for pulps? I suggested they have a disdain for money. Those are vastly different stances.

I don’t think impulsive or wildly speculative and inflationary spending sprees are good for the hobby itself and are somewhat akin to the gentrification of neighborhoods. I can lament for the people who lived there for generations that can no longer afford either the rents or to move. That doesn’t mean I necessarily harbor ill will towards the people moving into those neighborhoods. It’s the phenomenon as a whole that invites pause. 

I am a capitalist who rejects knee-jerk defenses of the excesses of capitalism. Do I think that the most ardent and enthusiastic fans fill whatever Super Bowl arena each year or will sit courtside at the NBA finals coming up soon? I do not. Do I think it’s sad that lower-income fans get priced out of concerts all the time? Yeah, I do. None of these examples would tend to suggest that capitalism is somehow a panacea of virtue. 

The good news is that the crotchety old guard of pulp collectors, in dimly-lit dusty basements everywhere, will still be able to read things like the Park Avenue Hunt Club in their original format, for a while it seems, as their covers aren’t very lurid. :preach:

Edited by PopKulture

On 4/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, PopKulture said:

The current disdain for money in pulps is barely more tasteful than buying Balenciaga sneakers for your toddler.  :facepalm:

Perhaps I misunderstood. I took you to say there’s people who turn up their noses at those who spend big on pulps. Maybe it was the balenciaga sneakers that threw me

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/17/2023 at 12:38 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have been running all of our pulp auctions since our first dedicated pulp auction in December of 2020. I really didn't discover pulps until late 2018, but have really come to love them. 

We have seen a real rise in interest in pulp magazines primarily from the golden age collecting community that has been discovering them over the last couple of years. There are a wide variety of buyers, including people who are interested in the literary merit of some of the pulps.

This last auction HA.com/47151 had over 7300 page views and 53,000 bids. There were 677 unique bidders with 93 different winning bidders. 

Do you have metrics for the all-Baker auction?

On 4/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, comicnoir said:

Practically all the pulps were won by one person.

Not accurate!

There were 677 unique bidders with 93 different winning bidders. 

I know the people who won the bigger books, many different bidders!

Edited by detective35

On 4/29/2023 at 8:32 PM, detective35 said:

Not accurate!

There were 677 unique bidders with 93 different winning bidders. 

I know the people who won the bigger books, many different bidders!

I know the person who won the Amazing Stories and Weird Tales first Conan. Or so he said he won. Said he won a lot of others.